• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We are #1! .... Most Stressful job.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if we're to believe your profile (and I never put all my details in mine for reasons of privacy), then you have a single turboprop type rating, and yet you're telling a guy with more than 1/2 a dozen, including widebody jets how much work there is involved in being a pilot?

Have you ever flowing outside the US?(all the time) Have you ever flown an NDB approach in non-radar in Africa in a heavy?(gee, does a C-5 count?) Have you ever flown through south asia or the middle east and had to use 2 radios and 2 charts to keep in contact with the right ATC authorities so you don't get blown out of the sky by their airforce?(let me one up you here....have YOU ever actually been shot at while at the controls? Didn't think so) all while you're on the back side of the clock, jet lagged, on min rest and flying a 13 hour leg?

Yeah, it's easy to buzz back and forth in a 340 between your hub and your spoke... memorizing the ATC frequencies, the arrivals and the airport map.. buy try being a real airline pilot for a few days.. and then tell me there's no stress.

LMAO! Your entire post is based on the ASSumption that my profile outlines my whole career. "Profiles" are for egomaniacs and mine won't show you a tenth of my experience or career.:rolleyes:

LMAO! Your entire post is based on the ASSumption that my profile outlines my whole career. "Profiles" are for egomaniacs.

well it paints a picture.... this is the internet, and for all I know you can claim to be Chuck Yeager... but the reality is you chose to list one type, a 340, and that's not the same as listing nothing, as I have the I have to ASSume that it's what you do.

Ok, just saw your creative edit... fair enough, but I've been on here for over a decade and I seem to recall you're a commuter guy... were you actually flying that C5 or sitting sideways when those things happened? ;)

Last edited:
And mine is just flat out wrong and not 1/10th either- but here's the deal- you're not going to convince most pilots that a USAIR pilot isn't managing stress. How you deal is up to you-- but it's there. And no tough guy routine will save you from it. Like I said- we mostly fly w/ a lot of really good pilots, where the job is easy and the people are able to handle all the situations the job throws at us- doesn't mean stress isn't there. Most men would shat their drawers doing what we routinely do and I don't take that for granted

LMAO! Your entire post is based on the ASSumption that my profile outlines my whole career. "Profiles" are for egomaniacs and mine won't show you a tenth of my experience or career.:rolleyes:

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

Did you think that one up all on your own or did you have to google overused uncreative comebacks?

Why is it that every thread on this web site has to end up with name calling and insults? It is embarrising to read some on this stuff.
Now, back on the subject. Years ago in a recurrent, Delta brought is a shrink to conduct a one hour class about something, can`t remember what...it`s been too many years ago. I do remember talking about stress. Every pilot laughed about his little conclusions about how much stress every one of us was under. He then said that many, many studies have shown that our job was filled with stress, but we, well most of us,were masters at handling a stress filled job. I still don`t think it`s all that stressful. Now, back to my rocking chair.

Yeah, let's discount a psychiatrist... Don't we get mad when people can't get the specifics of OUR job right and tell people to let US do OUR jobs? Then we turn right around and scoff at a psychiatrist for telling you something that actually makes sense.

If we are all excellent at managing our stress, especially when it comes to our jobs, would you actually recognize how much stress you were under until you were removed from it and then suddenly re-immersed in it? Would we recognize it even then being good at mitigating/minimizing it?

You can actually tell the people who AREN'T good at handling their stress. They're the nervous Nellie's, the micromanagers, the Captain Blythe, the Kernals in this industry. They kind of stand out when you run across one, but when you step back and think about it, you'd realize that there's a LOT of stress in this career.

No, I wouldn't liken it to a soldier out there defending our way of life, getting shot at or risking IED's daily, but it's stressful nonetheless, and likely much more stressful than most 9-5 jobs out there.

YMMV

we mostly fly w/ a lot of really good pilots, -

This is the reason the job appears to be easier to us, than it really is. We are very lucky to have solid skills sitting next to us.

I am reminded of this every few months when the wicket gets a little sticky.

This is the reason the job appears to be easier to us, than it really is. We are very lucky to have solid skills sitting next to us.

I am reminded of this every few months when the wicket gets a little sticky.

Exactly. Is it easy for Jerry Rice to run a sub-5 second 40-yd dash? : Yes
IS IT EASY TO RUN A SUB-5 SECOND 40YD DASH?--- most of us could only dream about it.

Latest resources

Back