• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We are #1! .... Most Stressful job.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilots are their own worst enemies. Down-playing the stresses and risks of the job, the time away from home, the high divorce rate, the non-existent retirement, the inability to pay back student loans for the first 20 years of your career,,,

the list goes on and on, and as soon as you idiots stop down-playing the risks and troubles of the career, maybe we can work on getting back to somewhere near what this career should pay.

In other words, have a hot, steaming cup of stfu and learn how to protect your career. Freaking mensa scholars, i tell ya... :rolleyes:

(it's nice not being a /mod anymore). :d

+ 1..............

Lear +1

We're over ourselves. Many have bought into the mgmt lines.
It's not that stressful for me...- but I'm under no illusions that it IS stressful for many- and most of those firefighters and cops would sh/t their drawers doing what we routinely do.
Believe me- the good cops aren't stressed either- but that usually comes with lion's share of talent and experience and right mentality.

Don't forget the stress of knowing that we are getting a large daily radiation dosage every trip.
ja'd

Down-playing the stresses and risks of the job, the time away from home, the high divorce rate, the non-existent retirement, the inability to pay back student loans for the first 20 years of your career,,,

The list goes on and on, and as soon as you idiots stop down-playing the risks and troubles of the career, maybe we can work on getting back to somewhere NEAR what this career SHOULD pay.
Are you talking about flying or the other 99% of professions out there. Seriously. We have it pretty freaking good.

Yeah it has its stresses, but 30 years ago I was digging ditches. Try doing that for a whole summer and you will know real stress. Of course if I ever dig another ditch it will be because I drove a jet in the dirt, I guess that would be a stressful day.

The flying, weather and mechanical issues. That's not stressful. Constantly dealing with disruptive pax, busy airspace; hostile, mgmt, scheduling and dispatch, FAA and TSA. That's what's stressful. It's constant attention to things outside the cockpit, threatening the flight, that drain a pilot.

Yeah it has its stresses, but 30 years ago I was digging ditches. Try doing that for a whole summer and you will know real stress. Of course if I ever dig another ditch it will be because I drove a jet in the dirt, I guess that would be a stressful day.

Depends on your mentality- fresh air- hard, physical work- I love that- now being relatively ignorant and uneducated and living on the edge of your finances striving to gain skills to make it in the world- that's stressful. What's more stressful is never working on yourself and staying a wage earner and being confused why life is so hard.

But that's not a great argument in this conversation. Lear had it right- no sleep, the constant threat of losing our job temporarily through furloughs or violations, or permanently through health, violations, or corporate bankruptcies- IS a stress. None of us are immune-

Don't confuse strong and talented enough to handle it, with an actual lack of stress.

Those of us strong and professional enough to handle the stress of flying, would be strong and professional enough handle ditch-digging. (if we had to)

Waveflyer, I'll agree my attempt at humor makes for a lousy argument on this discussion. I will also agree that this job is stressful with all of the stressors inside and outside of the cockpit. I suppose I could use police officer in a bad neighborhood night after night as an example, or my neighbor who is still trying to make partner in a law firm after 16 years of 60 to 70 hour work weeks. Or another neighbor down the street who is an OB-GYN and every time I talk to her she is fending off another lawsuit. I could go on, but I need to go fly a 3 day trip. The most stressful job, give me a break.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back