• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green Banana

Request Direct Honolulu..
The 10 Most Stressful Jobs of 2011

Job-related stress is on the rise again! And it’s no surprise given the slow economy and disappearing pay increases. Even if you’re lucky enough to have a job, the crush of extra responsibility and uncertainty about the future can take its toll on your health and well being.
In fact, 70% of all employees say that work is the main cause of their stress, and nearly half (49%) attribute that stress to worries about job stability, according to a recent survey by the American Psychological Association. Many employees also say they’re unhappy with how little their companies are doing to help them find a work-life balance.
To avoid the most stressful jobs, consider our annual survey of salaried positions, which shows that commercial airline pilots lead the way. Danger is no stranger to pilots, which ranks as the nation’s most stressful job. Pilots on a recent Southwest Airlines flight can attest to the stress they face, after a hole ripped through the fuselage of their aircraft, forcing them to make an emergency landing in the desert. From braving potentially faulty equipment to battling tricky weather systems to facing continued terror threats, all while ensuring the safety of their passengers, airline pilots continue to be have the most stressful job year-after-year.

http://www.careercast.com/jobs-rated/10-most-stressful-jobs-2011

Suck it up Buttercup!

We can "suck it up", we just want to be paid accordingly..............Buttercup.

Open those purse strings Harvard boys.

1. Commercial Pilot

Stress Rank: 199
Stress Score: 59.53
Hiring Outlook Rank: 91 out of 200
Hours Per Day: 9
Income: $106,153.00
The pressure is high for commercial airline pilots. They are not only expected to guarantee the safety of passengers, but to also keep their flights on-time, even when flying in inclement weather. A pilot's irregular working hours and routes lead to continual layovers in various cities and, often, to jet lag.

106K - not me, about 1/2 that gross.

The most stressful parts of my day include; not spilling my coffee while going thru security, taking my shoes off at security, not spilling my coffee as I get on a deadhead, finding another cup of coffee after I spilled mine getting on the deadhead. This job is killing me!

The most stressful parts of my day include; not spilling my coffee while going thru security, taking my shoes off at security, not spilling my coffee as I get on a deadhead, finding another cup of coffee after I spilled mine getting on the deadhead. This job is killing me!
Hit the nail on the head....
Invented stress...bunch of weak little boys

Hit the nail on the head....
Invented stress...bunch of weak little boys

Says the "Week-end Warrior" who flies patterns at his local airport and tells his friends what a TOUGH APPROACH he had to make it for dinner. Get back to work and stop DREAMING of being in the front seat will ya!!

Next time you are in the back and the flight crew is navigating level 5 thunderstorms, I'm sure you will be the first one up there saying thank you...this of course, once the blood has returned to your knuckles. :rolleyes:

Pilots are their own worst enemies. Down-playing the stresses and risks of the job, the time away from home, the high divorce rate, the non-existent retirement, the inability to pay back student loans for the first 20 years of your career,,,

The list goes on and on, and as soon as you idiots stop down-playing the risks and troubles of the career, maybe we can work on getting back to somewhere NEAR what this career SHOULD pay.

In other words, have a hot, steaming cup of STFU and learn how to protect your career. Freaking mensa scholars, I tell ya... :rolleyes:

(it's nice not being a /Mod anymore). :D

Yes , so much more stressful than soldiers or cops who actually have bullets that fly their way. Those firefighters who rush into fires or rescue pilots that fly in the real crap weather to rescue people certainly must think, "I'm so glad I'm not flying a narrowbody on autopilot and going through TSA checkpoints because that's truly scary stuff."

Latest resources

Back