• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We are #1! .... Most Stressful job.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not the flying that is stressful, it's the uncertainty, pay-cuts, long-a$$ days, short overnights, etc, etc, etc!

GMAFB! Stressful my ass. The desk job I had while on furlough was ten times more stressful than flying. We're a bunch of pampered cry babies who'll never make enough money like back in the "good" ol' days, never have the schedules we so richly deserve, never get the respect we so badly deserve to stroke our over-inflated ego's, and on and on......what a bunch of whiners. It's no wonder we get stereotyped as pompous a$$holes by a good percentage of the public. And we seriously think they'll give a $hit when we picket about how bad we have it.........pathetic.

Grow a pair, show up, do your job and STFU already. Our grandparents would be embarrassed.

GMAFB! Stressful my ass. The desk job I had while on furlough was ten times more stressful than flying. We're a bunch of pampered cry babies who'll never make enough money like back in the "good" ol' days, never have the schedules we so richly deserve, never get the respect we so badly deserve to stroke our over-inflated ego's, and on and on......what a bunch of whiners. It's no wonder we get stereotyped as pompous a$$holes by a good percentage of the public. And we seriously think they'll give a $hit when we picket about how bad we have it.........pathetic.

Grow a pair, show up, do your job and STFU already. Our grandparents would be embarrassed.

wow.. do me a favor, the next tine you're furloughed, look for a better job and stay there.

If this job is so stressful, perhaps you should follow your own advice.

ever try to change careers in your 40's? when the only professional skill you have is flying?

Thankfully I am not as stressed as some since I don't work for a living... I work for something to do.

ever try to change careers in your 40's? when the only professional skill you have is flying?

Thankfully I am not as stressed as some since I don't work for a living... I work for something to do.

So by your own admission you haven't worked in another career, so how do you know if this is stressful compared to other careers? I have changed professions, not in my 40's though, but in my late 30's. Not to undermine this career or make light of it's flaws, but this job is so much less stressful that it's almost comical. Yes, it has its drawbacks, yes, it can involve life threatening situations, but going home after a trip without carrying any of the baggage to sleep on is unlike any corporate job you will ever have, period.

So by your own admission you haven't worked in another career, so how do you know if this is stressful compared to other careers? I have changed professions, not in my 40's though, but in my late 30's. Not to undermine this career or make light of it's flaws, but this job is so much less stressful that it's almost comical. Yes, it has its drawbacks, yes, it can involve life threatening situations, but going home after a trip without carrying any of the baggage to sleep on is unlike any corporate job you will ever have, period.

well, I have many friends, from my school days that I keep in close touch with.... they work in various careers and we compare all the time... some are less and some are more stressed.. the stress in our career is more to do with the future and supply vs demand for pilots.. not the actual work itself. With that said, the most stressful moment of my life is when I had smoke fill the cabin/cockpit of a citation jet I was flying many years back.. it was pure luck and some skill that got us on the ground before we couldn't see anything due to smoke.. you've heard the stories.. hours of boredom followed by seconds of sheer terror..

It's still off to me how pilots can make the argument against the stress- makes me think you're in management- or people who downplay this career aren't that good- don't studythat hard- don't put much effort into it and things get missed (or would get missed if it weren't for their flying partner). Or you've just been lucky- Look- there is a big difference between being well suited for and talented at the job, recognizing the benefits of the job (ie: no way to take it home w/ you) AND saying it has no stress.
Bc that's pure and simple lack of experience and perspective- and it's arrogant too. If you're not stressed at this job- chances are you've never been furloughed, never seen or been part of an FAA witch-hunt, and never had an emergency or weather related incident that really nailed down that "life-threatening at times" attribute that you just downplayed.

Or you're just mgmt and want your pilots downplaying themselves

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back