• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

We all want age 60 changed?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you read the article closely, she was saying she and all of her family think it should be changes, not all pilots think it should be changed. They're welcome to their opinion.

Paragraph copied from a story on a news site I visit. I definitely do not think this way and don't believe "most people do" Maybe she needs a head exam. Any fly with this broad? Deuce pilot income baby!

It's all about context my friend. The sentence,
“Pretty much all of us think age 65 should be implemented,” if taken on it's own suggests every airline pilot wants to fly past age 60 or at least wants the option. However that sentence is directly preceded by "Her husband is a Delta Air Lines pilot. Her sister flies for Chautauqua Airlines, a regional carrier. Her brother-in-law takes United Parcel Service planes into the air. They are all in their 30s." You see, while it would be impossible to know exactly what she meant without speaking to her directly, but a reasonable person could deduce that she was speaking for her husband, sister, and brother-in-law, but not for the entire population.

Perhaps a semester in reading comprehension at the local community college is in order before the next time you suggest a "broad" get her "head examined".

At some point, no matter how physically apt you are, your mind starts to slow down. It happens to everyone. You start not being able to react as fast to certain situations. I think that's where the age 60 rule came from and I've talked to people who have retired at age 60 who have agreed that they think their mind isn't as sharp as it used to be and they're glad that the retirement age is 60.

I definitely think she's on the right track when she talks about the selfishness being a major reason.

Of course there are people who say that their mind isn't as sharp at age 60. Just as there are people who say they're on top of their game. Heck, since driving is more dangerous than flying, maybe people shouldn't drive after age 60 since "their minds aren't as sharp." :rolleyes:

A more persuasive argument would be that Corporate operators have been keeping pilots over 60 on the payroll for a long, long time and those guys are doing just fine.

All that stuff aside, here's a more important question...what's wrong with letting someone who's medically and mentally fit stay in the cockpit till they are 65??

Yes, it is. It should be based on medical standards.

If the individual airlines want a mandatory retirement age policy, they set one or negotiate one in the bargaining process.
You bet. When the age changes the negotiating process will take care of some of the upside/downside issues that will take place.

Hi!

I want to get rid of an age limit, and all other discriminatory restrictions on people.

I was turned down for jobs because I was a guy, and my wife was turned down for a promotion because she was a girl.

Neither of us was happy. I don't want a pilot to have to quit because he is age "XX".

It is wrong, and stupid.

cliff
LRD

PS-The JAA started an Age 70 study committee earlier this year.

If you read the article closely, she was saying she and all of her family think it should be changes, not all pilots think it should be changed. They're welcome to their opinion.

True, but she goes on to say "“I haven’t met one person who thinks a person between age 60 and 65 is incapable of flying.” Since the ALPA polling of her own airline, ExpressJet, indicated that a significant majority of her own pilot group is opposed to raising the age, I find her statement to completely lack credibility.

True, but she goes on to say "“I haven’t met one person who thinks a person between age 60 and 65 is incapable of flying.” Since the ALPA polling of her own airline, ExpressJet, indicated that a significant majority of her own pilot group is opposed to raising the age, I find her statement to completely lack credibility.

I don't disagree. Leave it to the media to find one person who will back up the view they want you to have, then pass that person's opinion off as a universal fact. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back