• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

watch for the bird --- ejection

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The wierd warning sounded like "Gear Not Down" after i listened to it a couple of times. But the warning voice did have a strange accent.

I was there. Not really.

Looked to me as if the pilot turned away from a populated area before jettisoning the plane. Whether that is true and if so, deliberate only he (she) knows.

9GClub said:
That sucks.

Was he turning to try to make it back to the runway? Should he have flown it straight ahead?

Nothing is absolute. I have had a low altitude engine failure (350 feet). Had I gone straight ahead, I wouldn't be here today.

So, have we determined what type of airframe? I don't think it was a Viper, because the speed it maintained after the ingestion seemed way to low.

The HUD symbology looks too different to be a F-16... And I don't know of any blocks with a male bitching betty with a British accent

From another message board on the same video:

"Turns out it was a RCAF Hawk at Moose Jaw during the spring of last year. Ate a seagull at 800' after a touch and go. The British student had minor cuts but was drinking in the mess that evening. The Canadian IP wasn't so lucky, broke his femur in two places and his pelvis. Several months in the hospital."

Interesting video. I couldn't make out the second aural warning until I read some of the other posts and I agree, it sounds like "gear not down".

Anybody else notice how the plane appeared to pitch down a good 20-30 degrees during or immediately after they seemed to eject? Some kind of automatic thing to help the seats clear the plane, just the rocket motors in the seats pushing the nose down as they leave the plane, or just the controls getting flailed around during the ejection?

9GClub said:
That sucks.

Was he turning to try to make it back to the runway? Should he have flown it straight ahead?

If he had had a bit more altitude, would he have been able to do a 180 dead-stick without pancaking or do you need a whole lot more speed/steeper descent rate than that in a jet?

What would "straight ahead" done for him? The runway was behind him. The straight ahead thing is if you're going to stay with the aircraft and ride it in. His only option was jumping out if he couldn't make the runway. At least he tried that until it was obvious there would be no restart and the runway was not close enough.

Latest resources

Back