Waldo! Where are the jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lineflyer1

DAL,CAL,UAL,LUV,USAIR,AMR,AAI,FEDEX,UPS,ABX,KAL, on and on..

Deepening Pilot Shortage to Raise Fares

Expect to see more gray hair next time you peek into an airliner cockpit -- and pay more for the privilege.

By Martha Lynn Craver, Associate Editor, The Kiplinger Letter

September 14, 2007

RELATED FORECASTS
HELPFUL LINKS
EDITOR'S PICKS

Airlines grappling with a growing shortage of pilots are in a squeeze. More baby boomer pilots face the mandatory retirement age of 60, and there are fewer young people interested in taking their seats. With salaries and benefits on the decline in recent years, a career as an airline pilot is losing some of its glamour. U.S. carriers also face strong competition for young recruits from the military and from overseas airlines.
Demand for pilots, meanwhile, is picking up rapidly, both in the U.S. and around the world, particularly in China and India. U.S. commercial air travel is expected to grow by 500,000, to 1.2 billion passengers by 2020, according to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). Domestically, airlines are increasingly finding it more efficient to fly smaller planes, which means more-frequent flights, requiring more pilots.
image070907.gif

Uncle Sam will help some by raising the mandatory retirement age to 65. Look for the FAA to issue a rule later this month allowing one pilot of a commercial flight to be over 60, as long as the other one isn't. The International Civil Aviation Organization recently approved a fly-until-65 standard, making it easier for the FAA to follow suit.
But airlines still face an uphill battle for more pilots. They'll struggle to fill about 12,000 jobs this year and are looking at having to fill another 20,000 openings by 2009 because of retirements and other factors.
To meet the demand, airlines are offering $5000 signing bonuses and $1000 or more to employees for referrals that lead to a hire. In addition, airlines will soon offer to pay at least some of a pilot trainee's schooling costs if he or she commits to working for the airline after graduation. Costs aren't cheap -- they typically run from $175,000 to $200,000 per pilot. Regional carriers, which are especially hard hit by shortages, are also lowering experience requirements from 1500 hours to 250, the FAA minimum.
For business and other air travelers, this is not good news. It spells higher operating costs for airlines, which undoubtedly will lead to higher ticket prices. And it sure won't help with reducing flight delays and other travel hassles.
For weekly updates on topics to improve your business decisionmaking, click here.

Last edited:
Where do I click to get 2 minutes of my life back?

My vote is cast for most useless thread on FI.com for 2009 already.

Amazing is it not. 16 months ago huge pilot shortages.

Today, practically no one hiring and many are downsizing.

Even Greyhound is laying off people.

Don't worry.....at 1201 today everything will get better.....Jobs will be created....Everyone will be happy...

Don't worry.....at 1201 today everything will get better.....Jobs will be created....Everyone will be happy...

Yeah just like that.....

The phone will ring at 1202 but it won't be a job offer it'll be just another bill collector.

I have "guarded optimism" that this "so called change" will be good for the United States but I'm not drinking the Obama flavored cool aid.....

Where do I click to get 2 minutes of my life back?

My vote is cast for most useless thread on FI.com for 2009 already.

You got my vote....

Yeah just like that.....

The phone will ring at 1202 but it won't be a job offer it'll be just another bill collector.

I have "guarded optimism" that this "so called change" will be good for the United States but I'm not drinking the Obama flavored cool aid.....

I got a $750/month contractual pay raise at the first of the year. Things aren't as bad as people/media make them out to be.

Latest resources

Back