Wal-Mart is Hiring!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Timebuilder said:
Sleepy: is that 60K for a first year captain?

How long does it take to become a first year captain? How about a new hire FO?

Why is this like pulling teeth?

I don't know, I don't work for them, and don't want to. The $60,000 number came from another post on the thread. I don't have anything against them, I just wondered if they still had certain policies in place. My point was that the XNA area has a pretty low cost of living, and while their pay may seem low, it is pretty good for the area. I flew the LR-31A in Atlanta, GA and our Capt pay was around $85K per year (FO was around $60K), which was about the same a making $60K in XNA given our much higher cost of living.

Jenny sent me an email, and I also received some info from another wal-mart pilot.

Thank you.

Jenny said:

"As far as our minimums to be considered for a flight position is 2000 hours total time, 500 hours multi time, commercial license with a instrument rating and a current second class medical.

We only hire for the Lear Jet first officer position."

Also, upgrade time has slowed as the pay was raised closer to industry standard, and upgrades are based on evaluations rather than seniority.

I'm not sure why this couldn't be stated here, or why there is no preference for pilots with current jet experience.

I hope this helps those of you with at least 2,000 hours.

This whole thread is getting way out of hand. If this department were as insignificant as many have said that it is, it's really surprising that it has generated over 2000 reads and 55 posts.

Sleepy: is that 60K for a first year captain?

How long does it take to become a first year captain? How about a new hire FO?

Why is this like pulling teeth?

The first year Lear captain pay here is $65k. I ran that through the cost-of-living calculator at salary.com (which is a really cool site, by the way), and found that that is equivalent to $89k in the NYC area when adjusted for the cost of living. New hire F/O's start at $40k, which equates to about $58k in the NYC area. All of our salaries fall in line with the salaries quoted on salary.com, especially if the bonus and profit sharing is included. Our bonus this year was 20%.

As far as the upgrade time, there really is no answer. Upgrades are made to meet the needs of the department. The department exists to provide logistical support to the Home Office management team, not to further the career of its pilots. I can tell you that it took me a year and a half to upgrade to PIC in the Commanders (which we no longer have), then another 6 months to upgrade to PIC in the Lears, and a total of 5 years to upgrade into the Challenger, but that doesn't mean anything right now. The upgrade times vary, as they do everywhere else in the industry, according to the growth of the department. I can also speculate and tell you that we are poised for another major growth spurt in the not too distant future, so upgrade times may accelerate in the near future. But no guarantees are made. That's why no one will say "it takes X number of years to upgrade."
Good for her. How long did it take for her to upgrade? How is the decision made to upgrade an FO? If not by seniority, then by what standard? If someone is passed over for an upgrade, does the company retain them and upgrade them later, are they placed on some sort of probation, or are they kept on as an FO until they decide to leave on their own?
I'm not sure how long it took Reba to upgrade. She was hired in shortly after me, and progressed through the Commanders also.
The decision as to who is upgraded is determined by a mathematical matrix system that weighs time of service, relevant flying time, past performance apprasials and a few other factors. Every eligible pilot is given a numerical rating, and the pilot with the highest rating is given a chance to upgrade. Once selected, the pilot has to pass an in-house LOFT scenario in the simulator, then is upgraded. There is a Senior F/O position that is for those who do not make the upgrade. This position mainly entails a pay increase to halfway between the pilots current salary and Capt pay. When another upgrade slot becomes available, they get first shot at it. This is a fairly new system and is still evolving. In the old days, seniority was used for a while, then it became sort of a free-for-all, and has eventually evolved into the current system.
I can't speak to the animosity against your company, but ending every sentence with an exclamation point (!) makes a questionable impression, as is making a cheap shot comment, and then saying "just wondering". I think this relflects poorly on your organization.
If you knew Reba, you'd understand that ending every sentence with an exclamation point is just her personality. She's very "spirited", so to speak. As for the cheap shot.... you opened yourself up for it with the PIC comment by implying that even though you are low time, you are ready to be PIC. I have flown with Reba quite a bit, and as a Training/Standards Captain, I can tell you that she is one of our model pilots.

What reflects poorly on our organization is what comes from people who don't know or don't speak the truth. Things were really screwed up here at one point in time, but that point has passed. I'm in my 6th year here and took the job as a stepping stone to the majors originally. I got called for an interview at TWA in Oct '99, but turned it down because I saw that things were turning the corner here. Since then, major changes have continued to happen. This isn't a group of cowboys running a bunch of ragged old Navajos and Commanders around single pilot any more. We are now the largest corporate fleet in the country, maybe in the world, running well maintained, late model airplanes to every corner of the earth. If the corporate culture doesn't fit what you want, then go elsewhere, but don't hold those of us who choose to be here accountable for the past, or for the whining of a few disgruntled individuals.

Last edited:
For current Wal-Mart pilots:
Where does Wal-Mart advertise for a pilot opening?
Average minimum times for recent hires?

Wal-Mart as far as I know does not advertise for pilots. They do however post it on the Website. This is one of the reasons I try to let people that are interested know. As for minimums...we are looking at a 2050 hour pilot all the way to 15000 hour pilots, it really does vary. the average seems to be around 3500-5500 hours, this is just a guess and means pretty much nothing. As long as you meet the mins you have a fair shot!

I'm not sure how long it took Reba to upgrade

For all that care to know, I started in January of 1998, as a Commander F/O, I has 1100TT ( mins back then were 1000TT and 100 ME) Moved to the LJ as a F/O in June of 1998 with 1400 TT. Was upgraded to Commander as Captain in October 1999. Typed and upgraded to LJ capt. in June 2000. Have been a Captain since then currently with 4600 TT.

Current Wal Mart crews this one os for you. I am 21 yrs old and obviously dont qualify for my ATP till I am 23, would this have any effect on me? Thanx everyone!!!

Nope not at all, ATP is not one of the hiring criteria.

Rebajetgirl

it's really surprising that it has generated over 2000 reads and 55 posts.

I'm not surprised at all. Apparently, it took 55 posts to get the needed infomation.

As for the cheap shot.... you opened yourself up for it with the PIC comment by implying that even though you are low time, you are ready to be PIC.

I thought I had clarified that, perhaps not. To me, PIC is a state of mind, and I've had it since 1966.

What PIC would not insist on having as much information as possible before beginning a flight? It's even in the regs, under 91.103. So, before I begin a "proposed flight" to a new employer, I want to exercise my perogative as Person In Charge of my life to find out everything that I think is relevant information in making a decision. In the context of my post, no one could have thought that I was implying that I was bucking for a captain's job right now. Unless, that is, they were very "spirited".

Now, if that isn't PIC thinking, then I'll need someone to correct me.

I have flown with Reba quite a bit, and as a Training/Standards Captain, I can tell you that she is one of our model pilots.

Hey, that's great. Maybe she thought that the info I wanted was just none of my business, or perhaps it could wait until it was determined that I met the hiring mins. I don't know. I can tell you this, though: I've know a bunch of pilots that are just EXCELLENT, but whether you'd want to fly anywhere with them is another matter. Since I have developed a modicum of respect for you, I feel I can accept your accounting of both your pilots and your company.

If the corporate culture doesn't fit what you want, then go elsewhere,

That's my point exactly, B. How can one know if a company fits what you want if you can't get current employees to talk about it?

You and Jenny have been very forthcoming, and I thank you for that. As for being an FO, I'm going to continue to strive to be the very BEST FO that I possibly can be. When that changes, then I will be striving to be the best captain that I can be: asking questions, gathering information, and making decisions. It won't happen next week, and it might not happen until next year. But when I'm ready, it will happen.

There is a PIC in me, and he has been alive and well for many, many years.

Wow... I can't believe I actually sat here for bout 30 min. to read all your posts... but I can see where little things which may seem insignificant to some, end up being signifcant to others... i.e., the "exclamation point" issues, etc....

I'm just a passing by-standard reader here.... and from what I know about the company itself, it's one of the best run companies out there in this sad state of economy, yet they remain to be profitable. I worked for SWA as a ground operations personnel in OAK, California, one of the most expensive places in the country (actually not Oakland, but the rest of the bay area... lol) for 12 years and enjoyed every bit of it, and I would, until this day, work for SWA and not so much for the wages, but for the job, the culture, the people, the benefits-- and boy! you can't beat the bennies.... (profit sharing, stocks, etc.)

Walmart is after all located in Arkansas, per lawndart... which IS a very valid point.

But if you live in CA, we all know that $40k for an FO position is not enough, you need to look at the BIG picture, and frankly, these days..... JOB SECURITY is a priority on my list... as was SWA.

I know that if I applied at Walmart, I would have to move my family there for the long term, and I don't think they'll be too happy about it... :)

I'll bet they're actually one of the better companies to work for, and this will no doubt continue to improve over the long term. It's a shame I didn't meet the mins this time around.

I passed the info on to a friend who has 3,400 TT and PIC charter experience. Hopefully, Jenny will give him a call.

If not, there is always "next time". Wal-mart isn't going to go away. I think we can be certain of that.

Any feedback

Has anyone received a call? An invitation to interview...anything?
I was called last Friday and again on Monday, but I have not heard anything since.

Arkansas is a great place to live with four seasons and dry counties with no beer. The company does own everything from the banks to the gas stations here. I know a pilot that worked for wal-mart for nine years and left for netjets and made more after 90 days when he upgraded to PIC. I know another pilot for Wal-mart who flies international and his wife says he is never home.

I lived down south for four years and personally never saw the dry counties as a positive. I saw it more of a pain in the ass!

Latest resources

Back