W2 and Quality of life at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HHH

Can any SWA pilots please provide some up to date information for the following questions. Thank you.

What do SWA pilots typically make per year (W2), particularly First Officers? I've seen the pay tables but understand that hourly pay rates are not always an accurate indicator of W2 pay. Also, I have heard that 1st year FO's can make 2nd year pay by picking up trips. Is this true? If so, how likely is it?

What are the junior bases (as of Sept. 2008)? How likely is it for a new hire/reserve to be able to pick up/trade for out of base trips? How long are most trips (2,3,4 days)?

How long does it take to get called for an interview (once application has been submitted)?

Do SWA pilots have their own website forums?

Any other information about the quality of life and compensation of SWA pilots is much appreciated.

Last edited:
They do better than anyone else from what I see. But, they may take a reduction in hours, pay, or even a furlough coming up here in January. Still probably better than anywhere else.

Looks like Oakland is junior. Followed by Las Vegas and PHX.

They do better than anyone else from what I see. But, they may take a reduction in hours, pay, or even a furlough coming up here in January. Still probably better than anywhere else.

Looks like Oakland is junior. Followed by Las Vegas and PHX.
Nice flame bait

Can any SWA pilots please provide some up to date information for the following questions. Thank you.

What do SWA pilots typically make per year (W2), particularly First Officers? I've seen the pay tables but understand that hourly pay rates are not always an accurate indicator of W2 pay. Also, I have heard that 1st year FO's can make 2nd year pay by picking up trips. Is this true? If so, how likely is it?

What are the junior bases (as of Sept. 2008)? How likely is it for a new hire/reserve to be able to pick up/trade for out of base trips? How long are most trips (2,3,4 days)?

How long does it take to get called for an interview (once application has been submitted)?

Do SWA pilots have their own website forums?

Any other information about the quality of life and compensation of SWA pilots is much appreciated.
Yes new hire F/Os get second year pay for picking up trips on their days off. Most first year F/Os probably may around 60K - 80K. By the 4th year its around 120K - 140K. Though I have heard of some senior F/Os making as much as 200k.

Sorry Red Dog,

If you pull your head out of the sand, maybe this will sound better: Hiring should pick up so guys can be out on the line when 190 flight/day are cancelled and the WestJet code share goes into effect. The contract will be signed by then with a 30% pay increase for junior FOs. SWA will get oil hedged at $23/bbl though 2059 while oil hits a super spike of $200/bbl. In other news, hell will also freeze over.

HHH. I recommend you put Tanker Clown on your ignore list ASAP. You will notice very very quickly that he luvs to hate SW for some reason.

I got called for an interview 10 days after I submitted my app. FWIW, I was typed.

Latest resources

Back