W2 and Quality of life at Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry Red Dog,

If you pull your head out of the sand, maybe this will sound better: Hiring should pick up so guys can be out on the line when 190 flight/day are cancelled and the WestJet code share goes into effect. The contract will be signed by then with a 30% pay increase for junior FOs. SWA will get oil hedged at $23/bbl though 2059 while oil hits a super spike of $200/bbl. In other news, hell will also freeze over.

When's your interview again? Go fetch the Col. some coffee.....:D

Last edited:
I'll be fine Red Dog. Besides, how are you going to blackball me? Are you going to put in an unflattering rec on every person on the interview list? You CP may want to chat with you and ask why you are trashing 50 guys a month.

One more question. How do vacation privileges work? At one of my old airlines if your vacation touched any of your trips then the trip was dropped. You could turn 7 days into 21 days and still maintain min. guarantee.

Maybe that method is why its "your old airline." I am on vacation and got 22 days off in a row all paid but that is not the norm. When I bid for time off I go max days off for pay or not. You can drop all that touches, some with pay some without.

HHH,
HOU is getting a bit easier to get to. I started on the line in June, and am able to hold a reserve line in HOU in Oct. I chose to stay in LAS so I can hold a regular line. Like others have said, commuting to a reserve line sucks.

Another advantage of holding a regular line is being able to do what is called ELITT (electronic line improvement trip trade). Basically it allows you to trade your trips for others the company needs to have filled. You can only trade w/in your domicile, but it gives you the ability to move trips to get more days off. I started with a schedule with 3 and 4 day breaks, and now have one with a 9 day and 5 day break. Now I commute only 3 times this month and have more opportunities to pick up trips at BWI where I live.

Wow! Thank you all for taking the time to respond! I really appreciate the answers. Another question - how senior is HOU?

FYI My priority is to spend as much time with my family as I can. My question about pay and out of base pick up may have been misleading. If I am to be based (out west for example) but allowed to fly from home (HOU) it was make life that much better! I understand I have to do my time and I am not asking about ways to circumvent the system. I am simply trying to find out what the impact will be on my family.

Don't take this the wrong way - but I just want to make sure that this move is worth it for my family (in the short term and long run).

Thank you all for the great replies and advice. I live in Houston and would be commuting (hopefully for a short period of time).

That's down the road though as my priority now is to obviously get the interview (and then get hired).

HHH, good luck it's a great company to work for, or at least that's everyone I know that works there tells me.
Still waiting for my phone to ring.

Latest resources

Back