• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Visual Approach Procedure

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well how is that for being shot down? What you did is not unheard of but I do usually give the controller a heads up.

FL350 said:
Well how is that for being shot down? What you did is not unheard of but I do usually give the controller a heads up.

I wasn't looking for any kind of affirmation or support. I know for a fact that this is fairly common practice. I was just polling the audience to see what people thought. I will now conform to the rules a be a good little boy and just ask. I got called out and was just seeing if anyone else had ever had the same experience.

I still am amazed that the controller cared... Especially since it was after the tower was closed and we're essentially flying on to an uncontrolled field. It would seem that going ahead and getting prepared for a left base entry would be what anyone would do to an uncontrolled field. For the record, I never do this going in to a controlled airport... I just head straight for the field until given directions on traffic pattern entry.

Any other comments..???...

Last edited:
Yeah, here's a comment - relax. I wasn't attacking you, just kidding around. Bet you're a load of fun to fly with.

sounds like your controller was feeling a bit insecure and bored. cleared for the visual absent any reference to proceeding traffic or more specific instructions such as "proceed direct to the airport to enter a left downwind," report established downwind" ect.means you are cleared to make a visual approach under your own nav using normal maneuvers to align the aircraft in a position in which to land. proceeding to a point on three mile final is certainly not abnormal as long as you were approaching from a reasonable angle. the only hangup would be if there were noise abatement procedures that would conflict with your positioning. most of us have experienced the occasional '"grumpy" controller. thankfully this is the exception as opposed to the rule. no worries.

Well lumcevac, the difference is that he wasn't actually cleared for the visual, he was told to expect the visual. So technically, he should have still gone direct to the airport.

But I see this kind of thing done all the time, and I think *most* controllers don't see it as a big deal, although I suppose it could be a big deal if for some reason it caused a conflict.

lumcevac said:
did i misread?

Nope, but I thought the point of contention was his flying the plane to a fix on final before he was cleared for the visual approach.

you are correct, however may we agree that with no other traffic on freq at 0100 am and tower closed it is an unusual circumstance for a controller to chew out a crewmember for what appears to be a normal procedure. if we split hairs i suppose the fact that after he cleared him for the visual he said "but proceed direct to the airport" could have elicited a response such as "I'm in position for a straight in ,is that approved" but seems rather weak to me since the pilot is still the final authority. good food for thought though big d.

bigD said:
Nope, but I thought the point of contention was his flying the plane to a fix on final before he was cleared for the visual approach.

I am in fact, a "load of fun" to fly with... I can provide references if you like...:)

To get the order straight, we were something like 8-9 miles out set-up for a left base entry and just as the F.O. was about to press the mike to call the field the guy points out our indescretion... At that point I immediately called the field in sight knowing full well he was just waiting for the call to clear us for the visual. And yes, as soon as I received visual approach clearance we cancelled. No one was behind us waiting for our cancellation so I know that wasn't his beef.

Again, for the record (and 3rd time to admit it, what I was doing was technically wrong) I'm just curious to see how many out there do what I did. Thought I'd point out that there's some controllers out there that don't like it and there might be some pilots on the board here that would find this experience useful. That's all, now I'll drop it.

FL350 said:
Yeah, here's a comment - relax. I wasn't attacking you, just kidding around. Bet you're a load of fun to fly with.

I wasn't biting your head off, I was just reiterating the fact that I realize I was the one in the wrong, not the controller. (although I feel he needed to relax)...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back