• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I enjoy reading the VX "we're kicking butt and wait for our ipo" posts. In your entire existance you have made what SWA made in two weeks last year. I hope you get the gates but I think it is a blunder on your part.
I also think GK is going to make VA pay dearly for those city pairs.

I think it's better to compare SWA's first years to VX (or any airline's first few for that matter) for an accurate measure.

Not the same.....a nonstop flight is much more desirable than stopping in ABQ for an hour or so unless you want to get some green chile chicken stew on your way to LA. I would imagine that there are some flights that take 2 stops to get you there! So there really is not a comparison until Southwest can post their fares for a non stop flight to LAX/SFO. I bet they are gonna be about the same as Virgin America. Look at the seats for sale on Virgin America DAL-LAX in November.

How have other airlines priced there fares when competition comes in ?

CAL. Vs. kiwi. EWR

USAir. Vs. Midways Airlines out of.PHL

DAL. Vs. AirTran

The list can go on ...

I am guessing by your post they just match the fares

I enjoy reading the VX "we're kicking butt and wait for our ipo" posts. In your entire existance you have made what SWA made in two weeks last year. I hope you get the gates but I think it is a blunder on your part.
I also think GK is going to make VA pay dearly for those city pairs.

GK isn't going to be able to do anything! The DOJ has already said that if the city tries to give the gates to anyone BUT VX, they along with VX and AA will sue the city of Dallas. Not sure they want to get into that kind of mess.

As far as GK making us pay, he will have to be careful because your costs are escalating faster than you guys can compensate for....be careful what you wish for. Like I have said before, this is going to be a win/win for both. Don't be foolish like UA our of EWR, they paid dearly for trying to hurt us and in the end, it cost them a TON of money and we STILL kicked their trash and are making money hand over fist out of EWR.

Good Luck and stay safe out there. ;)

until Southwest can post their fares for a non stop flight to LAX/SFO. I bet they are gonna be about the same as Virgin America. .
So, your not worried until say oh, August then when they can fly nonstop:)

Interesting, why didn't VX desire any LUV gates before the WA was removed? So if it is so desirable and customer appreciating that VX provides their superior service, where was that service before? And yes, they could have leased those gates from AA long ago.

I don't dispute the right of VX to compete out of LUV, just the blatant audacity they won the gates before DAL city says they get them.

That, and the outright flaunt of US law when Sir R states VA is HIS airline.

Last edited:
So, your not worried until say oh, August then when they can fly nonstop:)

Interesting, why didn't VX desire any LUV gates before the WA was removed? So if it is so desirable and customer appreciating that VX provides their superior service, where was that service before? And yes, they could have leased those gates from AA long ago.

I don't dispute the right of VX to compete out of LUV, just the blatant audacity they won the gates before DAL city says they get them.

That, and the outright flaunt of US law when Sir R states VA is HIS airline.

Im not worried. Also, its October that an airline can fly out of DAL without the WA constraints. SWA has their fares advertised for all other routes through October 2014? Why not those new nonstops? They KNOW they will be doing them.
VX didnt desire any LUV gates until the WA was removed for one obvious reason...the same reason SWA would like to not have VX operating there in the fall. VA will never fly to Lubbock, Corpus, Amarillo, Midland, Little Rock, and many of the other cities to which SWA flies. Their business model doesnt work that way.

I would imagine that Sir RB does think of Virgin America as HIS airline....he has alot of money invested and the plane has his brand painted on the side. The Virgin brand is HIS......Virgin America is only 25% his. The argument that Richard Branson and the Virgin Group own more that what is allowed by US law is over.

Both SWA and VA can and will do well out of Dallas Love Field. I just find it funny that SWA is trying to stop what they have been doing themselves for years.

Flop,

I think the only loss was the first 18 months then 41 years of consecutive profits.

Sure, and credit to you [SWA] that's a great thing. But you got a big leg up with the exact issue we're dealing with right now. Imagine the city requires SWA move to DFW and gives the entire Love Field terminal to VX. That would be a check mate for VX, just as it was for SWA. Take a moment and let this register in your mind: there is so much lopsided favor for SWA at this airport that the City of Dallas can't even deliver a timely answer on 2 [two] gates because it doesn't favor SWA!! Frankly I still think it could go the other way, and Dallas either makes them common use or to SWA.

A big leg up? You still trying to spin the Wright Amendment as help for SW? After SW fought tooth and nail just to get off the ground?

How would that have worked at Intercontinental if you guys had to stop at Texas cities before leaving the state? Would that have 'helped you'?

Southwest worked around it and became successful DESPITE this restriction. I guess something you just can't understand.

I don't think it was despite. I think it molded SWA into the airline it is today...shorthaul with quick turns because that is what they were forced to do to be successful. It made them different than any other airline out there, which is just one of the reasons they were successful

Last edited:
A big leg up? You still trying to spin the Wright Amendment as help for SW? After SW fought tooth and nail just to get off the ground?

How would that have worked at Intercontinental if you guys had to stop at Texas cities before leaving the state? Would that have 'helped you'?

Southwest worked around it and became successful DESPITE this restriction. I guess something you just can't understand.

I know you'll never give that up, but I'm sure its starting to sink in;)

Hey, why did the WA stop at TX back then? Because when SWA launched that's as far as they wanted to go! Actually, it's as far as you were certificated to go. Texas only back then for SWA.

So VX was formulated to do long flights and serve both coasts. And since they had the discipline and expertise to see that certification thru, they ought to keep it. But what if Love Field was handed to them and you all were forced to DFW? It was handed to SWA, right? I say we give it to VX, let them do the flying out of there they were formulated to do (no more,no less) we'll all sit back and see what they can do, ok? You never know what a scrappy upstart with a charismatic patriarch that likes to party could turn a Love Field franchise into;) right?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back