• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, the city owns the gates at DAL. They also lease them out in what are called lease agreements. These agreements have duties and rights of the lessors and lessees written in them. When there are changes in circumstances, the parties are obligated to honor the terms they agreed to in the lease. If they don't, they usually wind up in court.

There is an entire field of lawyers that specialize in these written agreements, sometimes called contract law firms. They exist to write and enforce these agreements.

Someday you will leave your parent's basement and rent an apartment, then if you are frugal maybe even buy a house. You may find it helpful to grasp this concept.

As for your wish pertaining to the DOJ, good luck with that.

Yes, the city owns the gates at DAL. They also lease them out in what are called lease agreements. These agreements have duties and rights of the lessors and lessees written in them. When there are changes in circumstances, the parties are obligated to honor the terms they agreed to in the lease. If they don't, they usually wind up in court.

There is an entire field of lawyers that specialize in these written agreements, sometimes called contract law firms. They exist to write and enforce these agreements.

Someday you will leave your parent's basement and rent an apartment, then if you are frugal maybe even buy a house. You may find it helpful to grasp this concept.

As for your wish pertaining to the DOJ, good luck with that.
Then someday maybe you'll read up on said contract law. Force majeure being a good example of why the city can take the gates back, just because the Feds say AA cannot have them, the city does not have to subrogate their rights to satisfy a desire by the DOJ.

Whatever you do, don't stop your trollish attacks. :)
Unemployment Air
Internet troll

$330/week for 26 weeks
no 401K
no per diem
:crying::mad:

Last edited:
The Southwest argument, right or wrong, is pragmatic. Flopgut's argument is emotional.

I was made to sound "emotional" about Love Field history by the SWA posters over the years. Now that we're all watching history play out again, I am being proven dead on right on the entire issue and it's history.

This part was my favorite:
3. Virgin America’s current Dallas fares are higher than Southwest’s fares once Virgin’s fees for checked baggage ($25 on both first and second bags) and ticket changes ($150) are included. Southwest does not charge passengers those fees. Southwest’s estimated fares from DAL to LAX and SFO would be 7% to 9% below Virgin America’s current fares.
...so you're saying that every passenger is going to check two bags and change their ticket, therefore your fares are lower? What if I don't change my ticket and check one bag? Whose fares are lower, then?

Scoreboard, I'm going to have to invoke the George Carlin defense on you: "Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience".

I don't see any war, civil disturbance, strike or act of god in this case.

Have fun in your world.

That's a stupid comment. The DOJ told AA that VX was the only eligible bidder, so does that not rule out WN and DL?

I guess the minor fact that AA holds the lease with right to sublet with only the duty to "consult" with the city can be swept aside with a pizza party?

There is going to be lawsuits galore no matter what happens when the city council offers it's direction to the city manager. Gotta love Texas politics!
That is not at all what the city of Dallas claims. They specifically state:

Airports can lease gates on following basis
-Exclusive use
-Airlines have full control, including branding and scheduling, over space

-Preferential use

-Airlines have control but gives right for airport to allow
new entrants to operate at gates that are not being fully utilized

-Common use

-gate space and time of use is managed by the airport

Dallas Love Field [?DAL?] has leased all available gates on a
preferential use basis
-Southwest Airlines
-16 gates
-United Airlines
-2 gates
-American Airlines
-2 gates

If the right to use the preferential gates ceases, they become common use
-Common use gates are managed by the airport

The city of Dallas is taking this authority directly from the 5 party agreement signed by Dallas, Southwest and American.

In the end no matter who the gates go to, there will be litigation, LOTS of litigation.

Scoreboard, I'm going to have to invoke the George Carlin defense on you: "Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience".

I don't see any war, civil disturbance, strike or act of god in this case.

Have fun in your world.
Those are some examples. Others include but are not limited to federal law or directives changing. The bankruptcy of a company can and has been used to invoke the clause, this would then be a prefect use of the clause. Sorry if it doesn't fit your horse blinder view of the world. But between the two of us, you're the only admitted troll, good day.

Latest resources

Back