• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In fact SWA doesn't even have their flight schedules available for booking beyond Oct 31st. Is this common? Most airlines can go out 10-11 months in advance.

Usually SW can be booked for the same time period, but they've been slow to list farther out than Oct.31st this year because of two big events just beyond that.

Flying non-stop to/from Love throughout the system, and
Adding more international destinations in the Fall.

Bookings beyond Oct should be out shortly.

We look forward to your Southern Hospitality at Luv. ;)

And Scoreboard, we already turned a yearly profit for 2013, good to see you pay attention. It's only going to get better on the cash flow front, especially with IPO coming this year.

Now onto getting ALPA on the property and getting other things going in the right direction. :D

Like I said, it won't be a big deal for SW.

Buck,

You might want to do a little more homework. SW is already lower than VA prices out of DFW. For SW to lower it even more will create an even more stark contrast. Throw in some extra FF miles on those legs and you get the picture.

Up 37% in 6 years? You mean like the price of oil?

Stage lengths are not comparable.....there is nothing that SWA flies out of DAL that compares to VAs flights to the west coast. Of course SWA looks better. You should do your homework a little better and not just quote from a consultants report. And what was SWA doing when oil was selling at record highs in 2008? Selling 19$ tickets out of Denver to try and kill off Frontier. You should really be more careful throwing things around inside your glass house.

Stage lengths are not comparable.....there is nothing that SWA flies out of DAL that compares to VAs flights to the west coast. Of course SWA looks better. QUOTE]YGBFSM.

SWA DAL-LAX 11 May, there are 21 departures, 1/3rd of which are sold out. The schedule is similar to every other West Coast destination.
Fares start at $228.

VA DFW-LAX, same day only 6 flights. Fare starts at $422.

Stage lengths are not comparable.....there is nothing that SWA flies out of DAL that compares to VAs flights to the west coast. Of course SWA looks better. QUOTE]YGBFSM.

SWA DAL-LAX 11 May, there are 21 departures, 1/3rd of which are sold out. The schedule is similar to every other West Coast destination.
Fares start at $228.

Yep, and our flights will sell out as well. So WHO is the stupid one? Both airlines are going to make money, Virgin is going to give the people of down town Dallas what they want....CHOICES for First Class and Fantastic service or the Southwest side of the coin. Either way, Virgin will do very well there as will SWA. It's a win/win.

Fares start at $228.

Not the same.....a nonstop flight is much more desirable than stopping in ABQ for an hour or so unless you want to get some green chile chicken stew on your way to LA. I would imagine that there are some flights that take 2 stops to get you there! So there really is not a comparison until Southwest can post their fares for a non stop flight to LAX/SFO. I bet they are gonna be about the same as Virgin America. Look at the seats for sale on Virgin America DAL-LAX in November.

Last edited:
I enjoy reading the VX "we're kicking butt and wait for our ipo" posts. In your entire existance you have made what SWA made in two weeks last year. I hope you get the gates but I think it is a blunder on your part.
I also think GK is going to make VA pay dearly for those city pairs.

Last edited:
Like I said, it won't be a big deal for SW.

Buck,

You might want to do a little more homework. SW is already lower than VA prices out of DFW. For SW to lower it even more will create an even more stark contrast. Throw in some extra FF miles on those legs and you get the picture.

Up 37% in 6 years? You mean like the price of oil?

Here's what i was loosely citing (reality is actually stronger toward the 'gouging/monopoly' argument);

The impact of Southwest?s DAL monopoly is already in effect: An August 2013 study conducted by Massachusetts Institute of Technology researchers found that of airports in its size class, DAL had the largest increase in average fares from 2007-2012 ? a 37% jump.[1]

--article from Terry Maxon; dallas news business section.

Nothing new, I suppose..you get a veritable monopoly in a market and you start really soaking your consumers (because you can/they have no alternative). Utility companies do it all the time. NWA did it in the MSP market for decades.

Latest resources

Back