Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Southwest to be passive, he's counting wrong

The Def Leppard quote is cute...but the gates were awarded by the gubmint...this could turn interesting...

Def Leppard? Dude that's Ronald Reagan.

Another thing you won't see at VX is an OAL JS priority list. It is first come, first served, so you won't get beat out at the last minute by some guy from AA. Even internally we have first guy at the gate gets the first cockpit JS, senior guy at door close gets the second JS. This gives the junior guys a fair shot and still respects seniority. It has worked well for us.

Yeah, that's the way Southwest has always done it except we allow the first two SWA guys the jumpseat.

Virgin pledged to add flights to New York, Washington D.C., and eventually, Chicago. It already flies to Los Angeles and San Francisco from D/FW.

WOW! All those cities. I can see how the Dallas passengers were the winners.:rolleyes:

But as a policy, is a step backward from industry standard. And doesn't the to your face "you just said that me sitting up there devalues first class??" Bother you??

Not sure where you got that quote, but it isn't that we devalue FC. The CEO never sits in first class either. It just makes more business sense to have a paying passenger up there that has already payed more for their ticket, and maybe next time they will pay for it if they like it. We could be like Sun Country. I have been left at the gate with an open FC seat because they won't even upgrade a paying passenger.

Not sure where you got that quote, but it isn't that we devalue FC. The CEO never sits in first class either. It just makes more business sense to have a paying passenger up there that has already payed more for their ticket, and maybe next time they will pay for it if they like it. We could be like Sun Country. I have been left at the gate with an open FC seat because they won't even upgrade a paying passenger.

Sun country does that?
Wow

That's all nice and everything, but from a business standpoint- none of the biggest airlines word it that way or restrict it. If I get what you're saying, you are upgrading people for free who wouldn't otherwise have been upgraded if their hadn't been a jump seater who'd have been booted?
Is that right?

That doesn't seem wrong to you?
Like I said, if I were at my old legacy and not at SWA, I'd be arguing the reciprocity of that. no matter how rare an upgrade happens, they aren't upgrading people just to keep pilots out of the big seats.

I got that line from 3 different friends who were in 3 very different hire dates- during indoc.

That's not subjective flop. Which came first?
Should braniff not be bound by the agreement it signed?

The question still remains-

I'm about the only one who can recall this braniff stuff, which is too bad. Because this is all just like it happened before. The context of the agreement to build DFW was not that Love Field would be completely abandoned by legacy airlines, but when it came down to it your "lawyer" [Herb] turned it into that. And remember that was a 3 party agreement, the "West-of-plex" [Ft Worth] folks really got screwed by you. I realize SWA has written them off, but you're going to see a lot of those people walk right past your ticket counter and happily pay more for a VX ticket. The local blogs have had a sh!tload of comments lately that SWA needed a taste of its own medicine. VX is going to have a lot of support for no other reason than that. And if SWA hits them hard with a fare war it's likely to backfire. No one has forgotten the bawling/complaining SWA had about everybody coming after them.

None of this crap happened in CA. You might not being willing to wrap your mind around it, but your question has been answered.

Last edited:
The Little Texas airline is in Big trouble...a Virgin is in town...seriously maybe a little competition will help convince mgmt that our product is not invincible in Texas....or any where else...

I'm about the only one who can recall this braniff stuff, which is too bad........

And remember that was a 3 party agreement, the "West-of-plex" [Ft Worth] folks really got screwed by you. I realize SWA has written them off, but you're going to see a lot of those people walk right past your ticket counter and happily pay more for a VX ticket.
So which is it?

You are about the only one that can recall this stuff, or.........

A lot of people will walk past our ticket counter because of your alleged past transgressions by SWA...........

You are a walking contradiction.

Well Wave, I wouldn't call it "devaluing employees" either, but I do wish we would change the rule. I am glad you got lucky a few times. If you ever want a ride we will take good care of you. Cheers.

Howard: We have noticed that WN is very disciplined in it's competition. I am sure you will have some sort of "welcome" for us, but I really do believe these markets will have plenty of revenue for the both of us. Dallas is a big city, plenty of room for bargain hunters and J R Ewing wannabes. I truly thought we were crazy to go into the LAX/LAS market as you guys do it a zillion times a day. It is our highest RASM city pair, and I'm sure you guys make bank there as well.

Latest resources

Back