• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin Awarded Love Field Gates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LGA and JFK are single market but come on they are entirely two different airports with different missions and locations. You can't fly to LAX or SFO out of LGA but you can out of JFK and Europe as well. You can't fly from DAL to Europe but you can from DFW.

Single airport. 20 gates. 16/20 to 18/20 makes no sense.

Delta used to fly "Saturday only" nonstop from LGA to LAX and SLC, and ATA did "Saturday only" nonstop to SFO. They were the only exemptions on the LGA perimeter rule. That did stop a few years ago, which is a shame.

Bye Bye---General Lee

AA has 108 gates at DFW. Think SWA's 18 at LOVE is way to many.

FACE it AMERICANS look for the lowest price. If cheaper at DFW drive there, if DAL is cheaper drive there.

Its business. SWA more job creations, more passengers..

30-40 flights a day to Chicago and New York airports, DCA airports,

VA=I see 2 years after 49.00 fares they pull out and head for more profitable routes.

Already had multiple city councilmen state that they were voting for VX to get the gates. And the DOJ already said that if anyone BUT VX gets the gates, they will block it.

Sorry SWA! ;)

See ya'll in the Luv Funny papers. :D

AA has 108 gates at DFW. Think SWA's 18 at LOVE is way to many.

FACE it AMERICANS look for the lowest price. If cheaper at DFW drive there, if DAL is cheaper drive there.

Its business. SWA more job creations, more passengers..

30-40 flights a day to Chicago and New York airports, DCA airports,

VA=I see 2 years after 49.00 fares they pull out and head for more profitable routes.

SWA isn't a LCC. Give them that monopoly the fares will skyrocket. It's very telling that while DL and VX have published schedules, SWA is hush hush about their flight schedules. Maybe because they know some cities will only get one flight per day.

I think in the end it will be a colossal mistake for VA to move from DFW to Love. Just like pulling out of SNA.

Southwest may very well get the gates anyway if it doesn't work out for them.

Just so I understand....

1. DFW/DAL is "one market".

2. VX (or VA, whatever), is allowed into "that market". Obvi.

3. VA said it has a legit, signed "sub-lease" of two gates held by AA (apparently "sub-leases" are acceptable to the city, i.e. Delta and Seaborne previously?). For the record, I could not find any info regarding any issue the City Council or the City Manager had with the above "sub-leases".

4. This signed "sub-lease" apparently meets the DOJ requirements of the "divestiture" as demanded in the anti-trust settlement, as it is acceptable to them. Even though the DOJ has "blessed" this, if 1, 2, and 3 above are true, does it even matter in the context a a consensual deal between AA and Virgin?

5. The additional questions I see are (more of a curiosity); Why the big deal now? Why not when a deal was done with Delta or Seaborne? Why the issue with Virgin and not the others?

Just musing...

S

Just so I understand....

1. DFW/DAL is "one market".

2. VX (or VA, whatever), is allowed into "that market". Obvi.

3. VA said it has a legit, signed "sub-lease" of two gates held by AA (apparently "sub-leases" are acceptable to the city, i.e. Delta and Seaborne previously?). For the record, I could not find any info regarding any issue the City Council or the City Manager had with the above "sub-leases".

4. This signed "sub-lease" apparently meets the DOJ requirements of the "divestiture" as demanded in the anti-trust settlement, as it is acceptable to them. Even though the DOJ has "blessed" this, if 1, 2, and 3 above are true, does it even matter in the context a a consensual deal between AA and Virgin?

5. The additional questions I see are (more of a curiosity); Why the big deal now? Why not when a deal was done with Delta or Seaborne? Why the issue with Virgin and not the others?

Just musing...

S
I think the big deal for Dallas is that the 5 party agreement to end the WA states:

If the right to use the preferential gates ceases, they become common use-Common use gates are managed by the airport

In the previous situations mentioned AA had not lost the right to use the gates. In the DOJ anti-trust remedy voluntarily entered in to by AA, they agree to divest the gates or in other words "the right to use the preferential gates ceases."

At least that is what I can piece together from the Dallas public statements.

http://www.dallascityhall.com/commi...dGateLeases_042814.pdf#page=31&zoom=100,0,338

Interesting.

Thanks Howard. That is the only rational position that has been taken regarding this whole discussion, and probably the only arguable position in a "legal" sense.

I guess it does leave a question that needs clarification; who (which entity) is in a position to make the determination that AA "loses" the gates (invalidates the current leases)? Based on the DOJ's acceptance of a sub-lease scenario, it's apparently not them. If the DOJ is not forcing AA to cancel the lease(s), what basis does the city have to make its case?

S

Last edited:
Agreed.

The city of Dallas can't pick and choose what part of the DOJs ruling to follow. Either they ignore it entirely and AA does not have to give up the gates. Or they follow it entirely, which would mean AA would sub lease to virgin.

Latest resources

Back