• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America To Launch New Flights To Newark Liberty International Airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Value is enough to win a battle, but you have to be the biggest dog on the block to survive the war.

Yep. What airline pax see as value are frequency, price, diverseness of routes, and comprehensiveness of loyalty programs.

UAL just announced changes to its schedules:

EWR-LAX changed from 6x to 14x daily flights
EWR-SFO changed from 7x to 16x daily flights

41-6G%2BGkKGL._SX500_.jpg

14x and 16x only June through August.

Maybe that's all the time they need.

Sounds like a summer time increase and then decrease for fall. This route is one if the few routes in which only one legacy dominates two major hubs nonstop. VX did OHare with AA and United doing about 20 flights a day between them. Lets give VX a chance, the prices have dropped already now that this nonstop route is no longer a monopoly.

Why are you mis-quoting me? There was not a period at the end of the prices have dropped. Re-read the post again. I clearly mentioned NOW that this nonstop route is no longer a monopoly.

It doesn't change the meaning.

I don't think you get it... low prices may be good for the passenger but it sucks for an airline trying to make a profit. UAL can afford to lose the money on this route for a while. VX can't. It's as simple as that.

Why are you mis-quoting me? There was not a period at the end of the prices have dropped. Re-read the post again. I clearly mentioned NOW that this nonstop route is no longer a monopoly.

I did not intend to misinform. The point of my post was to echo you. I don't think the outcome of VA going into this market and the price of tickets going down is a good thing. At first you have a major making a profit, now you have both a major and VA charging less than the true cost of the flight. Great for passengers, bad for airlines, pilots and long term sustainability. The fact is that most of VA's routes have this problem. Both companys take a competitive loss, but one airline has the option of overcharging on other routes to offset the loss.

VX came into ORD where both United and American have 12+ flights each day to SFO and LAX. VX still flies to ORD, 2-3x daily. EWR may be the same story.

Latest resources

Back