• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America reduces hiring mins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because of our growth, I make more than my peers who went to Delta at the same time I came here, and will continue to out-earn them until they upgrade. By then, our payscales will be very different, and I may well continue to outearn them.

No Ph.D required.

And a jizz mopper makes even more than you.

But he can't answer that because HE'S PROUD of the fact that he thinks VX is the path to the stars for him. The problem is in 20 years when he's still making RJ wages he'll have no one but the "man" in the mirror to blame.

Lol-does anyone outside of Burlingame really think vx will even be around in 10 years, much less 20? Maybe jayme should calculate first year pay a few years from now in his "long term" career calculator.

Fubi, you're right. I'll go to Delta. Not hiring for 2012. I'll go to American, bankrupt. I'll go to UniCal, 1500 on furlough. US Air, not hiring. Hawaiian, forget it unless you live in Hawaii because otherwise no call. Spirit, if they call you. UPS not hiring. Soooo stay stuck in regional hell through a round of concessions and bankruptcy or try Virgin?

You do realize virgin continues to lose hundreds of millions, don't you? Don't you think that should be a factor in your long term decision versus simply thinking of quick upgrade and big shiny jets with the "hope" of more pay someday? Reminds me of the whole Mesa thing.

Pay is worse at USAir than it is at Virgin and had less than 50 openings in its last vacancy.

US Airways is hiring and hiring is projected to continue indefinitely.

When you compare payscales between Virgin and US Airways on the A320, Virgin does make a few bucks more on an hourly basis. However US Airways has a better retirement program (company gives 10% into your 401K), and a higher reserve guarantee (76 hours vs. 70 hours), and profit sharing, so in the end the total compensation at US Airways is likely higher. I realize this is like two special ed students arguing about which one is smarter.

But consider that right now a new hire at US is only 400 numbers or so away from holding 757/767 FO which is only a couple of years. To make the numbers work at Virgin America you have to assume continuous growth and quick upgrade to Captain. This is a bit of a gamble at a company that has yet to turn a profit. The retirement wave at US Airways is as close to a sure thing as you're going to get in this industry.

Lol-does anyone outside of Burlingame really think vx will even be around in 10 years, much less 20? Maybe jayme should calculate first year pay a few years from now in his "long term" career calculator.

I wasn't defending our pay, I was responding to Splert's assertion that a Ph.D. in behavioral studies would be required to understand why pilots would consider growth when planning on future pay.

Maybe we won't be around in 10 years. Who knows? Maybe your wonderful company will shut down. If Virgin shuts down I'll take my experience and get a better job than I could have possibly gotten by never taking this chance and staying at my regional for the last 4 years.

Pay is worse at USAir than it is at Virgin and had less than 50 openings in its last vacancy. UAL has over 1400 furloughs to recall, so "soon" is a bit optimistic. Southern, Omni, Evergreen, Kalitta and World all pay around the same as Virgin (higher hourly wage - worse guarentee) and require a lot of time away from home and some real 'nice' layovers.

The overseas jobs are hiring and paying well, but for some people the idea of living in central China is just not that appealing, especially if they have family. Yes I know, there are places other than China that are hiring, but the point it that if you have a family, sometimes the overseas jobs are not a viable option. If you are divorced and have kids, and a psycho ex-wife who is not fit to have the kids (not that I'd know anything about that :rolleyes: ) it makes the decision even harder.

The point is what is a perfect job for one guy may not be a perfect job for another guy.

Hate to break the news but the USA is hardly #1 anymore. Many overseas jobs blow away those at home and it would do Americans right to expose themselves and family to life outside their little myopic small town mentality.

That said, many of the nonsked carriers like Atlas and World pay MUCH more than Virgin America! They have rigs and higher hourly pay for one thing, but most of the guys I know there fly on average 78-82 hours a month and have 14-17 days off per month - often in 1 long block.

... and have 14-17 days off per month - often in 1 long block.

There was a time when I would've enjoyed such an opportunity. However now with a child I need to be around more often and more frequently. Jobs like these just are not workable.

Virgin Kool-Aid suckers can't figure out the basics.

Latest resources

Back