• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Virgin America Trims Flights, Labor Cost on Slower Winter
By Mary Jane Credeur

October 17, 2012 6:04 PM EDT

Virgin America Inc., the low-fare airline partly owned by Richard Branson, will trim capacity by 3 percent in the first quarter and is offering voluntary short- term leave to employees to cut costs, citing a weaker outlook.
The company, which reported a wider net loss for the second quarter, is seeking voluntary reductions through short-term leave and flex scheduling ahead of an anticipated drop in traffic in the first three months of 2013, Chief Executive Officer David Cush wrote in a letter to employees last week. The Burlingame, California-based company, which employs about 2,600, hasn’t said how many workers are involved.

Closely held Virgin America, which ended the second quarter with $82 million in unrestricted cash, may need to pursue a “major restructuring” to survive, said Hunter Keay, an analyst at Wolfe Trahan & Co. in New York. Virgin America has competition on every route, such as San Francisco to New York. Each of the 11 other airlines Keay follows has a monopoly on at least 25 percent of their routes, he said.

“A combination of cash burn and network missteps into highly trafficked markets” is hurting Virgin America, Keay said in a telephone interview. “They had an assumption that consumers would choose product quality over price and convenience and network carriers responded with force.”
Keay questioned Virgin America’s ability to survive in a client note today and said the carrier’s failure would benefit Alaska Air Group Inc. (ALK) and JetBlue Airways Corp. (JBLU) the most.

Jennifer Thomas, a Virgin America spokeswoman, declined to comment on Keay’s report.

In the letter, Cush cited recent unit-revenue figures by competitors including United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) and Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV), calling them “lackluster projections” that “point to a softening environment” and necessitate Virgin America’s cutbacks.
Earlier this month, United said revenue for each seat flown a mile fell 2.5 percent to 3.5 percent for September and Southwest reported revenue on that basis dipped 2 percent to 3 percent.
“The forecast for the first quarter of 2013 indicates it will be a tough winter for the industry,” Cush said.

Virgin America reported a net loss of $31.76 million for the second quarter, 46 percent wider than the same period a year earlier.
The January to March period is “challenging” for the industry, especially because Virgin America’s coast-to-coast routes often “underperform in the winter months,” Cush wrote in the letter. The airline’s network doesn’t allow it to easily shift planes to shorter north-south “sun routes” that are more popular in the cold months, he said.

Virgin America will eliminate some flights that are traditionally unprofitable during the first three months of the year such as red-eyes and midweek flights, and will restore that service in April when demand typically improves, he said.
The airline, which started service in August 2007, has a fleet of Airbus SAS A320 jets and flies to cities including San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York’s John F. Kennedy airport and Boston.

To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Jane Credeur in Atlanta at mcrede
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Ed Dufner at edufner@

Bye Bye---General Lee

I just posted the article, no comments.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Advertise a nice low price and then nickle and dime the ******************** out of your customers. "Ancillary fees" seem to be popular by demand. Add some point to point to the trans con madness and buddy up with some, scratch that, buddy up with lots of other airlines that can toss you a bone every now and then. Oh, and don't go issing new uniforms from Banana Republic when you are broke.

But what about the mood lighting and hipster flight attendants? People won't pay more for those things?

But what about the mood lighting and hipster flight attendants? People won't pay more for those things?
Of course not; they want CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!! --but still somehow expect service and legroom and then complain when they don't get it at Spirit. Even personally, some of my well-to-do (financially) friends totally cheap out when it comes to flying..they fly Spirit and then complain (to me) about the legroom/service/'anciallary fees'!! Despite all the awards we are winning, our bread-and-butter is the business traveler..the rest won't even try us until SWA's fare matches ours--and then they and everyone else still has us beat hands-down on network and frequency.
I hope we can squeak by into a better economy..but have my doubts. Back to updating the logbook again in the meantime.

Of course not; they want CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP!! --but still somehow expect service and legroom and then complain when they don't get it at Spirit. Even personally, some of my well-to-do (financially) friends totally cheap out when it comes to flying..they fly Spirit and then complain (to me) about the legroom/service/'anciallary fees'!! Despite all the awards we are winning, our bread-and-butter is the business traveler..the rest won't even try us until SWA's fare matches ours--and then they and everyone else still has us beat hands-down on network and frequency.
I hope we can squeak by into a better economy..but have my doubts. Back to updating the logbook again in the meantime.

I wonder if anybody would be interested in picking up the pieces... just thinking out loud. Could end up going bankrupt and then getting acquired in bankruptcy. (JetBlue?)

I'm not at virgin but I don't think a 3% reduction is a cause for concern. Jetbue did it in 2008 but instead cut almost 10%. The financials are scary at virgin, no doubt about it, but I have a feeling that if Branson cuts off funding he would try to save face by selling out first.

Latest resources

Back