• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America continues some serious bleeding

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If that's true then that is ridiculous. No FA in the world is worth 100K a year.

VA pilots do not make a 100k a year...at least not yet. You have to be there about 5 years to hit that mark (based on month min). VA has not even been around that long, so, most CA are about 80k and FO about 40k.

VA pilots do not make a 100k a year...at least not yet. You have to be there about 5 years to hit that mark (based on month min). VA has not even been around that long, so, most CA are about 80k and FO about 40k.

My uncle Sam knows better...

We have no first year CAs, and the bid average is 78 hours this summer. Our senior CAs are third and fourth year.

Having said that, I agree with the sentiment the rates are too low.

Check your numbers. VA's lowest capt wage is $95/hour. Our lowest paid captain makes $100/hour. That's a year two captain. What other airline could you possibly be hired at that will pay you $100/hour your second year, give you an A320 PIC type rating in initial, and give you a schedule with 16 days off/month starting your second month on line? Add to that: happy coworkers, the chance to ride the top of the seniority list for the rest of your career, great layover hotels, brand new aircraft, great maintenance, no hat, no tie, and no Jepp revisions. The down side is this whole thing could run out of money before turning a proffit. For a former regional pilot the potential risks are exceeded by the potential rewards. Stop hating, or come up with a better system than global capitalism. Enjoy jumpseating on VA. Don't forget to bring your headsets.

Check your numbers. VA's lowest capt wage is $95/hour. Our lowest paid captain makes $100/hour. That's a year two captain. What other airline could you possibly be hired at that will pay you $100/hour your second year, give you an A320 PIC type rating in initial, and give you a schedule with 16 days off/month starting your second month on line? Add to that: happy coworkers, the chance to ride the top of the seniority list for the rest of your career, great layover hotels, brand new aircraft, great maintenance, no hat, no tie, and no Jepp revisions. The down side is this whole thing could run out of money before turning a proffit. For a former regional pilot the potential risks are exceeded by the potential rewards. Stop hating, or come up with a better system than global capitalism. Enjoy jumpseating on VA. Don't forget to bring your headsets.

When you walk into your first regional airline simulator is there a secret gas that they inject that makes you brain dead and blind for the rest of your career? Seriously because you made 15k a year and CAN MAKE 50k does not mean that you just won the lottery.. Just blows my mind how willing some people are to whore their career like a $2 hooker without wet wipes between tricks

When you walk into your first regional airline simulator is there a secret gas that they inject that makes you brain dead and blind for the rest of your career? Seriously because you made 15k a year and CAN MAKE 50k does not mean that you just won the lottery.. Just blows my mind how willing some people are to whore their career like a $2 hooker without wet wipes between tricks

You're right. He should never try to improve his life unless it's for the best job out there. Instead he should have stayed at a regional for the next 15 years and competed with the other 50,000 regional pilots for a handful of jobs at FedEx and UPS. He must be brain dead and blind.

If that's true then that is ridiculous. No FA in the world is worth 100K a year.

Why not, that is roughly where they should be from what they made in the 80s with the CPI adjusted for inflation. What should alarm you is not the FA salary, but how pathetically low ours has sunk.

AA

P.S. to the other sensitive pilots on this thread. Get thicker skin, who cares if you lost money, we are all losing money. You could simply change names and dollar amounts and write about any airline out there.

Just more proof in the pudding however that pilot wages do not make or break an airline.

I actually work at VA and I turned $104,000 with an average month of 85-88 hours. I still get my 16+ off and I really like it here. I do my job and I never hear from anyone at corporate. It's nice to be left alone. The acft are new and we even have wifi on them.

These are hard times and right now our biggest source of applications is from major pilots on the furlough bubble. I wish more than anything that as pilots we could stop gut-punching each other and hoping for each others demise. The industry is what it is and we're all in it together.

I wish you all the best in a tough market right now. Fly safely and be proud of the job you do every day. And, of course, everyone needs a pay raises!

My Best.

Latest resources

Back