• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Virgin America cleared to fly!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Some strong words from the major guys. I know it must be intimidating when a newbie airline enters the market and has a plan to actually make money and have fun at the same time. And it really is a shame that they would have the nerve to hire guys/gals who were furloughed after 9/11, looking to upgrade to better equipment or wanting some change in their life. Anyways, have fun at the Microtel and good luck with ur next bankruptcy.

Exactly.

Plenty of bastards who will fly for them and let them thrive. It's one thing to scab your airline, making it difficult for the pilots of your airline to maintain or improve their quality of life. Another thing to support an airline that will essentially make it difficult for every pilot everywhere to maintain and improve their quality of life/standard of living.

Good job. So where are these VA pilots coming from? If they ever want to call in a union, f*ck 'em. They had their chance.

WOW! You seem to really know what you are talking about! So how do the pilots "call in a union" before they are cleared to fly? Please, enlighten us with your knowledge of labor law...

WOW! You seem to really know what you are talking about! So how do the pilots "call in a union" before they are cleared to fly? Please, enlighten us with your knowledge of labor law...

Exactly what I was thinking. I believe that the starting pay for an Airbus Capt. is around $95.00 an hour. Wonder what the 1st year rates are at UAL on the bus. Probably not much higher, if any at all. I welcome them to SFO and every other place they go for that matter. Ditto for SWA.

Huck's First Law of Airlines: Unemployed pilots will always have a different perspective than employed pilots.

It's great to grab your balls and call for a jumpseat war. But if you were unemployed, with kids at home and a mortgage to make, you'd take a job there in a heartbeat. "Oh no, I could never take THAT job! I'll hold out for something better!" My ass....

I've heard the same thing from FDX guys about me working for Gemini. But again, they're employed, so their perspective is different. Ask the furloughed guys/gals if they'd go do it.

Exhibit A = Compass.

The NWA pilot contract requires that Compass start operations as an ALPA carrier. Pay rates and flow-thru established by NWA ALPA. The team negotiating the inititial Compass contract are all NWA ALPA guys.

That's really great for NW and Compass Occams Razor, but did NWA start out as a union carrier? Did any stand alone company start out as a union shop?

In the example you give it was most likely a condition for the NWA MEC giving up the flying to begin with and totally within reason.

For a new stand alone company, there has to be a card count, a certification vote and, well you know the process as well as I do I'm sure. Why do all this before you know if you will ever advance the fuel levers?

That's really great for NW and Compass Occams Razor, but did NWA start out as a union carrier? Did any stand alone company start out as a union shop?

In the example you give it was most likely a condition for the NWA MEC giving up the flying to begin with and totally within reason.

For a new stand alone company, there has to be a card count, a certification vote and, well you know the process as well as I do I'm sure. Why do all this before you know if you will ever advance the fuel levers?

Cease buzzer!

Here was the question: "So how do the pilots "call in a union" before they are cleared to fly?"

I provided the answer.

Before Compass was "cleared to fly"...they were established as an ALPA carrier.

He asked the time...not how to build a clock.

(sheesh!)

Latest resources

Back