• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

VFR Flight Following Why?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
With football season approaching I want you guys to be aware of something that I was not aware of until I started doing it. Our charter operation flies 55 to 60 college football teams all over the country. These teams come out of some of the most poldunk airports that you have ever seen. If the runway is over 5000 feet we will be in there if there is a Division 1 college around it. Usually when we get within 30 miles of the airport we have to cancel IFR and go VFR. We have all our lights on and our TCAS but if you forget to turn your transponder on we can't see you. That is why you want flight following so center can warn you of this big airplane poking around in your airspace. You guys are very hard to see but I know that you will see us long before we see you. Midair's are not in the QRH and usually result in a forced landing that we don't want to talk about. When I see Bobby buy it who was one of the best of the best it is a reminder that we all have to be careful if we are going to survive. Be safe. :)

Turbo, your point is valid, but if too many people talk to the controller he will not accept any more traffic. That is the situation that happened to me at TOL a couple weeks ago. Since he would not talk to me, he did not who I was and then was even busier telling peolle he did not know who I was. You say you go into Part 139 uncontolled airports, many of which do not have towers. I am not saying this applies to you, but I run across a common thing with turbine airplane operators coming into uncontrolled fields. They do not conform to uncontrolled field traffic patterns. i.e. right base approach, 7 miles straight ins. etc. some don't even make radio calls on the CTAF.

I do, but I have a strong little airplane background, can't vouch for the others especially the ex-military types.

Lead Sled said:
At night, when things are slow, ATC will also give you a wakeup call if you ask real nice.

'Sled

Never got the courage to ask for it.
I can just imagine how that would go.

ME: ATC, I'm going to catch a little nap here, would you mind yelling real loud in the mic in about 30 minutes? Thanks I appreciate it!
ATC: Have you lost your mind?!?!?!?

Nice! I want to try that sometime now

Latest resources

Back