Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Baggage

Luvin'

No its not the duffel!!! This is the critter.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11067453&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Kirkland Signature™ Executive 22" Rolling Carry-on LuggageAirline & FAA Approved Carry-on (Most US Domestic Carriers)$109.99Item # 936155Plus Shipping & Handling

• Color: Black
  • Polycarbonate memory frame: 25% lighter & 50% stronger for maximum durability
  • Heavy-duty Cordura® ballistic nylon material made
    to military specifications
  • Deluxe jacquard weave 210-denier nylon lining
  • Top-grain leather lift handles reinforced with metal plates, screws and locknuts
  • All seams are double-stitched with 3-core nylon thread throughout
  • Custom lightweight YKK® unbreakable steel-shank zipper pulls
  • Rubberized corner protection
  • Extended length handle: Reaches 43" from floor to top of handle; single-hand operation; recessed locking handle system w/rubberized comfort grip locks in open/close positions; dual-tempered,
    aircraft-grade aluminum handle tubes
  • 3 exterior pockets: 1 large front panel pocket, 1 smaller accessory pocket and 1 magazine pocket
  • 4 interior pockets: 2 shoe pockets, 1 zippered panel pocket, 1 zippered accessory pocket
  • Removable laundry pocket with polyurethane
    water-resistant lining is also useful as a divider
  • Removable garment carrier
  • Adjustable cargo strap
  • Polyurethane custom wheels w/stainless steel ball bearings for extra-smooth rolling and added stability
  • Curb/stair skids for protection against wear and tear
  • Airline and FAA approved carry-on (most U.S. domestic carriers)
  • Dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9"-11"
  • Weight: 9.8 lbs. (without packing accessories)

Just to add another new hire's perspective:

Rollaboard: I've had a PNS bag in the past, and they are nice. The one I had was the large intl version which would not work in the 737. So, instead of joining in the PNS craze during groundschool, I bought a Costco bag. I've been very happy with it, and I see the bag all over the place at work. LOTS of WN types are using them, and they work well on the 737, both in the cockpit and in the back.

Shirts: I've always worn the VH Aviator or Commander, but decided to splurge and get 3 of the Landerwoods. What a waste. I am VERY disappointed with the shirts I got. Nearly every shirt had some of the stitching blown out on the sides or sleeves, with loose frayed edges, on BRAND NEW shirts. I actually had to take some scissors to trim them up so they where wearable, and yes I was in a time crunch and didn't realize it until too late. I know others have had good experience with Landerwood, and that's why I bought them. But, never again....

Headset: I used a simple Telex 750 in a past life, and figured I'd give molded ear thing a shot. Big mistake. Some people love them. I hated it. Chocolate and vanilla kind of thing I guess. I used it on IOE, and then went right out and bought the BOSE QC mod discussed above. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for me. I'd probably also consider the Telex 850 since it doesn't require batteries.

Shoes: I have a pair of Dockers that cost about $50, have never set off an alarm and look nice. They are almost like putting on slippers they are so comfortable. I looked a long time to find something I liked, and nearly dropped 3x as much to get some custom Johnston Murphys. But these work for now.

HTH!

OK, I'm going to join in here with a Q...
Does the SWA pilot uniform have metal wings on your shirts? Or Blazers? My present uniform does have wings, and so my shirts have the eyelets on the chest, and a number of holes by now. Just wondering if I'll need to replace them with something hole-less.
Many thanks

Great replies. Ya'll have been very helpful. Keep it coming.

Like I said, I'm sold on the Costco bag. Already have the wife going to get it tomorrow. What a gal! :) (I think it's the fact that we're saving a couple hundred bucks!)

For the headphones.... I had no idea how much those suckers cost! Guess I'm used to having those sort of necessities just given to me. After doing much reading on this forum, other threads and Google, it seems like the Bose setup with the adapter is a winning combo. PLEASE SPEAK UP IF YOU SAY NO! I enjoy all points of view.

Back to shirts:
Poplin vs. Pinpoint?
Flap vs. Open False Flap?

Once again, thanks for your help/opinions.

God bless!

my .02:

Don't waste your money on the earpiece mold thing. I have a Sennheiser and will be replacing it with the Bose and Iflymike when the Sennheiser dies.

I have Landerwood shirts (Model #700) www.landerwoodshirts.com and actually do like them better than the ones from Pilot House www.pilotshirts.com (Model TOFS). Although, I did have two of the Landerwood with the seams jacked up. My neighbor sewed them up for free...so I guess I got lucky.

As for as bags go, I have a PNS or Luggageworksonline Bag. In it's previous life it was an anvil. It still weighs as much...but someone added wheels, some Cordura® ballistic nylon and a handle. I think it's more functional as an anvil. ;) On a positive note, it is sturdy and you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it. ;)

Another option in lieu of the Costco bag are ones from E-bags.

Note: the price shown on E-bags website doesn't include any discount. Place the order through SWALIFE and the price drops to $139.

Here are two models to choose from.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/pilot_plus_22_upright/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=63463 This bag is $139 after getting the SWA discount.

I sent an e-mail to the guy at e-bags who designed this new bag asking if it fits in a 300 or 500, and he replied saying he would have someone at LUV FLT OPs fit test it for him and get back with me next week. It looks like they did a lot of testing with this bag...designed for FDDOs or folks with a laptop.

About two weeks ago I saw a Capt with this bag which is $99 w/ the SWALIFE discount:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/professional_22_upright/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=8889

You will need an employee # and password, but can order these through SWALIFE after linking to the "LUV Culture" tab, then over to "discounts" on the left side of the page.

I'm not endorsing E-bags, as I don't have one, but if the new one fits, I give it a try for $139.

Congrats on getting the call...and enjoy your time in Dallas.

Yahtz

Last edited:
I have read other threads regarding a flight/nav bag from Office Depot or Staples. Not sure exactly which one it is, does anybody have a link to it?

SWA/FO said:
What about these landerwood shirts? Anybody, have them?
I think they are out of CLT?

I've had the pilothouse shirts for the last several years...they are ok, just looking for something different. Has to be tapered for my fat body to look good in them.

Its OK to say no when your being asked to buy everything... however, make sure you sign up for Pilot Mutual Aid. I believe you don't get another shot at sigining up for it, only in newhire training.

Been using Landerwood for about 10 years now. HIghly recommend.

Unit

Latest resources

Back