Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

'LUVIN LIFE

No Matter the Situation
As I get ready to start up with SWA I have gotten some info on what to expect from the vendors that first Friday. More info is of course always better. So what say you?

Here's what I've heard so far:

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done
- Get the custom ear molds
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?)
- No need to buy the hat
- What shirts are best?

And yada, yada, yada.

Looking for some input so please enlighten me.

Thanks!

[quote='LUVIN LIFE]As I get ready to start up with SWA Congrats I have gotten some info on what to expect from the vendors that first Friday. More info is of course always better. So what say you?

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done About right
- Get the custom ear molds Wasted money to me, I use Sennheiser open air
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?) Don't hold your breath on that laptop thing
- No need to buy the hat Correct, unless you want a warm noggin in Manchester on an originator in Feb.
- What shirts are best? Cintas Suck, go to pilotshirts.com or Crew gear

And yada, yada, yada. Yes, lots of that. Do a search on luggage, I bought into the purdy neat bag histaria, works good, but weighs 20lbs empty. Costco version lighter and lifetime guarantee

Looking for some input so please enlighten me.

Thanks![/quote]

What about these landerwood shirts? Anybody, have them?
I think they are out of CLT?

I've had the pilothouse shirts for the last several years...they are ok, just looking for something different. Has to be tapered for my fat body to look good in them.

Its OK to say no when your being asked to buy everything... however, make sure you sign up for Pilot Mutual Aid. I believe you don't get another shot at sigining up for it, only in newhire training.

Luvin'

Welcome!

That first month hit on supplies can really hurt. I tried to purchase some stuff a little at a time, beforehand so it would not hurt too much.

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done
- Get the custom ear molds -- Never tried the earmold, but I can tell you the basic company issue set does NOT work. Suffered through IOE with that thing falling out of my ear, and not being able to hear radios. Shortly after switched to a Telex 750 ($180) Big improvement!. Just recently switched from that to a Bose QCII rig that is really slick. Ititilizes a Bose noise cancelling headset (Crutchfield $300), with a plug in mic designed by one of our SWA Capts (uflymike.com $195) The realy cool thing about this headset is you can use it with your laptop, ipod, or just sitting in the back deadheading in peace and quiet. The audio quality is unmatched.
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?) I am always looking for more room to put stuff. With that said I bought the Scott 8" with the end pocket and inside pouch. Big cash, but no regrets. When/if I can leave the FOM/Jepps at home, I will finally have a place for all those other things...lunch, laptop, workout clothes etc.
- No need to buy the hat Unless you just have to have THAT look, don't do it
- What shirts are best? Scoreboard is right Cintas was terrible. Wrong sizes, slow etc. The company just switched to www.mandhuniforms.com

Luggage--Got both the PNT bag and the Costco bag as a backup (and a bag for my wife to use when non-rev). The PNT bag is a heavy bugger, but after having many Capt's bag crashing ontop of my laptop, and the crew van driver using my bag for the "bottom brick of the baggage wall", the PNT bag seems to protect my stuff better.

Shoes -- Something comfortable & airport friendly. Rockport "Orange County" (I think they changed the name of the model) got my vote.

Perrone Leather Jacket -- Unless you fly MDW, No need for Thinsilate liner

Hope all this helps,

Drop a PM if you need more info.

Hooch

Great info so far. I'm printing out your replies to take with me. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Question on the shirts. You said they switched suppliers. Any info on mandhuniforms? Or just go with pilot shirts? On that note. There are like 5 different styles of a basic white shirt. Ugh! Which one is the stan?

The Bose headset sounds nice. Is $500 right for the complete package?

Do you know what the Costco bag is called so I can go it before class?

The replies so far are military bubbas. Yes, like me. So you realize how clueless I am. I'd imagine that the civilian background guys/gals in the class held your hand a little bit. I'm not too proud for the help. So fire away!

Thanks again!

Can you payroll deduct any of the stuff from the vendors? Specifically a Seinauser headset and a flight bag. Does the costco bag fit ok in the cockpit. I'm definetly all for a $90 bag with a lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for all the advice everyone...

Has anyone tried to convert a Perrone jacket designed for another carrier (ATA for me) to the Southwest style? All that I need is a new zipout liner, a new "inner" liner without the ATA embroidery, a bigger velcro patch for the front wings/nametag, and white epaulets.

I know Perrone wouldn't convert from other airlines (like HAL) to ATA's style, but I thought that's because ATA's style of wings is smaller than everyone else's (so the patch on the front couldn't be fixed).

I plan on contacting Perrone in the next few days if I can't get any answers here...

Thanks for the help!

Luvin' / Whiff /Alcatraz

-At one time you could payroll a Sennheiser headset. Rumor has it that is not the case any longer

-You can payroll all your uniform items including the leather jacket

-The Bose rig is well worth it for $500. Thats about half of a Sennheiser or Bose X. And having worn all three, its far lighter & more comfortable. If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip the Telex (not that it was all that bad)and go right to the Bose.

Shirts are not that big a deal..I think I have at least two of several types, Pilot House, VanHeusen Aviator, Rhoades, etc. All work well. I don't see too many folks with long sleeves, or "wing pin" holes.

Whiff, The Costco bag is made by "Kirkland" A quick search of this forum will gain you more than you ever wanted to know about them.

I applaud y'all for squaring away some of these things early. There were several dudes in my class that were coming up on doing Observation rides / IOE right around the corner, with no uniform items. (don't forget eplets) Ya just don't need the stress of wondering if your stuff is going to show up before your first trip.

Alcatraz -- Took a friends jacket up to Andy @ Perrones (I grew up about 20min from Perrones). They did a conversion from AmWest to SWA for $100.

Luvin'

Keep askin' those questions. You will have lots over the next few years...

Cheers
Hooch

SWA/FO said:
What about these landerwood shirts? Anybody, have them?
I think they are out of CLT?

I have some of the Landerwoods and would not buy them again.

PM for details if you are really interested. Don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest here.

Sold!

Okay, I'm sold on the Costco bag. No need to spend three times the amount if I don't need to. I know if I wait to buy it at class I'll get wrapped up in the dizziness of excitement and get grade A everything. :)

Which bag EXACTLY is it though? I'm guessing the 22". There is a 22" rolling duffel ($89) and a 22" rolling carry-on ($109). You're quoted price leads me to the duffel, but I would have thought it was the carry-on.

Heck, what do I know!?!?

Thanks............. again!

Latest resources

Back