Vendors And A Credit Card

'LUVIN LIFE

No Matter the Situation
Total Time
>1.0
As I get ready to start up with SWA I have gotten some info on what to expect from the vendors that first Friday. More info is of course always better. So what say you?

Here's what I've heard so far:

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done
- Get the custom ear molds
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?)
- No need to buy the hat
- What shirts are best?

And yada, yada, yada.

Looking for some input so please enlighten me.

Thanks!

scoreboard

Please keep moving...
Total Time
[quote='LUVIN LIFE]As I get ready to start up with SWA Congrats I have gotten some info on what to expect from the vendors that first Friday. More info is of course always better. So what say you?

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done About right
- Get the custom ear molds Wasted money to me, I use Sennheiser open air
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?) Don't hold your breath on that laptop thing
- No need to buy the hat Correct, unless you want a warm noggin in Manchester on an originator in Feb.
- What shirts are best? Cintas Suck, go to pilotshirts.com or Crew gear

And yada, yada, yada. Yes, lots of that. Do a search on luggage, I bought into the purdy neat bag histaria, works good, but weighs 20lbs empty. Costco version lighter and lifetime guarantee

Looking for some input so please enlighten me.

Thanks![/quote]

SWA/FO

5 Star Senior Member
Total Time
>12000
What about these landerwood shirts? Anybody, have them?
I think they are out of CLT?

I've had the pilothouse shirts for the last several years...they are ok, just looking for something different. Has to be tapered for my fat body to look good in them.

Its OK to say no when your being asked to buy everything... however, make sure you sign up for Pilot Mutual Aid. I believe you don't get another shot at sigining up for it, only in newhire training.

Hooch

Total Time
Luvin'

Welcome!

That first month hit on supplies can really hurt. I tried to purchase some stuff a little at a time, beforehand so it would not hurt too much.

- Expect to drop about two grand when it's all said and done
- Get the custom ear molds -- Never tried the earmold, but I can tell you the basic company issue set does NOT work. Suffered through IOE with that thing falling out of my ear, and not being able to hear radios. Shortly after switched to a Telex 750 ($180) Big improvement!. Just recently switched from that to a Bose QCII rig that is really slick. Ititilizes a Bose noise cancelling headset (Crutchfield $300), with a plug in mic designed by one of our SWA Capts (uflymike.com $195) The realy cool thing about this headset is you can use it with your laptop, ipod, or just sitting in the back deadheading in peace and quiet. The audio quality is unmatched.
- Ask about needing the nav bag because laptops are on the way (?) I am always looking for more room to put stuff. With that said I bought the Scott 8" with the end pocket and inside pouch. Big cash, but no regrets. When/if I can leave the FOM/Jepps at home, I will finally have a place for all those other things...lunch, laptop, workout clothes etc.
- No need to buy the hat Unless you just have to have THAT look, don't do it
- What shirts are best? Scoreboard is right Cintas was terrible. Wrong sizes, slow etc. The company just switched to www.mandhuniforms.com

Luggage--Got both the PNT bag and the Costco bag as a backup (and a bag for my wife to use when non-rev). The PNT bag is a heavy bugger, but after having many Capt's bag crashing ontop of my laptop, and the crew van driver using my bag for the "bottom brick of the baggage wall", the PNT bag seems to protect my stuff better.

Shoes -- Something comfortable & airport friendly. Rockport "Orange County" (I think they changed the name of the model) got my vote.

Perrone Leather Jacket -- Unless you fly MDW, No need for Thinsilate liner

Hope all this helps,

Drop a PM if you need more info.

Hooch

'LUVIN LIFE

No Matter the Situation
Total Time
>1.0
Great info so far. I'm printing out your replies to take with me. No need to reinvent the wheel!

Question on the shirts. You said they switched suppliers. Any info on mandhuniforms? Or just go with pilot shirts? On that note. There are like 5 different styles of a basic white shirt. Ugh! Which one is the stan?

The Bose headset sounds nice. Is $500 right for the complete package?

Do you know what the Costco bag is called so I can go it before class?

The replies so far are military bubbas. Yes, like me. So you realize how clueless I am. I'd imagine that the civilian background guys/gals in the class held your hand a little bit. I'm not too proud for the help. So fire away!

Thanks again!

whiff

Total Time
Can you payroll deduct any of the stuff from the vendors? Specifically a Seinauser headset and a flight bag. Does the costco bag fit ok in the cockpit. I'm definetly all for a $90 bag with a lifetime warranty. Thanks for the info.

Alcatraz

Total Time
Thanks for all the advice everyone...

Has anyone tried to convert a Perrone jacket designed for another carrier (ATA for me) to the Southwest style? All that I need is a new zipout liner, a new "inner" liner without the ATA embroidery, a bigger velcro patch for the front wings/nametag, and white epaulets.

I know Perrone wouldn't convert from other airlines (like HAL) to ATA's style, but I thought that's because ATA's style of wings is smaller than everyone else's (so the patch on the front couldn't be fixed).

I plan on contacting Perrone in the next few days if I can't get any answers here...

Thanks for the help!

Hooch

Total Time
Luvin' / Whiff /Alcatraz

-At one time you could payroll a Sennheiser headset. Rumor has it that is not the case any longer

-You can payroll all your uniform items including the leather jacket

-The Bose rig is well worth it for $500. Thats about half of a Sennheiser or Bose X. And having worn all three, its far lighter & more comfortable. If I were to do it all over again, I'd skip the Telex (not that it was all that bad)and go right to the Bose.

Shirts are not that big a deal..I think I have at least two of several types, Pilot House, VanHeusen Aviator, Rhoades, etc. All work well. I don't see too many folks with long sleeves, or "wing pin" holes.

Whiff, The Costco bag is made by "Kirkland" A quick search of this forum will gain you more than you ever wanted to know about them.

I applaud y'all for squaring away some of these things early. There were several dudes in my class that were coming up on doing Observation rides / IOE right around the corner, with no uniform items. (don't forget eplets) Ya just don't need the stress of wondering if your stuff is going to show up before your first trip.

Alcatraz -- Took a friends jacket up to Andy @ Perrones (I grew up about 20min from Perrones). They did a conversion from AmWest to SWA for $100.

Luvin'

Keep askin' those questions. You will have lots over the next few years...

Cheers
Hooch

Jurassic Jet

Freight Trash
Total Time
Enuf
SWA/FO said:
I have some of the Landerwoods and would not buy them again.

PM for details if you are really interested. Don't want to get into a pi$$ing contest here.

'LUVIN LIFE

No Matter the Situation
Total Time
>1.0
Sold!

Okay, I'm sold on the Costco bag. No need to spend three times the amount if I don't need to. I know if I wait to buy it at class I'll get wrapped up in the dizziness of excitement and get grade A everything. :)

Which bag EXACTLY is it though? I'm guessing the 22". There is a 22" rolling duffel ($89) and a 22" rolling carry-on ($109). You're quoted price leads me to the duffel, but I would have thought it was the carry-on.

Heck, what do I know!?!?

Thanks............. again!

Hooch

Total Time
Baggage

Luvin'

No its not the duffel!!! This is the critter.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11067453&whse=&topnav=&cat=&s=1

Kirkland Signature™ Executive 22" Rolling Carry-on LuggageAirline & FAA Approved Carry-on (Most US Domestic Carriers)$109.99Item # 936155Plus Shipping & Handling

• Color: Black
  • Polycarbonate memory frame: 25% lighter & 50% stronger for maximum durability
  • Heavy-duty Cordura® ballistic nylon material made
    to military specifications
  • Deluxe jacquard weave 210-denier nylon lining
  • Top-grain leather lift handles reinforced with metal plates, screws and locknuts
  • All seams are double-stitched with 3-core nylon thread throughout
  • Custom lightweight YKK® unbreakable steel-shank zipper pulls
  • Rubberized corner protection
  • Extended length handle: Reaches 43" from floor to top of handle; single-hand operation; recessed locking handle system w/rubberized comfort grip locks in open/close positions; dual-tempered,
    aircraft-grade aluminum handle tubes
  • 3 exterior pockets: 1 large front panel pocket, 1 smaller accessory pocket and 1 magazine pocket
  • 4 interior pockets: 2 shoe pockets, 1 zippered panel pocket, 1 zippered accessory pocket
  • Removable laundry pocket with polyurethane
    water-resistant lining is also useful as a divider
  • Removable garment carrier
  • Adjustable cargo strap
  • Polyurethane custom wheels w/stainless steel ball bearings for extra-smooth rolling and added stability
  • Curb/stair skids for protection against wear and tear
  • Airline and FAA approved carry-on (most U.S. domestic carriers)
  • Dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9"-11"
  • Weight: 9.8 lbs. (without packing accessories)

maxpwrset

Total Time
~8000
Just to add another new hire's perspective:

Rollaboard: I've had a PNS bag in the past, and they are nice. The one I had was the large intl version which would not work in the 737. So, instead of joining in the PNS craze during groundschool, I bought a Costco bag. I've been very happy with it, and I see the bag all over the place at work. LOTS of WN types are using them, and they work well on the 737, both in the cockpit and in the back.

Shirts: I've always worn the VH Aviator or Commander, but decided to splurge and get 3 of the Landerwoods. What a waste. I am VERY disappointed with the shirts I got. Nearly every shirt had some of the stitching blown out on the sides or sleeves, with loose frayed edges, on BRAND NEW shirts. I actually had to take some scissors to trim them up so they where wearable, and yes I was in a time crunch and didn't realize it until too late. I know others have had good experience with Landerwood, and that's why I bought them. But, never again....

Headset: I used a simple Telex 750 in a past life, and figured I'd give molded ear thing a shot. Big mistake. Some people love them. I hated it. Chocolate and vanilla kind of thing I guess. I used it on IOE, and then went right out and bought the BOSE QC mod discussed above. It's not perfect, but it works well enough for me. I'd probably also consider the Telex 850 since it doesn't require batteries.

Shoes: I have a pair of Dockers that cost about $50, have never set off an alarm and look nice. They are almost like putting on slippers they are so comfortable. I looked a long time to find something I liked, and nearly dropped 3x as much to get some custom Johnston Murphys. But these work for now.

HTH!

herewego again

Total Time
OK, I'm going to join in here with a Q...
Does the SWA pilot uniform have metal wings on your shirts? Or Blazers? My present uniform does have wings, and so my shirts have the eyelets on the chest, and a number of holes by now. Just wondering if I'll need to replace them with something hole-less.
Many thanks

'LUVIN LIFE

No Matter the Situation
Total Time
>1.0
Great replies. Ya'll have been very helpful. Keep it coming.

Like I said, I'm sold on the Costco bag. Already have the wife going to get it tomorrow. What a gal! :) (I think it's the fact that we're saving a couple hundred bucks!)

For the headphones.... I had no idea how much those suckers cost! Guess I'm used to having those sort of necessities just given to me. After doing much reading on this forum, other threads and Google, it seems like the Bose setup with the adapter is a winning combo. PLEASE SPEAK UP IF YOU SAY NO! I enjoy all points of view.

Back to shirts:
Poplin vs. Pinpoint?
Flap vs. Open False Flap?

Once again, thanks for your help/opinions.

God bless!

Yahtzee

Season Ticket Holder
Total Time
7000+
my .02:

Don't waste your money on the earpiece mold thing. I have a Sennheiser and will be replacing it with the Bose and Iflymike when the Sennheiser dies.

I have Landerwood shirts (Model #700) www.landerwoodshirts.com and actually do like them better than the ones from Pilot House www.pilotshirts.com (Model TOFS). Although, I did have two of the Landerwood with the seams jacked up. My neighbor sewed them up for free...so I guess I got lucky.

As for as bags go, I have a PNS or Luggageworksonline Bag. In it's previous life it was an anvil. It still weighs as much...but someone added wheels, some Cordura® ballistic nylon and a handle. I think it's more functional as an anvil. ;) On a positive note, it is sturdy and you won't have to worry about anyone stealing it. ;)

Another option in lieu of the Costco bag are ones from E-bags.

Note: the price shown on E-bags website doesn't include any discount. Place the order through SWALIFE and the price drops to $139.

Here are two models to choose from.

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/pilot_plus_22_upright/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=63463 This bag is $139 after getting the SWA discount.

I sent an e-mail to the guy at e-bags who designed this new bag asking if it fits in a 300 or 500, and he replied saying he would have someone at LUV FLT OPs fit test it for him and get back with me next week. It looks like they did a lot of testing with this bag...designed for FDDOs or folks with a laptop.

About two weeks ago I saw a Capt with this bag which is $99 w/ the SWALIFE discount:

http://www.ebags.com/ebags/professional_22_upright/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=8889

You will need an employee # and password, but can order these through SWALIFE after linking to the "LUV Culture" tab, then over to "discounts" on the left side of the page.

I'm not endorsing E-bags, as I don't have one, but if the new one fits, I give it a try for $139.

Congrats on getting the call...and enjoy your time in Dallas.

Yahtz

Last edited:

str8upflyrght

Total Time
3000+
What other "big ticket" items are you encouraged to buy during indoc? I'm another cluess mil guy.

BMW

Total Time
I have read other threads regarding a flight/nav bag from Office Depot or Staples. Not sure exactly which one it is, does anybody have a link to it?

AMRCostUnit

Back on the 737
Total Time
SWA/FO said:

I've had the pilothouse shirts for the last several years...they are ok, just looking for something different. Has to be tapered for my fat body to look good in them.

Its OK to say no when your being asked to buy everything... however, make sure you sign up for Pilot Mutual Aid. I believe you don't get another shot at sigining up for it, only in newhire training.
Been using Landerwood for about 10 years now. HIghly recommend.

Unit