• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UX off the runway in ottawa

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wait so thrust reversers an option on the erj?

Rumor I heard a few years ago was it saved $2 million per plane. Not exactly sure of the numbers but I'd say less than 25% of TSA's fleet has reverse...which is also the reason so many people have to move from the front to the back every leg.

Rumor I heard a few years ago was it saved $2 million per plane. Not exactly sure of the numbers but I'd say less than 25% of TSA's fleet has reverse...which is also the reason so many people have to move from the front to the back every leg.

Or it could be United's ingenious software that loads all the pax in the front of the plane first. Literally rows 1-6 will be full, with nobody beyond that.

Or it could be United's ingenious software that loads all the pax in the front of the plane first. Literally rows 1-6 will be full, with nobody beyond that.

That doesn't help at all. But there is a noticeable difference in what the zone count has to be in order to not be nose heavy in planes that have TRs compared to planes that dont have TRs.

And the plane was delyed leaving IAD due to a MX issue. And according to the interview with one of the pax, the CA came ove and said they had no brakes.

No brakes because the tires were hydroplaning. The Flight Safety Foundation put out an overrun risk assesment paper several years ago which everyone should read. I'm sure those planes with no reverse are a nightmare- no way to get slowed below hydroplane speed. and a huge problem during winter I'm sure. Add the regional roster pattern and crap management- it can happen. AF did the same thing in Toronto a bit ago..

Last edited:
It is an option. To my knowledge, Trans States is the only airline to opt out.

Nope-CHQ had two from some bankrupt Greek airline called Axxon,or some such.N974RP was one,I think ? P.O.S. didn't even have a galley cart !

It is an option. To my knowledge, Trans States is the only airline to opt out.
Nope-CHQ had two from some bankrupt Greek airline called Axxon,or some such.N974RP was one,I think ? P.O.S. didn't even have a galley cart !
The first 145 LUs (the ones without thrust reversers) that TSA received were ex-Crossair birds, basically LR models without thrust reversers. BA CityExpress in the UK that later merged into Flybe had 145EUs that are basically EPs without thrust reversers. When Flybe phased out their 145s last year two or three went to Greece that I believe now ended up with RP. Opinions can differ about the ex AXXON 145s but they had ovens in them and I enjoyed warm crew food back when I flew for Flybe. Nothing better than some spicy Chicken Tikka when you cross the channel!

Other 145 operators in Europe do not have TRs on them (BMI Regional, Swedens City Airlines etc.) and there had only been two runway overruns in Europe, BA CityExpress in HAJ and Flybe in STR. The latter one was due to inadequate snow removal on the runway. HAJ was due to a brake issue I think.

The LR/LU and EP/EU difference doesn't actually lie with the TR equipment, but with the max. allowable ramp weight that is just 40 lbs more. Some non-equipped TR 145s are LRs. Even the Feds overseeing TSA got initially confused.

Hope the pilots get well soon. This is the second TSA overrun in YOW and it seems to be brake-related again.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back