USNA midshipmen own USAFA F-4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MercuryPilot said:
BTW, is the USAFA an accredited institution?
Who cares? Steak and Lobster three nights a week, spectacular views, and women waiting at the gates. Who could ask for anything more?!?!?!

:rolleyes:

:)

Back to the subject of whether ther F-4 should have been off limits...

I respectfully disagree with those who are angry about using the F-4 for a spirit mission.

In my opinion, this F-4 is not a "war memorial" in the classic sense of the term. The F-4 celebrates U.S. Air Force success; it does not memorialize my comrades who have given their lives.

If the middies had desecrated the Graduate War Memorial in the Air Gardens, then I would be as angry as anyone.

However, the F-4 celebrates six MiG kills -- two by ACE Steve Ritchie. It does not memorialize anyone's passing.

So, by temporarily painting this great USAF aircraft in Navy colors, the mids were good naturedly poking a finger in the eye of Air Force. Good for them.

I am not offended, in the least. Rather, I'm impressed by their ingenuity.

KC-10 Driver said:
I am not offended, in the least. Rather, I'm impressed by their ingenuity.

Too bad everyone can't feel that way. Well said in the entire post.

Quit feeling all butt hurt, and instead (like anyone with some self respect) get even!

SIG600 said:
Crew, canopy, cords, harness, mask, crunch, dive, pull, prey... I still remember that.

Plus Speed, clean, check, feather, look, lock, a, b, c....

You mean you haven't forgotten primary in the whole last year!!!?!

Besides a blue "AF" on Herndon Monument and Tecumseh painted different colors (looked more like a spirit mission done by preschoolers) I didn't notice any significant AF hits on the Yard.

Great game though!!

Occam's Razor said:
'Kay...you didn't get it. That's cool. I was going for the "big picture vs. local tradition" comparison. Probably a rim shot. Calling Single Target Track a "tradition" was just me being clever.

You had posted, "Tradition is something that's dying at all service academies,...", and later made reference to flying fighters. I was trying to point out that academy traditions are merely mechanisms to instill discipline and espirit...which ultimately (for fighter pilots) leads to pulling the trigger or pushing the button when the SHOOT cue pops up on the HUD.

The Mids on exchange at the Zoo don't give a rat's patoot about the traditions in place there. As long as they don't violate a universal taboo (burning the flag, for example) perhaps you shouldn't either?

Occam, please keep the argument straight. I've never once said anything about the Mids and the F-4 or them violating any kind of tradition at USAFA. In fact, I didn't say anything to anyone until some peeps tried to take cheap shots at both USAFA and USNA.

Sorry if I didn't get your analogy. Perhaps it wasn't very well written..'kay?

MAGNUM!! said:
Sorry if I didn't get your analogy. Perhaps it wasn't very well written..'kay?

Good point! I'll avoid referencing any sort of tactical jargon if I think a Lawn Dart driver might read it.

Occam's Razor said:
Good point! I'll avoid referencing any sort of tactical jargon if I think a Lawn Dart driver might read it.

Feel free to post as much tactical smack as you want...it's a military thread.

Just make sure it's right...credibility and all.

Is this a thread on the regionals side of the board? This is worse than a MESA -vs- Chitaqua thread.

Latest resources

Back