USNA midshipmen own USAFA F-4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MAGNUM!! said:
At what? Painting? Let's wait and see what the USAFA bros do....

USAF guys taking the initiative? Thinking outside the box? You don't have to get too creative to land on 2+ miles of wide runway.....

I'm sure the Ascot boys will come up with a plan and run it up the Chain of Command and get the UberCommander to approve it.....

Good luck....

War memorials have been long off limits for spirit missions. The F-4 is such a memorial.

Right idea, wrong airplane. Classless.

Tony beat me to it. The F4 is a war memorial, and would be similar to defacing the KIA memorial in the North part of the air gardens.

Besides, painting ain't squat. In MY day, (too long ago) the AC had to be moved. Preferably to the top of one of the campus buildings.

TonyC said:
War memorials have been long off limits for spirit missions. The F-4 is such a memorial.

Right idea, wrong airplane. Classless.

Sore losers? In addition, the color will come off..... The USAF spokesperson didn't seem to take issue with this... In fact, they recognized, challenged and warned the Squids to watch out for the return volley....

All in good fun....

Besides don't you Ascots have forced religion and sex issues to deal with?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Sore losers? In addition, the color will come off..... The USAF spokesperson didn't seem to take issue with this... In fact, they recognized, challenged and warned the Squids to watch out for the return volley....

All in good fun....

Besides don't you Ascots have forced religion and sex issues to deal with?
Low blow to edit your post and toss in the sex and religion issues. It's all about spirit, right?

I agree that it's all in good fun, but it's not in good taste. You don't decorate war memorials with spirit missions. You don't move war memorials with spirit missions. You don't desecrate war memorials with spirit missions. Take a close look at the picture in the HometownAnnapolis story and you'll see a plaque mounted to an angled post adjacent to the F-4. On that plaque, readers learn of that airframe's service in war, and it's record of MiG kills.

There are 4 airplanes on the terrazo (it has four corners) and another in the air gardens. Several are fair game, but this one is not. I've personally been involved, no I mean I've "heard about" these airplanes being moved to the top of spirit hill, or to the middle of the parade field, or to the front door of the dining hall. NEVER would I have been part of, I mean heard a story about, using a war memorial for a spirit mission. I've moved entire offices of Army, Navy, and Marine Corps officers to spirit hill. I've transformed offices into wading pools, foxholes, or bunkers. I've acquired personal automobiles and placed them, painted Air Force Blue, atop spirit hill for the noon meal formation. Umm, I mean, I've heard about those things being done. Never, ever, ever would we have considered touching a war memorial.

The "Air Force Academy spokesman" had little to say, either way, about the target selection. He had no choice but to put the best "spin" on the matter, and only those parts of his remarks that fit the Hometown Annapolis slant on the story were published. To the notoriously uniformed public, it would appear to be poor sportsmanship to condemn the prank, as they would not likely "get" the seriousness of the war memorial issue. We' wouldn't paint BEAT ARMY on the Vietnam War Memorial in D.C., even if the paint WOULD come off. It's simply poor taste.

I applaud the Middies for their ingenuity and spirit. I grieve for the defacing of a war memorial.

Good One!

I don't think it is a big deal. Heck, I flew that F-4 when it was at Homestead and didn't cut it any slack because it had red stars on the side. It was a privilege to fly it and relish its past. I may be misinformed about its status, but what makes it a war memorial vs a static display with combat experience? The last time I walked past it on the terrazo, I didn't see anything that set it apart from the other AC (not trying to be flippant here). Irregardless, the paint will wash off and it will be restored to its previous condition. I have a hard time believing that the midshipmen would ever dream of permanently defacing the aircraft or showing any disrespect for its past accomplishments or the legacy it represents. It was a well conceived and executed spirit mission. I just hope there is a pink submarine somewhere at Annapolis in retaliation. BEAT NAVY:smash: !!!!

Latest resources

Back