USNA midshipmen own USAFA F-4

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tony C.,

As never being active duty, only living the dependant lifestyle for 18+ years, I will recognize your position and defer to post #10.

Although the Vietnam analogy doesn't work. That would be a public issue. This issue is in house. The public doesn't have access to the acadamy campuses...

Pink Submarine? Wasn't that done in a movie? Mr. Roberts?

Rez O. Lewshun said:
You don't have to get too creative to land on 2+ miles of wide runway.....

Rez,
Apparently, you need to challenge yourself a bit more in your flying training. If your day-to-day ops is that benign, even on a 2+ mile, wide runway, then you aren't moving toward your potential (or lack thereof).

TonyC said:
War memorials have been long off limits for spirit missions. The F-4 is such a memorial.

Right idea, wrong airplane. Classless.

No classless are the USAF Cadets in Annapolis retaliating by spray painting obcenities on the walls of one of the halls...

Get your panties out of a wad and read the article. Not even the USAFA spokesman cared and appears to think it's just "game on" now. You one of those SNAPS that Fury is after?

Huggyu2 said:
Rez,
Apparently, you need to challenge yourself a bit more in your flying training. If your day-to-day ops is that benign, even on a 2+ mile, wide runway, then you aren't moving toward your potential (or lack thereof).

Are you all there?

Pranks...

ExAF said:
I may be misinformed about its status, but what makes it a war memorial vs a static display with combat experience?

I remember being on the terrazo the day it was flown over USAFA and then of course seeing it displayed. I even have pictures of it from the same angle, but sort of before/after shots of it in Homestead ANG colors and Vietnam colors.

As dinks back at the zoo, we were taught that the war memorials were not to be touched. It was considered classless even if other zoomies did it.

That being said, from what I understand, the F-16 and F-104 at the time were NOT off limits because they had not done combat. The F-16 was a wind tunnel test article. The F-104 had done high speed/altitude testing back at Edwards. The current F-15A was a line fighter that hadn't seen combat.

The F-105 was built from several combat F-105s, and of course, we know about the F-4. I think that was the critical difference...the F-4 and the F-105 had both been in combat (okay, maybe the Thud is a bit of a stretch because it saw combat in several aircraft) and so were considered war memorials.

Do I appreciate a good prank? You betcha! Obscenities on a wall are NOT a good prank. What the middies did on the F-4 was a good prank...I just think it was the wrong target (though in fairness, considering the USAFA has no other aircraft that the Blue Angels ever used....).

FastCargo

Tony... lighten up Francis. You and Fury are embarrassing.

Crew, canopy, cords, harness, mask, crunch, dive, pull, prey... I still remember that.

Plus Speed, clean, check, feather, look, lock, a, b, c....

FastCargo said:
I remember being on the terrazo the day it was flown over USAFA and then of course seeing it displayed. I even have pictures of it from the same angle, but sort of before/after shots of it in Homestead ANG colors and Vietnam colors.

That being said, from what I understand, the F-16 and F-104 at the time were NOT off limits because they had not done combat. The F-16 was a wind tunnel test article. The F-104 had done high speed/altitude testing back at Edwards. The current F-15A was a line fighter that hadn't seen combat.
I was packing to leave the tiny resort nestled in the foothills of the Rockies the day the F-16 replaced the T-38 on the northwest corner of the terrazzo. By then, the F-4 had been firmly planted (and chained) to the southeast corner for several years. I don't think you could have seen it flying over USAFA, unless you're referring to a visit you might have made several years earlier.

The F-104 was easy to push. :)

Or so I heard. :)

Latest resources

Back