USAPA's Real Motivation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green

USAPA likes to talk about honor and integrity. The reality is that they are eager to sell out the profession in order to circumvent binding arbitration. They are willing to give $688 MILLION in CONCESSIONS if Doug will agree to RE-ORDER the seniority list!!!!! YGBFKM!!!! We are trying to restore the profession yet the east pilots are willing to sell us all out in order to steal AWA seniority. They aren't scabs but they're about as close as you can possibly get. Maybe we should call them sores. This is not democracy prevailing, this is the majority abusing the minority. You WON'T get away with it.

Subject: Overturning Nicolau Award
Author: XXXXX XXXXXXXX
Date: 12 Feb 2008 01:28 PM

As many of you know, we have been promising for some time to overturn the Nicolau Award. Our law firm has from the very beginning of this process assured us that this would be “highly, highly, likely” Through a more thorough review of the legal landscape and court precedences we have to come to realize that overturning the award has a slim chance of success.

I know that this will be disheartening news to many of you, particularly when we are so close to the NMB vote allowing us to control our future. Take heart. Our plan to protect your career has now shifted from completely overturning the award, to an approach which would essentially make an end-run around the list. This list will still be out there, however our intention is to make it very hard to ever implement it. This is an approach which really is “highly, highly likely.”

Some of you may be questioning our change in focus with respect to the Nicolau award. We have had a titanic shift in thinking with regard to our herculean effort to get you the protections you are rightly justified in having concerns. Let me take the time to explain our plan moving forward.

Once we become the bargaining agent for all US Airways pilots, we will take over contract negotiations. As we have reported to you (and supported by past court cases) your seniority does not “belong” to you. Rakestraw v. United demonstrated this (see PHL Roadshow videos). Seniority is a negotiable item, and is only good until the next barganing cycle. ALPA has set this legal precedent itself. In the United case ALPA paid United $200 million to correct the seniority of the pilots that honored the picket lines. Moving the 539 scabs behind the 570 pilots that honored the strike set the standard for the cost associated with renegotiating seniority. $200million divided by 539 pilots comes out to approximately $371,058 per pilot. With approximately 1800 America West pilots, we’ll need about $668 Million to re-order the seniority list. While this may seem like an unrealistic amount of money, please realize that you won’t have to pay for ANY of it.

Doug Parker has shown time and time again that this merger was simply about finances. Well, two can play at that game. You may recall his cost-neutral stance when his negotiators were last at the barganing table. Our plan is simple: give Doug what he wants, and we get what we want. A cost neutral contract will easily save the company $668 million. All that we ask for in return is to order the seniority list on a date of hire basis, with reasonable adjustments made for time of service. True, this will cause SOME reordering of our own seniority list, but I think we can all agree that those of us that loose a little will benefit from the fact that most of us will gain 1800 numbers of furlough protection.

To close out this post, and to further demostrate to you how different USAPA is from ALPA I want to share with you several court summaries that we received from one of our pilot volunteers. I think they demostrate that we really pay attention to input from our pilot group, that we are not so set in our ways that we can’t change direction, and that we truly are a transparent union. Some of the language is not at polished as we strive for in our communications, but I wanted you to see the unfiltered emotion which drives our great movement. When reading these summaries ask yourself this question: “Would ALPA allow information that is critical of itself to be widely distributed?” I think we all know the answer to that question, and that is why we were able to submit over 3000 cards to the NMB. Remember: USAPA is about giving US Airways pilots the right to make a choice!

Last edited:
Their motivation is similar to that of the barnyard dog that pi$$es on the hay just so that the cows can't eat it. I feel bad for all the good folks there who have gotten sucked into a vortex created by a few lunatics with way too much leverage.

So USAPA LIED to the pilot of USAIR/AWA. Not surprising. And USAPA is expected to really treat the pilots of USAir/AWA fairly? This LEGAL REVIEW should have been done from the start. (or was it done and you ignored it?)This is exactly what ALPA and many legal analysit have said all along! Either your lawyers were idots or the leadership of USAPA is self centered, biased and not for the welfare of the whole pilot group.

You promised to take care of the AWA pilots as well as the USAir pilots. Well, it seems you are willing to sell the AWA pilots down the river to get what you want. It is obvious that the USAPA and those in it and who support it cannot be trusted. It is sad to see pilots acting like management.

Just my opinion.....

FNG

Looks like the USAPA guys are sandbagging.... but still insisting on success.... just give us a chance (and 668MM)!!

highly, highly (un)likely.......

hate to say i told you so-=

but i've been railing on the reality of this for a while. It's not about anyone's definition of "fair" - it's about the reality of what IS right now- and the FACT that we all pattern bargain- just the delay has cost our profession millions... Step up USAir- regain your place at the dinner table.... This seniority list is at it's greatest a small bump in the road for you.

USAPA likes to talk about honor and integrity.

"Integrity" would be putting a return address on the ALPA Concerned Pilots Committee propaganda they send me.

"Integrity" would be for the ACPC to reveal where they got my address from.

"Integrity" would be for the ACPC to sign the letters they send.

"Integrity" would be for the lacky to sign the supposed letter that you are posting. That is a ridiculous misinformation campaign letter floating up from the sewer.

It truly amazes me that ALPA's only response to the USAPA grass roots drive is to redouble their efforts of doing the exact thing that is the very cause for their opposition's motivation.

If there ever where a proof that a leopard cant' change its spots...but it can run twice as fast when it is scared.

Turtle: excellent refutation of all the accusations against USAPA. I'm sure they're proud of your strong defensive points.

"Integrity" is Standing by your word and honoring signed contracts. Time to grow up Turtle and act like a big boy/girl. Throwing the temper tantrum of the century and trying to weasel your way out of binding arbitration does not say "Integrity."

Turtle: excellent refutation of all the accusations against USAPA. I'm sure they're proud of your strong defensive points.

Far be it from me to defend USAPA. They will stand or fall on the basis of what they do, just like ALPA.

Vote for who you want, then grab a brew and celebrate reality.:beer:

Latest resources

Back