• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAirways Inaugural Nonstop CLT - PHNL isn't so Non-Stop

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So Mr. experience what would you have done?? Run out of fuel over the ocean? Sounds like they made a smart decision to me to stop for fuel. Maybe your company is different, but I don't have any say on what equipment fly's what route at my company.

US has been notorious for hounding the pilots to cut fuel loads really close..

"Has nothing to do with East or West..."

Well, Sandhawk, you sure brought that fight to the table with the "eastie crewed 767" flame.

That's the first thing I caught too.... (the dig).

If the high schoolers ( E &W cry babies) need to see monkeys throwing poop at one another they should go to the zoo and learn from the professionals in cages.
Maybe USAPA can sponsor this field trip? They seem to waste money on everything else!

So I was right - another cryin Westie?
And by the way - although I am still working and I am probably senior to Sandhawk on the nic - I sincerely wish no one was on furlough - since I have had friends and family on that list like Sandhawk. And although we can throw barbs at each other - in reality we should be throwing the barbs at our leaders for not negotiating a fair contract that we can all vote on.

Metrojet
QUOTE]

That is a great post raht chair!

Dude.....

You sobered up and I completely agree!

The Hatfield and Mckoy bull******************** is not helping

those of us on furlough one F#($%king bit!

:uzi:

Maybe if they didn't run the APU all the way from CLT, they might have enough fuel. Maybe the Pacific is too much for the mighty men of Piedagheny.

It will be intersting to see how the PHL-ANC works out on the B752 E-tops

I'm just dissappointed that this was seemingly not well thought out. If you announce that you are going to provide a particular service, you should be sure that you have the staff and tools to provide that service. US Airways management announced "non-stop service" from CLT to Hawaii. I don't know if is poor planning, wrong equipment, pilot induced, or what.

HP announced non-stop coast to coast service from JFK, BOS, etc. to LAX, SFO, etc. More times than not we were able to take the A319 on these missions (although sometimes with seat restrictions). The B757 would likely have been a better overall aircraft for this, but we got it done. Over a course of time the aircraft filled up. I'm not entirely sure why we stopped these services...perhaps because we aquired US Air and had bases in BOS, LGA, PHL, and CLT. Who knows.

As an employee and stockholder, my expectations are much higher than the present results.

I'm just dissappointed that this was seemingly not well thought out. If you announce that you are going to provide a particular service, you should be sure that you have the staff and tools to provide that service. US Airways management announced "non-stop service" from CLT to Hawaii. I don't know if is poor planning, wrong equipment, pilot induced, or what.

As much as I get a grin out of the situation, I think it's mostly a matter of bad luck. The 762 can probably do this flight more than 97% of the time, however they decided to inagurate it during the 3% of bad headwind weather. Last week I had a SEA-HNL flight that blocked over 7 hours - normally about 5.5. Those same days Alaska had to send all their Hawaii-bound flights from SEA and PDX through OAK for fuel & a shorter trans-Pac route. Sometimes the dice just get rolled against you.

Oh, and I remember Parker & McClelland telling us (when I was there) around mid-2005 that the transcons were being cut because we couldn't compete with the fares offered by the big boys - UA, AA, DL, and the up-and-comer JetBlue. I also remember barely squeaking into SFO from BOS in a 319 on bare-minimum fuel because the dispatchers $crewed the pooch on the forecast winds. I guess some things never change at good-'ol USAirways!

HAL

As much as I get a grin out of the situation, I think it's mostly a matter of bad luck. The 762 can probably do this flight more than 97% of the time, however they decided to inagurate it during the 3% of bad headwind weather. Last week I had a SEA-HNL flight that blocked over 7 hours - normally about 5.5. Those same days Alaska had to send all their Hawaii-bound flights from SEA and PDX through OAK for fuel & a shorter trans-Pac route. Sometimes the dice just get rolled against you.

Oh, and I remember Parker & McClelland telling us (when I was there) around mid-2005 that the transcons were being cut because we couldn't compete with the fares offered by the big boys - UA, AA, DL, and the up-and-comer JetBlue. I also remember barely squeaking into SFO from BOS in a 319 on bare-minimum fuel because the dispatchers $crewed the pooch on the forecast winds. I guess some things never change at good-'ol USAirways!

HAL

Hal -

Totally off topic - but the family and I flew on HA last summer on flt 1 lax -hnl - we had a great flight and great vacation - and we hope to do the same this summer again - are you going to bid the A330?

Metrojet

Latest resources

Back