• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir/TA10 Award

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Two hard headed groups that will get no where until they each come down from their pedastals. I have always been a fan of USAir way back to when I flew for Allegheny Commuter. Both of these pilot groups have the ability to burn that place down. For the sake of the thousands of families that would have their way of life turned upside down, I hope that does not come to pass.

I sure hope the UAL/CO MEC's are paying attention on how not to do it.

I love this "both groups" crap. So far the West guys have upheld every agreement they've made. Just because they refuse to bend over and take it in the pooper hardly means they're acting like they're on a pedestal. Also, for the record the West guys have never said, "either we get what we want or we'll burn the place down". I seem to remember a certain group facing liquidity with the mantra, "full pay 'til the last day".

As a 21 year AWA pilot I hate USAirways as much as if not more than most. But to be fair your statement above is not true. AWA was not making money, was not buying new planes other than those they were going to default on and was not hiring. Just trying to keep things honest. The AWA guys have gone off the reservation as much as the east guys by claiming their company was a going concern pre merger. Neither was. But neither side will admit they were working for a failed enterprise and the merger was the only thing that saved both. Those are just cold hard facts.

I'm not exactly sure what airline you are referring to, but prior to announcing the merger with US Air in May 2005....America West was hiring (yes, Save Dave), upgrading, getting new aircraft (as well as replacement aircraft....you don't need more pilots & upgrades if your #'s of airframes remain the same, right??). As to making money...perhaps you forgot TA1, where ALPA financial analysts stated that AWA was not in a position to make money....and guess what? They did make money that next quarter as we awaited TA 2 & TA 2.5 (Contract 2004). Here's an old article done in early 2004: http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Processes/AmericaWest-Flight-Plan/

Here's a couple of my favorite blurbs:

Even though its troubles began well before the trauma of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, America West's operations started to show signs of improvement in late 2001: It had the best on-time performance between December 2001 and February 2002, and again in May 2002. Today, America West's on-time performance is consistently above the industry average. One reason is the improved reliability of its supporting information systems, particularly those for the company's Strategic Operations Center—responsible for all flights nationwide—and its main hub in Phoenix. ...

America West's improvement in operations, whether due to better systems or more responsive employees, is paying off, says Michael Boyd, an airline-industry analyst with the Boyd Group. That's why America West is edging back into profitability at a time when most airlines are still suffering losses, he says. "If you're reliable, people will fly you again."

The results are now evident: America West earned $79.7 million in the second quarter and $32.9 million in the third (that would be 2nd & 3rd quarters of 2003). And while America West still expects to lose money for the full year, it forecasts a profit for 2004.

Just trying to keep things honest and informed.

Funny that the guys discounting the truth Denny writes were in Indoc and on probation when the investor funded merger was announced.

Just like a pompous, junior little westie to spout off like that to a fellow aviator with 21 years at his outfit.

Me? Not indoc. 2000 hire w/ six months on the beach after 9/11. Recalled Spring 2001 on reserve (flying 90 hours a month shortly after..."Hey, I'm sorry but I'm too tired to sit 4 hours and then do a BUR turn....how about you hire some pilots??". 300 -400 numbers from upgrade (lots of quality of life bidders, but still 300-400) when the "merge" was announced.

This "junior little westie" is waving the big red BS flag. Denny is not likely what he claims to be OR has his head UP & LOCKED. Proof.....http://www.baselinemag.com/c/a/Projects-Processes/AmericaWest-Flight-Plan/

Investor funded or not, AWA was making money, solvent, hiring (including some great furloughed TWA, US Air, United, and American pilots), upgrading, getting airplanes, and generally enjoying a post 9/11 airline growth.

. And while America West still expects to lose money for the full year, it forecasts a profit for 2004.

Just trying to keep things honest and informed.

America West, based in Tempe, Ariz., dodged a bankruptcy court filing in late 2001 by winning a $429 million commercial loan backed by $380 million in federal guarantees. That unlocked more than $600 million in other financing and concessions from manufacturers, vendors, leasing firms and others. But the carrier could still be at risk.

It posted a net loss last year (2004) of $89.9 million on revenue of $2.34 billion

http://money.cnn.com/2005/04/20/news/fortune500/usair_amwest.dj/index.htm

The most lucrative deal was a $429 million guaranteed loan to America West. Not only was it repaid in full, but America West also issued the ATSB a warrant to purchase 18.8 million shares, which represented a third of the company's common stock, and allowed the ATSB to buy it at $3 a share. By the time the ATSB cashed out, the stock was up to $9. (America West merged with US Airways in 2005.)

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2007/03/05/8401274/index.htm

Something happened in late 2001 I can't quite recall, but it really changed the operating environment Johnnyb; gosh, what was it that hurt the industry so bad in late 2001?

Dork.

Oh and this:
So far, ATSB's only potentially problematic guarantee has been its largest—a March 2003, $900 million guarantee on a $1 billion loan to USAirways. In return, the ATSB got warrants to buy 7.64 million shares of the company at $7.42 a share. So far, the company has repaid $250 million of the loan, meaning the taxpayers still have a $675 million exposure. But the stock has plummeted to about $2, meaning the warrants aren't worth much: about $5.5 million in all.

http://www.slate.com/id/2100198

Sorry to inject factual information into the vitriol, carry-on with the thread please; I have 9 pages in the pool.

At the end of the day what all airline pilots of the United States know and recognize is that the USAirways Pilots Association - USAPA - is a scab union comprised of SCAB leaders elected by a SCAB majority of east pilots. And those are just the facts. You can ban me from this board or whatever but the truth is the truth. And I'll spend every day of my career making sure everyone is aware of the SCAB USAPA joke.

It's the least I can do in the service of this great country to bring down a SCAB union - USAPA. SCABS.

Moderator deletes the previous post in 3....2....1....

I'd say I agree with you, but doing so would result in me sitting in the penalty box with you, so I'd never do that. ;)

Latest resources

Back