• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir/TA10 Award

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, except America West was making money, buying new planes, and hiring. Otherwise your analogy makes sense.

As a 21 year AWA pilot I hate USAirways as much as if not more than most. But to be fair your statement above is not true. AWA was not making money, was not buying new planes other than those they were going to default on and was not hiring. Just trying to keep things honest. The AWA guys have gone off the reservation as much as the east guys by claiming their company was a going concern pre merger. Neither was. But neither side will admit they were working for a failed enterprise and the merger was the only thing that saved both. Those are just cold hard facts.

As a 21 year AWA pilot I hate USAirways as much as if not more than most. But to be fair your statement above is not true. AWA was not making money, was not buying new planes other than those they were going to default on and was not hiring. Just trying to keep things honest. The AWA guys have gone off the reservation as much as the east guys by claiming their company was a going concern pre merger. Neither was. But neither side will admit they were working for a failed enterprise and the merger was the only thing that saved both. Those are just cold hard facts.

I don't work for East Or West But THANK GOD, someone can admit it!

I don't think either side was doggie paddling very well, The only one's that won (once again) was management! (As usual!) Have Dougie have another one(on his Employees!) BUNCH OF CROOKED B#$@%(*&!!!
KBB

But neither side will admit they were working for a failed enterprise and the merger was the only thing that saved both.
Why you refer to AWA pre-merger as a "failed enterprise" is beyond me. It was solvent and expected to remain solvent while USAir was in bankruptcy with no DIP financing and no plan of reorganization and not expected to last more than a few days or weeks. How can you equate the two?

I am very much a realist and have no problem accepting that AWA could've had solvency issues further down the road but that's not relevant. What was very relevant to Nicolau was that AWA was hiring and USAir was furloughing and that affected both sides' career expectations on the snapshot date.

The salient point for pilots east and west is, like the no furlough clause, it would seem that no "job protection" contract language is worth the paper it's written on. Minimum block hours were established and agreed upon, the company purposely failed to comply while at the same time furloughing pilots, and apparently they have gotten off with what barely even qualifies as a slap on the wrist.

WOW you are either completely uninformed or a flame baiter. AWA was hiring about 200 the year that they bought USAir. They were getting airplanes....the 200 newhires were going to crew those planes.

How do I know this?....I was in indoc when the buyout was announced. We were told that all planned hiring was therefore suspended. Just 5 days before the CP and DP was telling us about growth and hiring, then all of a sudden nothing.

Was AWA an industry powerhouse?....No of course, BUT they were hiring, accepting planes, growing and making money. I would not have left a good job to go to AWA if they were losing money and shrinking.

I think you need to relearn you history.

Spot on MD. I was at the 9 month mark when the $hit hit the news and was counting on one more class to go through to get me off of reserve.

This guys a total flammer. The youngest guy on the west is in his thirties.

Denny,

Wow what a refreshing post. Please be careful though TWA will brand you a USAPA apologist and then keep going and going and going like the Rabbit with the batteries.

The whole situation is sad.

I can see United and Continental pilots going down the same road......

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back