Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir East West NIC Award Resolution? Very soon!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Kirby, if we were ever stupid enough to ask for it, was to be paid for with all the reductions in QOL. and the loss in other benefits.
They were hoping for the shortsighted to jump at a pay rate and not look into anything else. The majority of West pilots would vote for anything that gave them the NIC, so it almost worked.
I cant believe that even with hind site some are still advocating that piece of garbage. Once you give up work rules and benefits that took decades to get, you will never get them back.
I'll give you $5 cash for that $20 credit card... Sounds like a great deal to me.

Kirby, if we were ever stupid enough to ask for it, was to be paid for with all the reductions in QOL. and the loss in other benefits.
They were hoping for the shortsighted to jump at a pay rate and not look into anything else. The majority of West pilots would vote for anything that gave them the NIC, so it almost worked.
I cant believe that even with hind site some are still advocating that piece of garbage. Once you give up work rules and benefits that took decades to get, you will never get them back.
I'll give you $5 cash for that $20 credit card... Sounds like a great deal to me.

And there you have it Ladies & Gentlemen: EMOTION vs. LOGIC. The KP was / is essentially the AWA contract with an increase of 3-11% (above the AWA wage).

Here are your "losses" in quality of life:
  • 31 DAYS OF VACATION (MAXIMUM)
  • FULL PAY MECHANICAL
  • FULL PAY DEADHEAD
  • FULL PAY CANCELLATION
  • DUTY & RIG IMPROVEMENTS (5:15 A DAY FOR EACH 24 HOUR PERIOD SITTING)
  • PAY INCREASE
  • 401K INCREASE
  • CONTINUED PROFIT SHARING (If you brain surgeons would STOP burning two engines and the APU as much as you do, it would be an amazing improvement). Even with the limited participation this year will be the BEST ever!
  • YOU WOULD BE PAYING LESS FOR MEDICAL COST INCREASES THAN YOU ARE RIGHT NOW (mine went up only a couple of bucks).
I'll bet a beer that you haven't actually even read the KP details, or for that matter know where to find it. Further, IF you took the time to read it...you STILL wouldn't get it.

Hang in there buddy! You've got us right where we want you! Voting in the Nic has NOTHING to do with it. The Nicolau seniority list is the ONLY LEGAL LIST that all parties agreed to. Changing your name & persecuting the west pilots have only bought you delay. Money that you will never see, because it's all in LCC's pocket. Dug says THANKS!

Waste of time.... Like posting here is going to win something, anything. Change someone's mind.... Waste of time..... Move on.....

Yea, you got it brother. USAPA's legal team has them on the run! USAPA's legal wins demonstrate that they are the champions! There is no way the LCC could possibly have better legal advice (or Leonidas). :D

It's all ALPA's fault. It's all Nicolau's fault. It's all the Westies fault. It's all the company's fault. It's all the NMB's fault. It's always someone else's fault.

Clues: It's your fault & the fault of your previous company(s).

Both East and West are equally responsible for this status quo.

East values maintaining seniority and attrition over QOL.

East values maintaining seniority and attrition over QOL.
Right......

The West played by the rules and trusted the other two parties would do the same. THAT'S what the West is guilty of. Won't EVER happen again.

No, ALPA is largely responsible for this status quo by not completing their responsibility and merging the 2 MECs and signing a joint contract in lieu of membership ratification. They thought they could keep the dues from US if they leaned on the west to negotiate against themselves after the award came out.

You can see how that went.

Binding or not, the Nic award was unfair and, as Just Silver recently made clear, Nic is not binding.

Both pilot groups were disingenuous and had an all or nothing mentality—this is where both parties went wrong.

West ALPA started the process of drafting an MOU to the Nic award when they saw that USAPA was being created. WALPA should have immediately drafted that MOU when Nic was awarded to avoid today's status quo.

Blow back is especially brutal in this case to all parties.

Last edited:
Binding or not, the Nic award was unfair and, as Just Silver recently made clear, Nic is not binding.

Both pilot groups were disingenuous and had an all or nothing mentality—this is where both parties went wrong.

West ALPA started the process of drafting an MOU to the Nic award when they saw that USAPA was being created. WALPA should have immediately drafted that MOU when Nic was awarded to avoid today's status quo.

Blow back is especially brutal in this case to all parties.
You have absolutely NO IDEA what you're talking about. Silver was very careful to say that the Nic wasn't binding ONLY if USAPA could identify a legitimate union purpose to do so. A purpose that would survive a trial. Guess what? They don't have one. Never did....and a jury already shoved their claimed "legitimate" purpose straight up their asses. Who are you to arbitrarily decide the "fairness" of the Nic award? You're a NOBODY. We're you there for the months of testimony? No. Are you an experienced Lawyer? No. Are you an arbitrator? No. Nothing.

Every Federal Judge has pinned the Nic on USAPA. USAPA plays stupid. They don't care if they go BK in court because USAPA knows damn well their days are numbered no matter what. They just want to get something ratified because they are under the very mistaken idea that will solidify DOH.

I could go on and on correcting your completely clueless ass but ill just leave you with the very good advice to simply STFU about things you have no understanding of.

West ALPA started the process of drafting an MOU to the Nic award when they saw that USAPA was being created.
They did no such thing. They did quite the opposite and refused to negotiate against themselves and buckle under to the demands of the east.

It was never about fairness, it was always about the east having sufficient votes to get their way, even if they didn't know what to do with it once they got it.

Latest resources

Back