• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAir & AMR merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The primary driver behind airline mergers is return on investment for the financial entities who put up the money to make the thing happen. It has little to do with Parker, or route structures, hubs,fleets, employees, USAPA, the Nic, or anything else connected with actual present or future airline operations. What the resulting carrier would look like and whether it would be long-term viable, or good/bad for the employees, is beside the point. If the numbers look good enough, they will make it happen.

I doubt that. There are 80 CA positions on the 190. All but about the bottom 10 or so are top of scale of over $100/hr. I think there is about a 6 or 7 dollar per hour difference. The West contract is not so much better as to overcome that difference...

That's great, an east 190 CA makes what a west 320 FO makes. I'd say both are underpaid. The 190 guy by at least $20 hr and the west FO by at least $10 hr. You make more, I make more.......WE BOTH MAKE CR@P!

That's great, an east 190 CA makes what a west 320 FO makes. I'd say both are underpaid. The 190 guy by at least $20 hr and the west FO by at least $10 hr. You make more, I make more.......WE BOTH MAKE CR@P!

I would put this number closer to $40 an hour.

I would put this number closer to $40 an hour.

You're both off by a bit. If there had been no furloughs AND the East division had accepted the Nicolau Seniority list, AND we were working under the existing AWA Contract 2004 (in other words no wage improvement)....here is what Dave O'Dell (most junior AWA pilot at the time of the merger) would get:

EMB190 Captain @ 6 years (Transition Agreement): $89.28
Narrow Body FO @ 6 years (AWA C2004): $84.98
A difference of $ 4.30

The most junior US Air pilot E. Varini (DOH 8/2004) whould be more like 4-5 years LOS because he/she was furloughed at the time of the merger and would not have been called back until 2007 or so.

The primary driver behind airline mergers is return on investment for the financial entities who put up the money to make the thing happen. It has little to do with Parker, or route structures, hubs,fleets, employees, USAPA, the Nic, or anything else connected with actual present or future airline operations. What the resulting carrier would look like and whether it would be long-term viable, or good/bad for the employees, is beside the point. If the numbers look good enough, they will make it happen.

I agree. It has to make financial sense first.

You're both off by a bit. If there had been no furloughs AND the East division had accepted the Nicolau Seniority list, AND we were working under the existing AWA Contract 2004 (in other words no wage improvement)....here is what Dave O'Dell (most junior AWA pilot at the time of the merger) would get:

EMB190 Captain @ 6 years (Transition Agreement): $89.28
Narrow Body FO @ 6 years (AWA C2004): $84.98
A difference of $ 4.30

The most junior US Air pilot E. Varini (DOH 8/2004) whould be more like 4-5 years LOS because he/she was furloughed at the time of the merger and would not have been called back until 2007 or so.

I thought the comments by hpilot were pretty accurate - we all need a raise - but then you have to bring in the Nic and west vs east again.

If you haven't figured it out by now Cactus B - Team Tempe aren't going to offer us anything until it benefits their own pockets also regardless of the Nic or anything else you like to point out.

Metrojet

I thought the comments by hpilot were pretty accurate - we all need a raise - but then you have to bring in the Nic and west vs east again.

If you haven't figured it out by now Cactus B - Team Tempe aren't going to offer us anything until it benefits their own pockets also regardless of the Nic or anything else you like to point out.

Metrojet

I guess we wait until the masses has had enough. Until that time, we stay status quo (that includes Mike Cleary @ > $13,000 per month FPL).

Voters have a chance to vote in a new president that REALLY wants a new contract (versus endless delay, because that is all that is left). Millions of dollars in lost wages, 401K payments, vacation days, other time off and contract improvements.

The question is when will the participants say "ENOUGH!".

Latest resources

Back