• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought Skiles' response was even better:

"Actually not."

Great composure, I think.

Agreed. Both pilots were sharp and professional. Consider if one of them was that toolbox (we've all flown with) that thinks he is cool and professional but is actually a poor pilot....

The outcome could have been different...

The problem is... all the weak pilots out there that think they are the greatest are using false consciousness to reassure themselves that they can be a Sully or Skiles on any given day.

The real professional pilots out there are considering how they would handle such a situation and taking action, whatever it might be, to improve their skillset.

Agreed. Both pilots were sharp and professional. Consider if one of them was that toolbox (we've all flown with) that thinks he is cool and professional but is actually a poor pilot....

The outcome could have been different...

Yes, suppose one of them instinctively knew they were too slow for an unassisted air restart and at least tried something that may have worked, like opening the APU bleed to assist in a restart. Or advancing both thrust levers to TOGA to see if either engine could produce more than the IDLE that they were set to.

The outcome could have been different.

Sully did a fine job with what he had, no argument. Skiles was in over his head, disappointing considering he is a former Capt.

In their defense however, when it became apparent they were committed to an off airport landing, they did not allow themselves to be distracted from flying the airplane. I'm just not convinced (from my interpretation of the CVR data released by the NTSB-my only source of info) it necessarily needed to be an off-airport landing.

The CVR transcript shows them following the checklist that would call for thrust levers to be at idle for a restart. They never mention pushing them up.

Latest resources

Back