USAF Academy or ROTC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm a AFROTC guy here's my .02.
AFA: Great school/education. In the ranks with Ivy league schools; tough to get into. Life long friends made, perhaps. Better chance at a UPT slot. Better prepared for maybe the first month on active duty. As many have said, it's very regimented and restricted from many "normal" college stuff. No exposure to variety of decsent looking women, atleast while on campus.
AFROTC: Just have to put up with the military crap for 1-3 days a week. Have a normal college life. Way more opportunites to party like a rock star. More women (good lookin') to choose from. Tougher to get a UPT slot; sometimes only a couple slots per class. Not too much exposure to the military; this could be good or bad. I sure liked this aspect. More variety of majors to choose from. Bottome line...FREEDOM! And yes, you too can make life long friends in a regular college; perhaps even a few good looking girl friends.

Bottom line: It doesn't matter what your source of commissioning is when you enter UPT. Although it helps alot to have a technical degree for getting your foot in the door, it definitely does not help in UPT (ok, maybe a tiny bit). Having some flying time in bugsmashers help, IMO, atleast in the T-37/T-6 phase. By the time we hit T-38s, everyone was at an even playing field for the most part. As for succeeding in UPT.... know your stuff, listen/do what your IP(s) has to say, have a good attitude, help those struggling, party like a rock star on the weekends, and pray for a good drop (assignment).

Fighter vs. Targets (I flew Targets by choice):
Fighters: Only a few ever get to strap into a fighter and go balls crazy; it's a chance of a lifetime, if you are willing and able. Most of the time (not everytime), top graduates get fighters, but timing is everything. Ability to tell chicks that you are a fighter pilot ;-). Tend to work longer hours in the office. Fun begins in the air. Mission planning for many hours to fly a 1.2 sortie and long briefings. Long rotations to the sand box. Low flight hours but excellent quality time.
Heavies: See the world. Less time in the office. Accrue more flight hours, many times from the bunk. Less time for mission planning (what's mission planning???). Buy lots of stuff from all over the world and bring them home with you. Party like a rock star in lots of different countries. No deployments (C-xx types, atleast when I was in) to the sand box. Lot's of opportunities to get tax free without spending the night in the Middle East. Boring flying, majority of the time. Fun begins when you land. Flying with a few dorks with inferiority complex towards fighter guys ("I should have gotten a fighter, but......" types), but majority of them are good dudes/dudettes; no offense to my heavy bros, but you know who I'm talking about.

I'm a High School student in the process of applying for USAFA and/or ROTC at ERAU and I'm inquiring as to which would be considered the best approach given the goal of attending UPT and (hopefully) qualifying for a fighter assignment.
Seven years ago. So what did you do?

Pretty much any AFA grad who can fog a mirror will go to UPT.
Up until about 1992 this was the case. Get into USAFA, min run the program, go to UPT if you pass the physical. However,
We had limited UPT slots in '95. USAFA got 225 for about 700 dudes and ROTC got 100 slots....nationwide.
Do you know if this is still the case? USAFA gets limited slots?

One thing not mentioned here for folks considering what to do in 2014--the civilian route. If you don't get a guard-sponsored UPT slot then you could get assigned a drone out of UPT, not any manned aircraft at all, much less a fighter. Now you've got to start flying civilian to get the time to go to the majors, if that's the ultimate goal.

Last edited:
The road taken is up to you...the destination is worth the trouble.

You can, however, make it from ROTC or OTS side. The Academy bros I know, including Magnum, are world class. I always thought they were that way IN SPITE the AFA (just kidding).

As for the Auburn language barrier...well...there were a LOT of times..especially summer quarter...when after a walk around Haley Center I was SPEECHLESS. Anyone who's been to the campus and seen so many beautiful girls in one place understands the phenonmen....

Amen to that! Walking around Haley Center would make any young man (or old man) speechless - it's an incredible place that no other school can match.

War Eagle,
Auburn AFROTC grad, '04

I'm a High School student in the process of applying for USAFA and/or ROTC at ERAU and I'm inquiring as to which would be considered the best approach given the goal of attending UPT and (hopefully) qualifying for a fighter assignment. The following are my thoughts (dilemmas), please comment with your perspectives and ideas.

1. USAFA receives the same number of UPT assignments as ROTC, however ROTC has a much higher number of cadets so the numbers work in favor of USAFA. However, with that, being a USAFA cadet tends to place you in a more competitive arena for those precious slots than ROTC(?). Is anyone aware of the stats asscociated with the number of candidates vs. the number of selectees in both institutions or where I could find them?

2. Conversely, if I were to attend ERAU, I would be an Aero. Science major which I feel would make me more competent (and competitive) as a pilot candidate entering into UPT. With the dual track system currently in place, I'm told it doesn't leave much time to 'catch up' like in the old days (4-5 months to track?). No disrespect, but USAFA seems to spend a great deal of time in engineering and military sciences courses at the expense of what ERAU focuses on, which is flying. Is there an advantage that I'm unaware of to attending USAFA?

My ultimate goal is, and always has been, to fly a fighter in the USAF. Although cost would be a consideration, it is secondary to this discussion (ROTC doesn't pay for flight courses).

In a nutshell, it boils down to this: one choice appears to make UPT more of a certainty, the other makes the fighter track more certain. Am I seeing this correctly? Obviously I'm willing to do whatever it takes to maximize my chances, I just need to determine what avenue to take. Before I finish, I fully understand that you're an officer first, and it would be an honor to serve as an officer in the AF...but even moreso as a fighter pilot.

Your thoughts, insights, and experience are most welcome.

Respectfully,

C2

Join a guard or reserve unit. Do NOT go active duty! You will be guaranteed a pilot slot flying an actual aircraft and not a drone. My 2 cents.

Because ANG and Reserve units never change aircraft, and they especially don't convert to RPAs.
Don't know if that is completely true, the A-10 unit here in Mich was slated to go the drones after the A-10 were cut, but that has been put on hold with the A-10 rescue.

Ancient history now, but I had appointments to the USAFA and an AFROTC scholarship offer to an engineering school in NY. I chose the latter and never had one regret. Spent over 21 years in the USAF, flying my whole career and retiring as an O-5. The retirement check is a nice supplement to my airline pay.
Ironically, I did spend a 4 year assignment to the USAFA as an assistant prof and flying the DHC-6 part time.
Times have changed so your decision process is likely to be very different than mine back in the day.

Good luck.

Finding yourself in a fighter is more about you than Riddle or Academy. If you have the skill and the dedication, you will achive your goal regardless of the school.

Some women you might find at a liberal arts college will have way sleeker lines than any jet. I say ROTC somewhere warm!

While we are at it, USAF? what about USMC, if I am going to war, I want the badest mofos in town next to me. Plus the USMC guys are way more fun to drink a beer with.

As far as I know, the USMC also guantees a flight slot.

Latest resources

Back