• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USAA Opens Doors to All Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Been with them 43 years, not the cheapest, but tops in service.

I've used them since I turned 16 in 1990 and started driving. Car and renters ins. for me. Never had a claim but I feel their service since 2001 or so has been slipping. 3 month ago I changed my renter ins. because i was moving. I wanted the existing account money credited to my car ins. The whole time I'm on the phone with the USAA agent he kept trying to sell me more/additional coverage. I could tell he wasn't listening to me wrt what i wanted my account balance applied to so I made him stop selling and repeat to me what I (the customer) requested. He did but still screwed it up as I got a check for the remainder of the account balance a few weeks later (not applied to my car ins.). Not a biggie but still.

Another slip was back in 2001 when I moved from my parents house to SYR. I picked up renters ins from USAA. A few months later my mom (back at the home she has been in and insured by USAA since 1980) is wondering where the home owners ins bill is that has come at the same time every year since 1980. Just so happens that USAA cx her home owners policy thinking I was her and move to SYR. Same last name (also same initials) but diff accounts.

To their credit my moms house has had 2 lightening strikes and a tree in the pool from a hurricane and one from our property onto the neighbors SUV (totaled) and USAA has always paid without hassel.

Good for USAA to include all enlisted. It's past due.

For the statement "The military wouldn't operate without the enlisted personal." Sounds elitist to me.

Reminds be of "We couldn't live with out the servants"

As for the who got drunk or acted childish, I remember when a large group of officers were all transfered because their wife swapping club got out of hand or when my CO came home with the clap and then lived in the parking lot in a RV for a year.... Of course that would not raise their car insurance.......

Dumba$$e$ are Dumba$$es regardless of the rank. That being said, I'm sure the facts are written somewhere on why they've increased in cost and the facts are the facts. Not saying I know, but I'm sure everyone here is financially savvy.

WOW! Looks like I stirred a hornets nest here. Remember, the discussion was about auto insurance and risk. The numbers speaks volumes. The rates at USAA have gone up in recent years. Still the best. Just saying.

Insurance and risk..... I have had the same insurance for 30 years. It has risen steady the entire time. Maybe the cost has risen because that $500 fender bender now costs $2000 to $5000 to fix and the $5000 car is now $25,000.

Or maybe they just insure more enlisted personnel.

The discussion wasn't about enlisted guys screwing up everything. It was about added insurance cost due to increased risk. My opinion (in regards to risk) is based on my experiences picking up my young soldiers from local police and MP stations in the middle of the night because they went out and did something stupid. Something I doubt you have any experience with.

The military wouldn't operate without the enlisted personal. I started out there myself and have the utmost respect for their service. Something else I doubt you have any experience with.

I am a 17 year vet. And an E. And an 11 year USAA member who has held up my end of the bargain, risk wise. Earlier in my career I spent many lovely evenings hauling drunk "personal" (O's and E's) out of gutters and then testifying against them at NJP. At my current command, the last three DUI's have been E-3, O-3, and E-9.

Any other doubts you need to have cleared up? Oh, and insurance 101 generally dictates that a larger risk pool is a better one. Junior E's are a better risk than their civilian equivalents.

Now my attention has been drawn to LearLoves post.........I didn't know that pools and SYR can be used in the same sentence..........
With USAA now letting E1-E4 in, is it really more risk? My two year old son can carry USAA for the rest of his life and never join the military......he could end up a thug/gangsta at 18 years old too.
Isnt it the 3 star's son that is the kid that's runn'in wild and smoking in the boys room and street racing with USAA car insurance.
USAA is tops in service, not in price. I come from the school of thought, "you get what you pay for."
I'll stay with USAA and crack heads, bail jumpers and MESA guys can have 1-800-Safe Auto

I am a 17 year vet. And an E. And an 11 year USAA member who has held up my end of the bargain, risk wise. Earlier in my career I spent many lovely evenings hauling drunk "personal" (O's and E's) out of gutters and then testifying against them at NJP. At my current command, the last three DUI's have been E-3, O-3, and E-9.

Any other doubts you need to have cleared up? Oh, and insurance 101 generally dictates that a larger risk pool is a better one. Junior E's are a better risk than their civilian equivalents.

So by your math 33% of DUI's in the DOD are from Officers, I'd challenge you to back that up with bigger numbers than your personal experience.

So by your math 33% of DUI's in the DOD are from Officers, I'd challenge you to back that up with bigger numbers than your personal experience.

At my current command, taken as a straight percentage, for the year 2009 so far, the numbers do not indicate that O's are any less likely to have an alcohol-related incident(including DUI) than junior enlisted personnel. How you inferred that I was speaking to DOD numbers overall, I have no idea, but feel free to stuff more words in my mouth. I will be happy to refute those as well.

To the original point, USAA has been around a long time and I'll wager they are pretty smart about actuarial science, more so than any knuckleheads posting on flight info. They wouldn't have admitted those pesky and reckless junior E's unless it was a good business move.

Latest resources

Back