USA TODAY: Southwest Beating Republic to Frontier

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

From what I understand, the McCaskill-Bond legislation applies if two organization's employees are combined. It doesn't matter if it is a merger or a buyout, or any other term you have for combining two employee groups.

If one pilot/employee group feels that the integration is not fair, they can ask for a moderator, and the moderator will make the final decision (unless you are the USAir/AWA East pilot group, and then you sue after you don't agree with the moderator's decision, either).

cliff
NBO

LUV would send a horrific blow to United..... along with every company who fly's for them. Good or bad I have no idea anymore. When did Southwest become the good guy?

UAL actually wins in this deal. They get rid of one competitor out of DEN without spending a dime! Pricing will actually improve for them since you won't have F9 to muddy the waters with their bankruptcy sales.

1 competitor out of DEN is better than 2.

Hi!

From what I understand, the McCaskill-Bond legislation applies if two organization's employees are combined. It doesn't matter if it is a merger or a buyout, or any other term you have for combining two employee groups.

If one pilot/employee group feels that the integration is not fair, they can ask for a moderator, and the moderator will make the final decision (unless you are the USAir/AWA East pilot group, and then you sue after you don't agree with the moderator's decision, either).

cliff
NBO
Thanks Cliff, this was my original understanding but was not sure about the wording on merger vs. buyout. Ill have to find a copy of this bill, this could mean everything to the F9 pilots.

First of all SWA did not buy MORSE AIR. Its MORRIS AIR ( Founded by June Morris and David Neelman in 92). Get your facts straight. And Morris Air had 737-300's. My father was a pilot with Morris Air during the SWA buyout. And I'm sure Citrus guys would love a buyout from SWA.....My old man is now a very senior Capt. with SWA.

Morris Air/Morse Air--I stand corrected on spelling--result is the same!
Morris Air operated 737-300. Correct

If your Father was a Captain with Morris Air, like other Morris Air Pilots that were hired, he was hired as a new hire. However, Captains' pay rates were frozen at Morris Air Rates until the Southwest rates caught up. I am not sure how Morris Air F/O's rates were handled. Morris Air was started in 1992, and Southwest made their offer in 1993. However, the sale was not consumated until 1994.

If your Father's seniority date was 1993, or more likely 1994 at the sale completion, then he has been at Southwest for about 15 years. He may be senior, depending on his base, but based on their seniority list, claiming that he is "very senior" may be a stretch. But, how it's characterized matters only to you.

Facts now corrected--Not much change in substance.

You seem pretty sure of yourself. Do you know something GK doesn't know? I don't know what you mean by 2 non-union carriers, they both have unions. The law was not an ALPA law if that is what you mean. It is possible if GK decides to keep them permanently separate that there will be no integration but as far as I know he has not said anything like that publicly, maybe he only told you. He has said that he will phase out the airbus, that is obvious but that does not mean he will phase out the crews.

To answer your question, I don't know GK, and never claimed I did. I'll cut to the chase. The acquisition will not be a merger. Furthermore, the two companies will not be operated separately long term--it's not efficient. The purpose of the acquisition is to gain prime gate access on the A Terminal, and to gain a strong local market share. It results in reducing competition, gaining market share, and pricing control. Anyone with average intelligence can figure that one out without knowing GK.

We can finally agree--the airbus will be phased out. Based on previous history, and you, of all people should know, most of the Frontier pilots will be offered employment, and most likely under the same conditions that your Father was. They will be at the bottom of the Southwest list, and will probably be at the Frontier rates, until the Southwest rates for their Southwest hire date surpass the Frontier rates.

Southwest pilots will speak to this issue at the appropriate time. I can assure you, if their position has not been formulated, it is being crafted now. If necessary, they will argue past practice be followed. In addition, a strong case for the career expectation argument can be made. Frontier pilots have a bleak career expectation without an acquisition. Southwest pilots are a part of the acquiring company, and we all know with some certainty, they have strong career expectations. Bottom line--it's a seniority issue as all acquisitions and/or mergers pose. MY money is on the Southwest pilots and past practice. Unfortunately for the Frontier pilots, they have NO leverage and an offer at the bottom of the SWA list is their best hope.

Just curious, are you a Frontier pilot and the son of a SWA pilot?

As far as GK, by law, he cannot make any such statements at this time. In addition, the bid has not been awarded by the Bankruptcy Judge. However, Southwest will not be out bid on this sale in the end. You can take that one to the bank!

Hi!

Re-Co-la

Last edited:
This might have been what BB wanted all along. SW buys F9, pays back the $150 million that is owed to RAH. USAIR is trying to get rid of 25 190's. How many 190's will BB be able to get for $150 million plus the $100 million he was going to use to buy F9. Things might actually work if BB can run the entire Midwest operation with no airplane payments. From what I have heard and read, the ACA operation would have worked if they didn't have huge lease payments and gas wasn't so expensive. Two things BB would have going for hime.

A fleet of paid for 190's and cheap labor flying the planes and the Midwest operation will most likely work. I understand there is a bit of competition in MKE and Kansis City, however with cost that low BB can do a lot of damage in a small niche market in the Midwest. The only real competition in those business markets would then be Airtran and RAH could easily compete with no plane payments and cheap azz labor. Just my $.02 of course.

Latest resources

Back