• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA Today: Concerns arise over regional airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Money doesnt have little to do with the fact that guys are getting stupid due to fatigue and lack of experience. Pax dont give a crap of what you're making, they only care to get good & safe service.
Hell! Everytime I jumpseat the last thing I want to see is both pilots up front not complaining and crying about how "little" money they make, and how they could make more a as a Burger King manager, mean while they're Vref+30 and 1 dot high on the f****** glide slope.
One thing thing at a time my friend.

Dear God I hope that was intentional.

W

The real problem that should be addressed is the the airlines hiring 200-500tt hour pilots to fly airliners at the regionals. I would rather have an experienced tired pilot than an inexperienced low time fully awake pilot at the controls. JMHO
I completely disagree with this. Regardless of the experience of the pilot, I would always choose the one who is awake to fly me around.

Just like the Captain who used to tell all of his new F/O's that they had better not let him wake up to catch them sleeping.

I completely disagree with this. Regardless of the experience of the pilot, I would always choose the one who is awake to fly me around.

I disagree because experience of the pilot is directly related to you making it to your destination safely. I didn't say an asleep pilot i said a tired experienced pilot. Its a moot point, both items need to be addressed and are both = as important of an issue. ;)

What the FAA should say:

Any pilot who excuses him/herself from duty due to illness or fatigue is immune from discipline by their respective company and/or those entities with operational control over the flight.

It'll never happen, since the FAA has to both promote and regulate the aviation industry. But it is that dichotomy which is the ultimate cause of much of the danger present in our business.

Just like the Captain who used to tell all of his new F/O's that they had better not let him wake up to catch them sleeping.

What's wrong with that? It is bad when you wake up and find out they're asleep.

What the FAA should say:

Any pilot who excuses him/herself from duty due to illness or fatigue is immune from discipline by their respective company and/or those entities with operational control over the flight.

It'll never happen, since the FAA has to both promote and regulate the aviation industry. But it is that dichotomy which is the ultimate cause of much of the danger present in our business.

Here's what the FAA actually says:

"A certificate holder has the right to establish an attendance program as part of running its business". That's what they said about ASA's "occurrence" program when the union dropped a dime about pilots being intimidated for calling in sick.

what the hell is an "occurence?" there is nothing in writing from the company that explains it. I think it's a Bravo Sierra program and until they start providing employees with info, they should all be erased.

Latest resources

Back