• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA reporting AF landed long...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Even if the Air France did land long, it still doesn't give us a cause for the accident. USA today may as well have reported that the cause of the accident was that they didn't stop soon enough! The question is why did they land long. If it was another SWA in Burbank thing, then we're getting somewhere, but if they were on profile, flying a normal, stabilized approach then had some kind of a gust situation that caused them to float an unusual distance, that would be more useful information. For me, the bottom line is: let the CTSB investigate, and avoid uninformed speculation.

Bluto said:
Even if the Air France did land long, it still doesn't give us a cause for the accident. USA today may as well have reported that the cause of the accident was that they didn't stop soon enough! The question is why did they land long. If it was another SWA in Burbank thing, then we're getting somewhere, but if they were on profile, flying a normal, stabilized approach then had some kind of a gust situation that caused them to float an unusual distance, that would be more useful information. For me, the bottom line is: let the CTSB investigate, and avoid uninformed speculation.

In general and not specific to AF in YYZ.....

Also keeping in mind the requirement to land within the touchdown zone... gust or not... the guy in control of the ship....the aviator... shall place the aircraft within the touchdown zone.... (anyone know the FAR?)

segway to the mind set of trying to get smooth landing by keeping thrust/power on the aircraft, when in fact a solid landing (not hard!) is better around the 1000ft marker. This places the weight of the aircraft off the wings sooner and onto the brakes and TR to get it stopped...

Extra thrust and floaters are for grandmas and Fat Bahstard..... a firm but comfortable touchdown between the 1000-1500 feet marker is for pilots.

Now...what happened in YYZ? Yes, let's wait for all the facts.....

Last edited:
The public needs to realize that a good landing is one at the 1000 to 1500 foot mark requardless of the impact. If one lands 1000 feet down the runway and it is a greaser then I guess the captain or fo is entitled to enjoy the atttaboys from the pax, anything else and the pax are being spun.

The thhing that gets me is the one who is saying that it could not have anything to do with windshear because that only effects you in flight. There are still a ton of possibilities here, extra airspeed, gusts, crosswind component changing etc.

Latest resources

Back