• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

USA reporting AF landed long...

Bluto

Total Time
>4000
Even if the Air France did land long, it still doesn't give us a cause for the accident. USA today may as well have reported that the cause of the accident was that they didn't stop soon enough! The question is why did they land long. If it was another SWA in Burbank thing, then we're getting somewhere, but if they were on profile, flying a normal, stabilized approach then had some kind of a gust situation that caused them to float an unusual distance, that would be more useful information. For me, the bottom line is: let the CTSB investigate, and avoid uninformed speculation.

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
Total Time
X>X
Bluto said:
Even if the Air France did land long, it still doesn't give us a cause for the accident. USA today may as well have reported that the cause of the accident was that they didn't stop soon enough! The question is why did they land long. If it was another SWA in Burbank thing, then we're getting somewhere, but if they were on profile, flying a normal, stabilized approach then had some kind of a gust situation that caused them to float an unusual distance, that would be more useful information. For me, the bottom line is: let the CTSB investigate, and avoid uninformed speculation.

In general and not specific to AF in YYZ.....

Also keeping in mind the requirement to land within the touchdown zone... gust or not... the guy in control of the ship....the aviator... shall place the aircraft within the touchdown zone.... (anyone know the FAR?)

segway to the mind set of trying to get smooth landing by keeping thrust/power on the aircraft, when in fact a solid landing (not hard!) is better around the 1000ft marker. This places the weight of the aircraft off the wings sooner and onto the brakes and TR to get it stopped...

Extra thrust and floaters are for grandmas and Fat Bahstard..... a firm but comfortable touchdown between the 1000-1500 feet marker is for pilots.

Now...what happened in YYZ? Yes, let's wait for all the facts.....

Last edited:

TurboS7

Total Time
The public needs to realize that a good landing is one at the 1000 to 1500 foot mark requardless of the impact. If one lands 1000 feet down the runway and it is a greaser then I guess the captain or fo is entitled to enjoy the atttaboys from the pax, anything else and the pax are being spun.

P-Dawg_QX

Registered Offender
Total Time
3000+
Bluto said:
...avoid uninformed speculation.
But then what would the media write about? The newspapers would be just a bunch of blank pages! :rolleyes:

MTpilot

Total Time
Your avatar is evil, make it stop.

Publishers

Total Time
The thhing that gets me is the one who is saying that it could not have anything to do with windshear because that only effects you in flight. There are still a ton of possibilities here, extra airspeed, gusts, crosswind component changing etc.

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Total Time
enough
That is the most disturbing avatar -- make that picture, period -- I have ever seen.

Please make it stop.

P-Dawg_QX

Registered Offender
Total Time
3000+
Ailerongirl said:
OMG!

Firstly...your avatar is creepy!

Secondly....I do hope your 'I <3 crew scheduling' is meant in jest! (Unless you're a scheduler!)

:D

Firstly...thank you. I saw that pic a couple days ago, and decided it would make a lovely avatar. I'm glad you're enjoying it. ;)

Secondly...of course it's meant in jest. When was the last time you met a pilot who didn't shudder when they heard the eerie words, "crew scheduling"?

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
Total Time
+1500
Yea no sh1t the airplane landed long... it braked long too... :D

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
TurboS7 said:
The public needs to realize that a good landing is one at the 1000 to 1500 foot mark requardless of the impact. If one lands 1000 feet down the runway and it is a greaser then I guess the captain or fo is entitled to enjoy the atttaboys from the pax, anything else and the pax are being spun.
I would think that analogy would only be valid if there wasn't an excedence of a tailwind or runway condition limitation or landing distance computation.

publishers said:
The thhing that gets me is the one who is saying that it could not have anything to do with windshear because that only effects you in flight. There are still a ton of possibilities here, extra airspeed, gusts, crosswind component changing etc.
Why couldn't it be windshear, if your head wind shears to a tailwind at the surface, it will still affect your landing distance. Even if the windshear was a complete surprise...it still affects the plane.

mar

Remember this one?
Total Time
Did I miss it?

Did someone already state the length of the runway?

To me, that's relevant.

inthewind

When will spring be here?
Total Time
6300+
There could ba a lot more to this story than we know. At least one of the pax said that all of the lights went out just before landing. What if they were hit by lightning? In the Dork jet we had one get hit by lightning and they lost all of the screens. What if frenchie was trying to fly off the peanut gyro in an electric jet that was not operating correctly because it had been hit by lightning? If I'm VMC below the clouds, can see the runway and know that my plane has a problem i'm probably gonna land and do my damnest to get it stopped rather than take a broke electric jet back up into some nasty weather. I'm not defending frenchie's stupid decision to begin the approach but just giving a what if scenario that might have led to him comtinuing the farcked up landing.

FracCapt

Clown punchers, unite!
Total Time
18+yrs
mar said:
Did someone already state the length of the runway?

To me, that's relevant.

Runway lengths at CYYZ vary from 9,000' to 11,120'. There are 5 runways.