• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA Jet Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would he go left seat Falcon to right seat DC 9? Pay? schedules?

Your going to ask him that to get a answer from the horses mouth. Everyone has their own reasons for doing what they do.

Insurance requires time in type to upgrade in the DC-9. I don't think you can go from DA-20 Capt to DC-9 Capt with no time in type. But I could be wrong.

You do get 2 more days off per bid period on the DC-9. That might have something to do with it too since some people have a family at the house.

Maybe he thought the DC-9 time would look good on his resume. Cliff why did you do it?

Some people give me a hard time for bypassing a DC-9 FO bid to stay in the right seat of the DA-20. I did it because I think I will be a stronger Captain in the Falcon when I do upgrade. Also, do to seat locks that some other guys took when they went to the DC-9 it might expedite my upgrade. Either way my plan seems to be working. I was in instructor class last week which is something that I wanted to be involved with when I was hired here. So far my plan is working. My point.... everyone has their own motivation for what they do in this career.

Last edited:
forgot to ask, how has the pay changed? Other than the 2nd year f/o pay from day one. Thanks-kingaira90

Basically the increase in pay has come with new contract flying. Without getting into specific contracts, it boils down to an extra $150 dollars per day in wait time and a "no-fly" mileage guarantee. PM me if you want specifics.

Basically the increase in pay has come with new contract flying. Without getting into specific contracts, it boils down to an extra $150 dollars per day in wait time and a "no-fly" mileage guarantee. PM me if you want specifics.
Good for you guys! -kingaira90

Why. because?

Cliff gets to take his DA-20 Capt.’s pay to the right seat of the DC-9, it is an incentive given to pilots hired before 3-31-03 to stay in the DA-20 as Capt. for at least 2 years. He now has to have 100 hrs DC-9 time in order to bid the DC-9 Capt. seat. He will be in seniority by early next year. So that is why a guy would go from the DA-20 Capt. to the DC-9 F/O. We had pilots bid the DC-9 as soon as possible, then bid back into the DA-20 as Capt., then they have the 1000 hours in the DC-9 and can bid right from the DA-20 Capt. to the DC-9 Capt. Different strokes for different folks.

Last edited:
pg 4 of the PPH

And there you have it! It all makes sense now. I was unaware of the incentive.
Page 4 of the Pilot Policy Handbook, lots of good stuff in there, more coming

Last edited:
There will be a change to the PPH this week establishing flight credit for time in ground and sim training.

Latest resources

Back