• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

USA Jet isn't usual so quiet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes USA Jet will hire pilots that may not be marketable in the larger job market, and retention is something to consider when hiring a pilot. We have no training contract. This could include a pilot with a DUI 5 years ago, to a pilot who was released by Delta Airlines because he failed IOE, to some one who does not have college degree, to a pilot who is in his late 40's, to a variety of reasons. We like military helo drivers, because they will have to stay awhile to get enough fixed wing time. The life events that might disqualify a pilot from getting hired at FedEx, UPS, etc should disqualify a pilot from working in a lower level of the industry. But we do not look for basket cases to fill seats. And surprisingly guys still get jobs at the next level, Net jets, Spirit, Jet Blue, Airtran etc.

Yes USA Jet will hire pilots that may not be marketable in the larger job market, and retention is something to consider when hiring a pilot. We have no training contract. This could include a pilot with a DUI 5 years ago, to a pilot who was released by Delta Airlines because he failed IOE, to some one who does not have college degree, to a pilot who is in his late 40's, to a variety of reasons. We like military helo drivers, because they will have to stay awhile to get enough fixed wing time. The life events that might disqualify a pilot from getting hired at FedEx, UPS, etc should disqualify a pilot from working in a lower level of the industry. But we do not look for basket cases to fill seats. And surprisingly guys still get jobs at the next level, Net jets, Spirit, Jet Blue, Airtran etc.

So Randy, is that the reason you have been "retained" by usajet all these years?

Another reason USA Jet might like helo guys is because some people who make hiring decisions have children who have only helo time and they can then get them hired and promoted out of seniority. They will be making a better living than the guy who earned every hour of his fixed wing as a CFI and doing other grunt flying jobs. I wonder if helo time would be so desirable in a new hire if said persons progeny didn't have helo time.

Again, there may have been a few who had some other "questionable" charges besides fuel, but the #1 name on everyone's lips, the main "culprit" is sitting pretty. But, he has helo time and no college degree and we all know that counts for something. The majority weren't doing anything malicious. I wouldn't be surprised to see a class-action wrongful termination suit coming down the pike, which is definitely going to cost the company more than paychecks. In reality they aren't saving anyone's jobs, they are going to be costing money defending themselves and paying guys to work days off because they will now be short staffed. If it really was some evil guys embezzeling funds that would be one thing, but it's not and this isn't going to stave off other layoffs or paycuts.

So can someone still get a job with no college and a $100,000.00/yr salary in his twenties in this profession? YIP??

No no no, you got it wrong. He said by your thirties, not twenties.

Well, I guess the bright side is that everyone who got fired are now in perfect position to ride that "June 2007 hiring boom" wave! Yeee-hawww!

are you telling tailrotor you are not proud of your rotor wing time? or perhaps you have no rotor wing time and your profile could be incorrect? We do not know who are, you just hide and post, hide and post, hide and post. Makes you feel very secure I am sure.

are you telling tailrotor you are not proud of your rotor wing time? or perhaps you have no rotor wing time and your profile could be incorrect? We do not know who are, you just hide and post, hide and post, hide and post. Makes you feel very secure I am sure.

Randy, you gonna fire him too when you find out who he is?

Guat, Again I am only a score keeper. So I cannot fire him, but I will buy him a beer at the "Wedge". Then we can settle this like adults, instead of one adult and one who has helo time envy. BTW helo guys make up about 25% of our new hire pilot force, some classes have been 100%, they are great employees and easily trained, but I knew that before I hired my son because I had been pursuing military helo pilots since 1998 when we could not find any high time fixed wing pilots for DA-20's. If I could have found a dozen more like them, I would have hired them We needed guys who could make Capt in about 6 months. Our insurance company thinks helo time counts for everything, so we started hiring them. It works.

Maybe it's time that you guys took another union vote. Sure would be nice for these guys to have some legal respresentation to get their jobs back. With morally-bankrupt management cronies acting like hatchet men, maybe it's time to do something about it.

To quote you Randy, "you give me too much credit". I have helo time envy like you have airline job envy. I have helo time, I don't think it earns me any special passes though, I am the kind of guy that believes in the seniority list and fair treatment, maybe a rarity in this industry. But, I have a college degree too, so maybe that should take a few points off my score in your opinion. I don't work at USA Jet anymore, I don't even live in MI (sorry I won't see you at the "Wedge"), but it bothers me to see friends and professionals getting treated so shabbily. Plus, I know how it must irk you that you can't figure it out, obviously since you keep calling me a coward. I'm one wascally wabbit. That's all doc.

Maybe it's time that you guys took another union vote. Sure would be nice for these guys to have some legal respresentation to get their jobs back. With morally-bankrupt management cronies acting like hatchet men, maybe it's time to do something about it.

I am not a big fan of unions, but they do seem to have there place in the aviation industry. Otherwise you stand a good chance of taking it right up the can like these 8 guys. I mean, if Domino's pizza delivery drivers can do it (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14955278/), so can the USA Jet pilot group.

Latest resources

Back