• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US Recalls

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got news for you... You were all about to be furloughed permanently from USAirways and somehow with AWA, I don't think that recall was comin'....

I got news for you... You were all about to be furloughed permanently from USAirways and somehow with AWA, I don't think that recall was comin'....

Thanks for the foresight. My crystal ball is in the shop.

Actually a group of investors, steped in and helped out. Yes, AWA did buy US Airways on paper. You are correct there.

......but hey, stick me in a crj200 for 2 yrs as f/o and 1 yr as capt. and I'm golden......

I don't think "golden" is the word I would use to describe you Crzipilot!

Thanks for the Jumpseat in December, it was good to see you again!!

A furloughee (See definition below) is still an employee of the company
fur·lough
–noun 1.Military. a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person. 2.a usually temporary layoff from work: Many plant workers have been forced to go on furlough. 3.a temporary leave of absence authorized for a prisoner from a penitentiary. –verb (used with object) 4.to grant a furlough to. 5.to lay (an employee or worker) off from work, usually temporarily.

I don't see that anywhere in the definition you provided. I only see the words "layoff from work." Here is a definition off a web dictionary for layoff:

Layoff: 1. When a company eliminates jobs regardless of how good the employees' performance.

In the end, everyone should keep their relative seniority, with no windfalls.

If you were at the top of your old company, you should end up at or near the top of the new organization. Same for the middle and the bottom.

Now, that makes more sense. And according to your conviction, logically, the furloughed guys would be placed on the bottom of the list. After all, the furloughed guys were at the bottom 100% (not working for the company, by the provided definition). And all of the pilots who were working for the two companies at the time had their place on the seniority list, somewhere between 0 and 100%.

Now if a furloughed guy came back in a way proposed by the East, he would go from 100% (below everyone working) to close to 50% up the seniority list. That’s not even close to your relative seniority belief.

… In the end MOST of us are NOT going to be happy with the decision of the arbitrator, and there is nothing we can do about it. And I’m sure the East side feels the same way as we do in the West in that we wish this merger never would have happened!

I don't see that anywhere in the definition you provided. I only see the words "layoff from work." Here is a definition off a web dictionary for layoff:

Layoff: 1. When a company eliminates jobs regardless of how good the employees' performance.

Now, that makes more sense. And according to your conviction, logically, the furloughed guys would be placed on the bottom of the list. After all, the furloughed guys were at the bottom 100% (not working for the company, by the provided definition). And all of the pilots who were working for the two companies at the time had their place on the seniority list, somewhere between 0 and 100%.

Now if a furloughed guy came back in a way proposed by the East, he would go from 100% (below everyone working) to close to 50% up the seniority list. That’s not even close to your relative seniority belief.

… In the end MOST of us are NOT going to be happy with the decision of the arbitrator, and there is nothing we can do about it. And I’m sure the East side feels the same way as we do in the West in that we wish this merger never would have happened!

Well,

I guess we'll know the answer soon enough. We've both got some pretty good points. Really doesn't matter to me because I don't plan on going back, but I hate to see my fellow buds get screwed.

DW

A US Airways guy/gal with 15 years with the company, had a great chance of being recalled with 250 retirements/year. Now the west guys want to jump in front of them and take advantage of the retirements? I don't think so.

A furloughee (See definition below) is still an employee of the company, but is on a stand-by status to be recalled at the proper time. This is a temporary leave because they are overstaffed at the time. They still have employee numbers and can non-rev. This is not to be confused with a resignation, then the person wants to come back. Then you'd have a point.

Some type of even mixture is fair. Now, I'm not suggesting a west guy get furloughed so a prior furloughee can come back. The east furloughees can get jobs as they become available, but with a fair sen number.

There is no way you can convince me a 2 year west guy should go ahead of a 15 year east guy, even if he was on furlough status.

If you were at the top of your old company, you should end up at or near the top of the new organization. Same for the middle and the bottom.

fur·lough
premium.gif
thinsp.png
/ˈfɜr
thinsp.png
loʊ/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fur-loh]Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.Military. a vacation or leave of absence granted to an enlisted person. 2.a usually temporary layoff from work: Many plant workers have been forced to go on furlough. 3.a temporary leave of absence authorized for a prisoner from a penitentiary. –verb (used with object) 4.to grant a furlough to. 5.to lay (an employee or worker) off from work, usually temporarily.

Not to split hairs but you completely contradict yourself. The west list does go be relative seniority just about to the letter. It is the relative seniority of the active pilots. I don't see how you can slot a guy on furlough no matter how many years he has on property above any acitve pilot let alone recall him to a mid seniority line holding captain.

How do you determine the relative seniority of a furloughed pilot? Who on the combined active list is he realtive to? He actually has no seniority due to the fact that he is not on property. His relative seniority number is 101% and higher. If I remember how furlough worked for me I had the career expectation to be recalled to the bottom reserve F/O slot. That is exactly what will happen under the west list. When the retirements occur the furloughed pilots get recalled to the bottom F/O slot. The retirements will effect the whole list not just the west pilots. And remember the West retires about 50 to 60 a year and had airplanes on order.

What you are talking about is Date of hire or years of service. Not relative seniority. Well maybe "relative" seniority.

There is no way you can convince me a 2 year west guy should go ahead of a 15 year east guy, even if he was on furlough status.

I agree. If you are on the top you stay on top, etc. But, guess what, a 15 year east guy who is still on furlough is not just on the bottom, he is below the bottom. He is unemployed and as such should end up below any pilot that is currently employed by USAirways.

A quick glance at the east list with everyone mixed in somewhat even, seem smore fair.

Mixed in somewhat even? Are you high? Our number 1 pilot ends up as number 909 on the new list and that's somewhat even?

Clearly Jet Blew does not do enough random drug testing!

Your number one ends up at 909....with a 7 year fence. When it expires, he ends up very close to number 1 anyway and he can bid whatever he wants....

Hardly a poor place to be with all the retirements coming down the pike.

A350

Latest resources

Back