• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

US DOJ Suing to Block Meger of AMR and US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Philly ramper told me the same thing, he also had few rolex's he wanted to sell me.

I was and am in the same boat as most of the analysts I read. I read every word I can. Although I do appreciate all the great information from the scholarly individuals, such as yourself, who contribute info so that others may benefit.

Source: Doc 45 from the joint filing, paragrpah 16(c)(2)

Michael Boyd (sigh) comment/update ...

link

Update: DOJ Lawsuit v AA/US Merger
.. It's Getting Even More Embarrassing
The Judge has set a trial date in late November to hear the DOJ's suit to stop the AA/US merger.
The DOJ had claimed it needs another seven months - seven, count them, seven - to prepare its case. Say what?
How anybody in the media can report that stuff as-is, where-is without even so much as a raised eyebrow, boggles the mind. It's more than clear why DOJ wants to delay the trial - and it's not because they have tons of data to sift through. They filed a lawsuit, which made a range of accusations, and now they say they need over half a year to back them up. The strategy was to let a trial delay do for them what their lack-of-substance-lawsuit cannot: stop a merger.
Memo to the media: you may want to be more circumspect and a whole lot less gullible when reporting on the DOJ's complaint. Here's a tidbit: they are the DOJ. Just the DOJ. They are not experts on the airline business, and they aren't the last word in accuracy. They are not Batman and Robin coming to the aid of the flying public. That suit originated in a dank office in dank building in Washington, the citadel of political nonsense, not the Throne of Peter.
Another memo: Try to check out the data before assuming it's clean. The majority of the points DOJ made in the complaint were not particularly accurate. But just because it's from the Feds - The Government - The All-High - Big Brother - The Regime - some in the Fourth Estate assume that it's fully reliable. It's not, and anybody who knows the industry and has any access to hard data, knows it.
For example, the supposed "stranglehold" that the merger will give the new AA at Washington Reagan makes great press. But the truth is that forcing the carrier divest slots won't - write this down - won't increase competition. It will merely re-distribute access to DCA to larger cities, in most cases on routes where there won't be any competition, anyway. Further, it will cut access to the rest of the air transportation system from places like Charleston, WV, which accesses substantial connecting via the US Airways hub at DCA.
Then we've seen articles noting that there needs to be concessions regarding the near-certain elimination of US Airways' "Advantage" fares, which the DOT claims to save consumers millions. Reporters: did you ever hear anything about "Advantage" fares before the DOJ interns who threw the complaint together declared them a foundational issue in the suit? Probably not - as with most consumers. Did you bother to review the support data the DOJ gave in the suit to see if were accurate? Y'all might want to do that.
These are aspects that reporters should investigate before putting pen to paper. Again just because it came from the DOJ, it does not mean that it's in the best interests of the flying public or the American people.
Can't Unscramble An Egg. If the first of these post-deregulation mergers - TW/OZ, NW/Republic, and US/PI had been torpedoed, as well as the others since, maybe DOJ would have at least some basis for its argument. But these past deals have created a situation and a marketplace where now, an AA/US merger will paradoxically add consumer options.
It will come out soon enough in the trial. But the fact that the DOJ wanted seven months to "prepare" shows without question that they know they've filed a suit they can't win. At least not on the basis of accurate data and consumerist arguments.
Or, more cogently, on the basis of facts. November 25, the fun starts.

Morally and intellectually bankrupt vermin at teh Dept. Of InJustice.

You old timers disregarded a binding award. No justification is good enough. You handed the Westies a poop sandwich, and I hope you get one back too. You deserve it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Bite youre tongue! You handed the NWA PILOTS a bigger poop sandwich!

Bite youre tongue! You handed the NWA PILOTS a bigger poop sandwich!

What is it with poop fetish. Every post by Westies has to do with poop.

M

Latest resources

Back