Us Airways????

airlinepilot

Total Time
Just read the news in the paper this morning concerning Chap 11 vs. gov't loans inaddition to possible union givebacks...anyone know how many pilots they have already furloughed??? Is there another furlough in the future????

Curious

Vrefus

Total Time
5200+
Thye ahave around 1000 pilots out on furlough right now. Some more were due to go on the 15th of this month but that was pushed up until around October with the RJ deal that the union and company came to.

publisher

Total Time
general

It was on the general board, what does this mean-USAirways.

Not much response, it is what it is.

CoopDog

SWA Pool Dog Paddler
Total Time
US Airways furloughs

There are currently 1070 on furlough by US Airways. There were 1073, but 3 were recalled in their latest J4J (jets for jobs program). An additional 287 were to be furloughed (again), but the deal keeps those guys on the property. Those 287 are supposed to be protected from furlough (per the contract) anyway. With another Force Majure event (let's hope not for all our sakes), then all bets are off for those guys.

I know this may sound NUTS, but my furlough there really was a blessing. I can sum it up with 3 letters.....SWA.

Good luck to all the U furloughees. I wish you all the best. I hope you're all as fortunate as I was. I'll see some of you guys in Dallas real soon. Have a great summer!

KC-10 Driver

Total Time
~7500
It looks like I'll be seeing you in Dallas, Coop. My time at U was fun, but it's time to get on with things now...

Flufdriver

Total Time
U NEWS

Reprinted with permission

"USAIRWAYS ANNOUNCES NON-STOP SERVICE TO BANKRUPTCY

Arlington, VA. - USAirways Group (U) today announced new non-stop service to bankruptcy in continuing effort to compete with other airlines flying East Coast routes."We're definitely excited," cited an anonymous USAirways executive, "we feel with this new nonstop service, our passengers will enjoy a greater flying
experience whether it be with United, Southwest, jetBlue, or even their local taxi cab companies."
In what is being viewed as an "aggressive move" by Wall Street analysts, USAirways has announced cancellation of all flights to Florida. "With the airplanes being constantly full with passengers, our expenses are out of control." said one USAirways representative. " By canceling all of these flights, we will save an estimated $42.00 PER DAY by not using as many trash bags, Attache magazines, and coffee stirrers. We will now begin flying 35 daily nonstop flights from Philadelphia's Terminal B to Philadelphia's Terminal A. Our first class passengers on board these flights will be given complimentary wetnaps and seatbelts."
In another surprise move, USAirways announced it will paint a new livery on each airplane of its fleet within the next 2 years. The traditional "USAirways American flag" will now be replaced with a "white flag" symbolizing a total surrender to other airlines. "We also have a design team working on a paint scheme that will be painted all along our fuselage. It will be a picture of 40-60 USAirways pilots standing shoulder-to-shoulder in solidarity...in the unemployment line, which has long been our tradition here at USAirways."Brent Davis, a 15 year USAirways pilot, agrees. "I was hired in 1987 and since then I have seen the bad times and the good one. The bad times, such
as being furloughed 293 times are hard. But the 148 hours of flying that I have done here since 1987 have been wonderful. I'll never forget that day in June of 1990 when we actually turned a profit for the entire day...that was awesome."USAirways also announced they will shift their strategic focus from business
travelers to deadheading crewmembers. "With 60 to 90 deadheading crewmembers aboard each aircraft, our 3 or 4 revenue paying passengers will enjoy the added safety of knowing that if all of the 30 or 40 captains become incapacitated, there will still be 5 or 10 more on board able to land the aircraft, provided, of course, that they were not notified via the GTE
touchphone on the back of the cabin seats that they were furloughed while enroute."
USAirways also will begin service to Chapter 13, with a short layover in Chapter 11. "
:(

Little Deuce

Total Time
I hope your happy

It is a shame that some take enjoyment out of another airlines troubles. US Airways is a great airline that has had some poor management over the years.

You folks at SWA are riding high right now thats great. But don't let your guard down. We will emerge from this better than ever.

I love US AIR I was with their regionals for almost 18 years before I went to mainline. SWA turned me down in February and they did me a favor. I will be around to help this airline return to greatness.

Good Luck

spinup

Total Time
11000+
Little Duece,

I hear ya brother. In many ways it is the stronger person who rides out the tough times awaiting a recall, rather than jumping ship at a quick opportunity. Check this board in three years. If history repeats SWA'ers will be in hiring pools with other airlines.

I don't work for US Airways, but it makes me sick to read negativity directed to any airline by the pilot group. There is nothing to be gained by this.

When US Airways recovers, enjoy the reward for your loyalty thru a contract never to be rivaled by a low fare operator.

pb4ufly

Just a Member
Total Time
"USAIRWAYS ANNOUNCES NON-STOP SERVICE TO BANKRUPTCY"

Flufdriver - you have no class.

Jakeair

Total Time
Cut Flufdriver some slack !

It's all about US air's management. Not the pilots.

P.S. SWA will be around as long as it's management keeps thinking "outside the Box".

reepicheep

Total Time
Once upon a time there was an up-and-coming airline that was the darling of Wall St. Always made a profit, hired pilots every year and never furloughed. Lauded for being the most fiscally conservative carrier in the industry with the strongest balance sheet. Pilots were quitting Eastern, TWA, and Pan Am to come and work for this company and check out to the left seat in 5 years and enjoy one of the best lifestyles and working agreements in the industry. There was just no stopping these guys....until reality set in in the early 90's for this airline, USAir.

If anyone in this industry, and I don't care who he works for, thinks he's got it made in the shade and is in a position to look down his nose and mock the "have nots", then that person simply shows his ingnorance of history. Remember, "How the mighty have fallen".

Gloating ain't cool.

eaglefly

Banned
Total Time
....and they'll be looking for DOH at other (far more healthy) carriers when they collapse into the break-up mode. Just like TWA they'll say " we WERE a respectable airline until our management ran us into the ground". Maybe so, but if part of your carcass is recesutated by other "healthy" carriers it will be unrealistic to expect a red carpet. Good Luck, U will sooner or later "pop up" like regular toast.

KC-10 Driver

Total Time
~7500
Why do some people seem to take pleasure in the misfortune of others? US Airways isn't anywhere close to being gone yet, and may yet end up being a very strong carrier (look at Continental). No one ever knows where the industry will go, so it is bad form to make prognostications (this applies especially to us ignorant drivers).

Nobody (at least nobody reasonable) wants any carrier to fail -- it is only bad for all of us. And, if a carrier does get into difficulty, you can't blame the employees of the bought carrier. Just like the U-UAL managements never asked me my opinion on that aborted merger, the TWA-AMR managements never asked any of my TWA-AAL friends their opinions.

It makes no sense to sling mud -- the job is too much fun to let it get you down.

And, like reepicheep says, "gloating ain't cool."

samjack

Total Time
Flufdriver, its sad that you have to bash other airlines. If you saw one of your family members out on the street, would you post something like that about them? Sick. You know how this industry works and it is very unstable. We all need to stick together. Flufdriver, seeing as how SWA is, you should be talking in the regionals section. When you actually need a passport to fly and you are flying a plane that doesn't have SWEET orange hubcaps, come back in here and talk. Flufdriver you can't piss like a puppy when you want to run with the big dogs! I hope you never cross my desk when you need a job at our airline when your goes tits up.

Little Deuce

Total Time
Thank you!

I really thought I was going to get slamed by some for my previous post.

Thanks for all the support!

LearLove

Total Time
12000+
Cut Fluf Some Slack

Hey guys I didn't think JR ment the post(s) in ill will. He's just copying them from the Allegheny Pilots email loop. Those posts have been going around for a couple of days. In fact I think one was written by one of our pilots.

Also look at Flufs quals, he used to be one of us (13+ at ALG) and was lucky enough to get out while the gettin was good.

Little Duece - I really feel for the way you guys were treated in this whole deal, I'm truely sorry, I looked forward to flying with you guys but it looks like I'll be downgraded when you guys get the ax. O well so much for the 1000 pic and SWA dream for now (gettin the downgrade 200 hours short). It sucks for all of us.
I helped a good friend get a job here in Jan 02 and know he'll be on the street too, I feel like an ass.

Hey I see the DHC-7 in your quals, did you fly for Ransome out of PNE? I sure miss him, he was a great guy/pilot.

reepicheep - Fukin' A brother, Amen to that

"If anyone in this industry, and I don't care who he works for, thinks he's got it made in the shade and is in a position to look down his nose and mock the "have nots", then that person simply shows his ingnorance of history. Remember, "How the mighty have fallen"."

Take Care

Last edited: