US Airways to start accepting apps.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Build the TPIC. Then take your shot.

That being said. In the not to distant Future US Airways will begin retiring one pilot approximately every 30 hours. You will not be on the 190 very long.

It's a tough call. I live near PHL but am just starting regional CA pay (70 - 80.000/yr).

I could deal with a few years at < 50.000 (wife's got a good job) but what if they shrink and furlough? Just worried that a merger or a reduction in flying for USAir might be more likely than it would happen at the regional where I work now.

Might be better to keep building TPIC. No?

Any airline can shrink and furlough and it is always a gamble to start over at the bottom. All the legacy airlines furloughed the last round. US Airways is close to the minimum fleet count per the pilot contract (not that they couldn't chose to violate it). Massive retirements starting very soon so I don't see how they could furlough. It would have to be a dire situation that liquidation was imminent.

As I see it there will eventually be three legacy carriers and US Airways is a ticket to working for one of the big three.

Question you have to ask is do you want to stick around and build turbine PIC if offered a job. You could be giving up lots of seniority.

Disclaimer: I did have many thousands of jet PIC when I got hired so I didn't need to stick around at my regional. I did get furloughed from Airways as well but it was actually a really great experience (Pennsylvania unemployment sure helped).

It's a tough call. I live near PHL but am just starting regional CA pay (70 - 80.000/yr).

I could deal with a few years at < 50.000 (wife's got a good job) but what if they shrink and furlough? Just worried that a merger or a reduction in flying for USAir might be more likely than it would happen at the regional where I work now.

My experience with regionals tells me is riskier to stay with them in the long run, even if you are a wholly owned. Look at AA eagle now. Me personally would prefer to have my seniority number in at a legacy. But that's just me.

Massive retirements coming up. Company is in good financial health + they cant really shrink anymore.

It is just a matter of time before USAIR is merged with someone. You could get on now and move up the list with retirements, then when they merge you will have some built in senority at whatever the new company is.

Everybody keeps talking about mergers like it's inevitable. It's not. Make your decision based on the current status quo, IMHO. Expect no merger, expect no new contract. Only thing you can really count on is the retirements.

You think another group is going to want to enter a SLI debacle with USAPA? Why would any group believe that you would honorably enter an agreement to merge list? That merger would be more of a disaster than your first one. Think of all the lawsuits that would arise that would bog down the integration. I think you have made your bed and you will make it or break it on your own.

You think another group is going to want to enter a SLI debacle with USAPA? Why would any group believe that you would honorably enter an agreement to merge list? That merger would be more of a disaster than your first one. Think of all the lawsuits that would arise that would bog down the integration. I think you have made your bed and you will make it or break it on your own.

Yeah, because how easy the pilot groups will merge is all that management looks at when decided whether or not to merge airlines. :p

I think they do now!

Dude, I think your brain might be as small as a squirrel on that one. They don't give a rats what happens to the pilot groups or any other group for that matter. It's all about how much they can profit from a merger. Da benjamins homie! It's all about da paper!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back