• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WSurf

The Smack Down!
Coming from another message board......

Company is sending out ~1700 recall letters.
This will be all the way to the end of the list.
You will either accept recall or forfeit recall rights.
Again, this from a very reliable source.
Looking for ~220 on this next recall for July time frame.

I doubt they can do that, unless they are actually recalling 1700. You can't accept a recall for a job that isn't there.

maybe, maybe not

There is considerable debate about the contractual legality of such a move. They can't possibly recall 1700 pilots at once. From what I understand, the recall letter needs to basically be a firm offer in order to qualify as the "S*** or get off the pot" letter where you have to make a final decision, and in no way can the company argue that 1700 firm recall offers are being made by this. This is likely management's poor attempt at culling the herd and keeping longevity as low as possible for upcoming classes (new hires at first year pay versus guys with years and years of seniority/longevity). I doubt it will be enforceable but stranger things have happened.

I agree they shouldn't be able to do that. You'd be surprised though at what our management thinks they have a legal right to do.

Ah yes, The New and Improved USAirways - which sucks only slightly less than the Old and Sucky USAirways......................

I agree they shouldn't be able to do that. You'd be surprised though at what our management thinks they have a legal right to do.

They either have the legal right to do this, or they don't, it all depends on your contractual language and your MEC's ability to defend it.

All kidding aside, good luck.

Even if they did start recalling the entire remaining list and say half take the offer it will still be a year to 18 months before they get everyone in class and flying the line.

rumor has it, 40/month for the rest of the year.... There is a June 7th class, which is the last class to fill for the previouisly announced 160 recalls. 19 in that June 7th class, and probably a class towards the end of the month, then 2/month 20/class for the rest of the year.....

this will either go through the list quickly, as they are already at July7th, 99 hire date for the May 21st. class. Or the seniority list will be finished by then, and will make up the minds of those senior, as to what they are going to do.

In 1999 they were hiring 100 pilots a month. It still took until late 2000 to get 1,149 "newhires" through training and online.

ALPA better head this off at the pass if they're going to send letters to all of the remaining furloughees asking them to make that decision. That's not how the contract is worded.

Latest resources

Back