US Airways raises the offer to 10.2 Billion

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Getting a little nervous.

Naah, because either way, I still have a job. You, and your company (midwest) with the buyout from Air Tran, now that's another story.... I sure hope you make sure you have your staple remover handy chucky, because after the AT guys get done sodomizing you, you'll wish you had gotten hired origionally at Air Tran.
Justice is so sweeeeeet!:beer:

Naah, because either way, I still have a job. You, and your company (midwest) with the buyout from Air Tran, now that's another story.... I sure hope you make sure you have your staple remover handy chucky, because after the AT guys get done sodomizing you, you'll wish you had gotten hired origionally at Air Tran.
Justice is so sweeeeeet!:beer:

I like pretending to be Chucky. Justice is sweeet. I'm not too worried about being stapled at my company. What they offer for you guys?. 10 Billion. I think we made about that amount in the last two years. Call me Chuck if it makes you happy and relieves the stress from your life. You got a storm out in front of you, what you going to do? Good luck big guy.

I thought he meant he was a little nervous about AAI buying MEH. LOL

Please let your MEC know that you don't mind being stapled, we AAI F/O's appreciate your sacrifice. ;)

p.s. JK, wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone, that crap comes around and bites you eventually.

When your Delta is my bitch, I will celebrate by consuming many beers.

We can scream Oberstar, DOJ, Lafayetteville and er'thing else...but in the end none of us "aviation experts" know jack schitt.

I don't think the General has ever stated the deal will not go through. He believes it will not and tries to back up his beliefs with articles, quotes and his own opinion. At least he promotes healthy debate.

:eek:

PHXFLYR:cool:

Where did you get a break up of Delta? First off, the DOJ would never allow this because of the severe overlap (UA/US had only one hub overlap (IAD/DCA) and it was turned down---we have 3), and if for some reason they did, NWA will step in and DL management will endorse that deal, which will probably have about the same amount of money involved. USAir will be out in the cold, regardless. You need to relax pal.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General I don't believe severe overlapping is gonna cause this deal to not go thru! If the companies merge the overlapping will be taken care of!!
The airline industry needs mergers! Do I think Delta and US Airways makes sense? No!!
But overlapping is the least of the DOJ's worries!!

Everyone remember.... Money Talks, Bull$hit Walks!!!

Last edited:
General I don't believe severe overlapping is gonna cause this deal to not go thru! If the companies merge the overlapping will be taken care of!!
The airline industry needs mergers! Do I think Delta and US Airways makes sense? No!!

Get ready the General is going to say "Oberstar" soon!

Wow, you must know what you are talking about....?

Well Wsurf, it is GREAT you think overlap isn't going to stop a merger. Unfortunately, a lot of other people do. You tell them, Sport! This article was from yesterday:

What's more, a potential merger between Delta and Northwest would have a great chance at receiving the necessary regulatory approval than would a Delta-US Airways deal. While Delta and US Airways compete head-to-head in many Eastern and Southeastern markets, there's far less overlap between Delta, whose strength is its Southeastern network, and Northwest, which has major hubs in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Memphis. That would mean fewer layoffs, and fewer of the cutbacks in service that would likely rile lawmakers in Washington.
By contrast, some industry insiders fear that a combination of Delta and US Airways would have a hard time passing muster with regulators. While US Airways officials remain confident that they would be able to divest enough assets to appease antitrust regulators—such as selling off one of the Washington-to-New York shuttle operations the two carriers run—some airline experts fret that a US Airways-Delta merger would give the combined carrier too much control over many second-tier markets like Charleston, S.C. "The Department of Justice will have a hard time approving this deal," says Michael Boyd, an aviation consultant based in Evergreen, Colo.

Already, some of the new Democratic leaders in Congress are voicing their opposition and threatening to derail the US Airways bid for Delta. "This proposal is ill-conceived and designed primarily for the benefit of US Airways," says Rep. James L. Oberstar (D-Minn.), the new chairman of the House Transportation Committee. "I think we can slow it down and eventually stop it."

Now, if you can come up with something that could back up your statements, I would welcome it. Really.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Get ready the General is going to say "Oberstar" soon!

See above post. You try to make fun, but then his name actually appears and his comments mirror mine. Isn't that funny?? But, he could actually stop a merger...

Bye Bye--General Lee

But, he could actually stop a merger...

Bye Bye--General Lee

You keep saying that, but it's not true. Senator Oberstar can't stop anything himself. He can hold hearings and make recommendations, but only the DOJ can stop this. Oberstar only has the power to recommend, not to stop the merger.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back